Best Diet For Fish With Swimbladder Problem

I have black moor with swimbladder problems more or less since I got her, she is fine when i feed her peas, broccoli, assorted veg and bloodworm etc but as soon as i feed her any type of dried food (which I always soak for 2 mins before) she starts finding it difficult to swim to the bottom of the tank................she does eventually get there, but I hate seeing her struggle

I must admit, I am always tempted to feed her veg to avoid watching her struggle to the bottom of tank, but i don't want to deprive her of a proper diet, plus she shares with an oranda who has no problems at all

I find that feeding mine too much of anything can cause floating (I have two ryukins who suffer from this too). Try various frozen food like krill or mysis shrimp. They are wet, so they don't contain any air.

If you are able to get it, I'd also recommend any of the commercial mixed frozen food. (Not sure what you have available there). But just keep him away from any of the dried foods, or soak them for longer than 2 minutes if you do decide to use them occasionally.

If you are open to making your own food, try this:

2 jars baby food peas (a total of 10 ounces)

1/2 c water

About 1/2 cup assorted fish food (pellets, krill, blood worms, etc.)

2 packets plain gelatin

Sprinkle the gelatin on top of the water and let it soak for 5 minutes or so. Combine all ingredients in a blender whir until smooth. Pour into a 9 x 9 glass dish and refrigerate overnight. Slice into cubes. Scatter the cubes on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, then transfer into a ziploc bag and store frozen. Thaw a few cubes each day and feed. Fish like this and it gives you the laxative benefit of peas with the nutritional benefit of other foods.

I agree with jsrtist that overfeeding is a major cause of floating trouble in goldfish. I have a ryukin who was floating belly up after most meals a few months ago until I realized that I was feeding too much. Since I have cut back on frequency of feeding and amount fed at each meal he is not having trouble any more. Now I am able to feed him normal food (ProGold and other pellets).

I agree that gel food may help - I have a fish or two that really need the gel food to keep them more stable in the water. But you really want to make the gel food SINKING.

If you sprinkle the gel onto the water and then add it and whir up all the ingredients in the blender - you will make FLOATING gel food - NOT GOOD.

Instead, put your fresh veggies and your dry food (Any type you want - sinking, flakes, etc) into a pot on the stove with a minimum of water. Heat them just to boiling to blanch the veggies and to throughly soak the pellets - softening them. Whir THIS MIXTURE up in the blender until it is a fine slurry.

Add you gel to the cool water and then GENTLY STIR IT INTO THE VEGGIE MIXTURE. Put that into a pan or plate or whatever, cool and slice into pieces. I freeze the chunks and then only thaw what I need for a feeding.

I agree that gel food may help - I have a fish or two that really need the gel food to keep them more stable in the water. But you really want to make the gel food SINKING.

If you sprinkle the gel onto the water and then add it and whir up all the ingredients in the blender - you will make FLOATING gel food - NOT GOOD.

Thanks for the clarification on the recipe, Daryl. I have made it both ways and not had trouble with floating food, even when the whole mixture is whirred in the blender. I am sure the results would be more consistent with your instructions, however. :)

Thanks for all your replies. I will certainly try the frozen food and have a go at making the gel food too

You can experiment, too, and make different types of gel food. I've made some with shrimp, some only veggies, and some for color enhancing, with carrots. Have fun and make a variety!

Yes variety is key for sure.

As well as all the great tips above just wanted to say be very careful to chuck old food, especially now it's getting warmer and more humid in many parts of the world. Processed food really does not last as long as we expect. Some of the big names in fish breeding chuck their packet processed foods 3 months after opening it note: this is regardless of expiry date.

There are ways to keep it fresh longer of course but some owners think its okay to leave the packet open or in the sunshine or use wet fingers to dip in and take a pinch etc etc all of which destroys nutritional content. After a certain time with the pack open for example you may as well feed cardboard. If fish get floaty after processed food it is a consideration that often gets overlooked.

I just went through a terrible time with my floaty oranda. The ONLY foods that would not make him float were collard greens, kale, scallops and clams. Even peas made him float!

Some of the foods that came highly recommended while I was experimenting were the Mazuri brands of gel food. Some get great results and some just can not use it. It is worth a try though and will give the other fish in your tank a great source of nutrition. What Trinket said about throwing out old food is soooooo true! Do not try to feed gel food that is more than a few days old!

If Mazuri doesn't work, try the gel food recipes here at Koko's. I took a simple recipe and substituted the ingredients that agreed with him along with multivitamin and acidopholus. If you can find a mortar and pestle instead of blending, that is a real bonus.

After reading everything here, I have ditched all foods I had and started afresh as I did not know when some of them had been opened as I tried to vary food from day to day.

I have now bought some frozen bloodworms to be going on with and also stocked up on Hikari Flake food, Nishi- Aquaria Sinking pellet, Hikari SinKing Wafers and some freeze dried krill, then some frozen broccoli, peas, spinach and carrots and some gelatin to try making my own food

Question is, where do I go from here..................the gelatin I have says Fine Leaf Gelatine quick dissolving it is 25gm, 15 leaves and says enough to set approx 1.25 litres/2 pints of liquid..........I have never used this before so don't have a clue what to do, do I use one leaf or a couple or whole pack????? I am a useless cook for human food so will need all the help I can get for doing this