4000 Gallon Pond Complete!

Guest Jennkerry

Guest Jennkerry

We are finally finished with getting the backyard pond together. We built it last Sept and stuck the fish in from the front pond so they could winter over. The weather became nice FINALLY (NJ sux) and we got all our flowers together, finished the waterfall and built a flower box to fit over my in ground pressure filter. I think everything came together well! The end result, 12x15 oval 4' deep in the center and 3' deep around the diameter.

Pondfull6-4-08.jpgPondwaterfall6-4-08.jpgPond6-4-08.jpgFlowerBox.jpg

Guest Jennkerry

Well THANK YOU!! Im very obsessive when it comes to just about everything. I try as hard as I can to make it look as professional as possible. I cant stop until I think it looks good. My husband was happy with it when I was only half done, but NOOOO, I gotta keep going and going...and going. Now, we are in the process of TRYING to get the grass growing back around the pond.

We had really nice grass around the deck last year, but with all the digging and leveling the area, you lose a lot of turf! Pulling weeds to keep from choking the baby grass is another task.

We battled a terrible cycle this year because I listened to an employee at a LFS and bought bacteria and algacide. Deadly combo used together I must add. We almost lost 2 of our Koi due to lack of oxygen and high ammonia. But somehow, sheer luck pulled them through. It took about a month for them to regain strength and swimming ability. It was BAD! But they are troopers and came back around.

We are now in the market for a butterfly Koi.

Fantastic pond!!! I love it! :D The plantings look great in there, too. I'm sure the fish will love it!

(BTW: I am glad to see that I am not the only one who weeds grass. :lol1 )

We battled a terrible cycle this year because I listened to an employee at a LFS and bought bacteria and algacide. Deadly combo used together I must add. We almost lost 2 of our Koi due to lack of oxygen and high ammonia. But somehow, sheer luck pulled them through. It took about a month for them to regain strength and swimming ability. It was BAD! But they are troopers and came back around.

I'm glad your babies made it through that!! I hate it when LFS employees give bad advice. Students needing money does not a fish expert make.

Really, it is so gorgeous. The deck is really nice, too! I understand your perfectionism... I'm the same way. :P

Wow, that looks amazing, and completely professional, too!! And you chose a great place for it. You can sit on the deck and look down on the fish. (I'm jealous, houses around here don't have decks! Everything is just flat!)

I love all the rockwork you did, too. Did you buy those rocks or just go find them all? Either way, they look very nice and natural.

How many GPH is the waterfall? And I love the idea of hiding everything under a flower box. I would have never thought of that!

Guest Jennkerry

Well, this is my first LARGE pond, so when I took the advice, I thought because it was a large pond, I had to do something different. My pond in the front is a preformed 110 gallon and had never seen a problem. I know now to stick to what works.

We had the deck built last spring, hey for $2500 to get a 16x16 deck, I couldnt pass that up!! Yea we had some issues with the builder, but overall it came out great. My husband was the one who said, "How bout we put a big pond off the side of the deck so we have something to look out over" We initially were going to do it this spring, but I wanted to have it done so I could concentrate on gardening come this spring. So, Sept 3rd was the start date and I think it was done being dug out and water in it by the last week of Sept.

I gotta tell you guys, Im a bargan shopper, and I got the best deals without cutting corners. First:

My liner was purchased off Ebay, its not a rubber liner its something else, some type of plastic mesh type. From what I gather it lasts longer then a traditional rubber liner. Its tougher to work with, it doesnt lay like the rubber does but I dont regret getting it. I think it was $230.

The rocks, I am lucky. The flat large rock around the pond we picked up for free from my husbands friends who does stone facing on houses. They gave us the pick of the extras they had. Apparently my husband says this is like $5000 worth of stone! I wouldnt pay that!!! But, some will I guess.

The round river rock we got for a STEAL!! If anyone is local, there is a place called Haines Landscaping in Cinnaminson NJ that sells pond stuff pretty cheap. We picked up 1 ton of river rock for $60!!!!!! The local pond store is selling 1 ton of stone for $245!

Skimmer, pump are all Ebay too, both costing around $100 each. And I have a seperate UV that I got from Fostersmith. My GPH are 4000, its a Calpump. I had another pump that seemed to give more torque but was 750 watts, so I got the Calpump that is only 175 watts with the sam GPH. I dont want to see another $200 electric bill please.

Im running a seperate 1000 GPH for the UV, so I have 2 pumps sitting in my skimmer.

The only thing is, I seem to get some afternoon surface algae blooms. I know I need more plants, but I didnt know if it had something to do with anything else other then the sun.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

That looks really nice!

A neighbor has a small pond, we went there for a party and their koi had gotten so big they could barely move. They were bigger than I have ever seen! I didn't say anything about the poor fish because she is sensitive to criticism.

• 1 month later...