Is It Ok To Salt A Fry Tank?

kusackaid

The fry in question are about 2 1/2 months old. I am wondering if it is ok to add salt while the tank cycles to help with the nitrite spikes which I am sure are going to start showing up soon. If so, how high of a lvl would you reccomend? 0.1? or could they tolerate up to the 0.3?

Some of my fry got ich at about 2 months. I salted to 0.2% and the ich went and the fry were fine-ish with it. I say fine-ish because a couple did "choke" at the surface as I raised the bar to 2 and then 2 & a half which is why I came back down to 0.2%.

If you are going to salt a fry tank you should do it in 0.5 increments. Very, very slowly to allow for their immature ability to deal with shock and any kind of change. It really is not ideal to have nitrites in a tank with fry IMO, even if there is salt in it. Developing internal organs may be affected even though the salt may act as a salve to the gills.

Following Trinket's advice, I, too, salted to 0.2 for ich. It worked - the salt being the most gentle treatment available for fry.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you develop a cycle ELSEWHERE for your fry - fishless or with a filter on a cycled tank or switching media or WHATEVER. Do not let your fry sit in water that has ammonia or nitrite or even very high nitrate. It will have dramatic effects on their growth, immunities and overall health. Fry subjected to nitrites and even ammonia in such delicate formative days will never recover and grow correctly.

Have you considered careful use of zeolite for the fry until such time you can grow a cycle elsewhere?

I don't have any zeolite, and no money to buy anything right now either. I have been doing daily wc and adding prime to keep the ammonia lvls as low as possible and detox what I can't remove each day. So far the highest it has gotten to is .5 I check the parameters twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night.

I do have other tanks I could possibly steal/trade/seed media from. I didn't do this when moving the fry because I wanted to not bring in anything the older fish may have in their tanks but be immune to. Especially after I carefully nuked the tank the fry were going into.

The easiest and fastest way to seed the fry tank would probably be to switch the bags of crushed coral between the fry tank and their parents tank. I know I would have to watch the big tank closely for a cycle bump, but there are lots of other media in that tank that the bbs are living in. In the past that tank has always defied belief with the stability of the cycle even through removal of half the media (before I knew that I didnt have to change out the ceramic cylinders).

Thanks for the info about the salt, even with seeding the filter I think I will salt for a bit. I was thinking the same thing about adding the salt in increments of half what I would for adult fish.