Fry And Other Fish

lclayton

For some reason the filter in my white clouds tank malfunctioned and things rapidly went downhill in their tank. Typically it was the one night I was away from home. I caught them just in time but they were in a bad way. I put them in a bucket of water taken from the goldfish fry tank and left them for two days. They gradually revived and seemed perfectly ok, but obviously living in a bucket was not ideal for them. I've put them in the fry tank - the biggest fry are roughly the same size as the minnows although I do have some significantly smaller. My minnow tank was in such a bad state I had to completely start again with it, it's gonig to take a wee while to cycle, so the minnows and fry (and my hillstream loach) should be ok together for now, right?

your white clouds might eat the fry.

i had molly fry that i had taken out of my main molly tank and put in with my 8 white clouds thinking "the fry can't possibly fit in their mouths... they'll be safe in there with the white clouds" boy was i wrong!!! i personally saw one chase down a fry and eat it~! :(

so not cool~! i then spent a good hour or so trying to find the other fry i put in there with the minnows! :krazy:

They'll be doing me a favour if they eat the little scrawny ones but the majority are about the same size as the minnows so that should be ok. Any problems with fin nipping?

Male white clouds will nip a bit with other fish similar in size and coloring to themselves. They see the other fish as rival males and want to keep them away from the females.

On the other hand, the group of wcmm I have don't seem to have a taste for fry. They could care less about trying to eat other fish of any size, as long as it isnt threatening to try and win the females over!

Is there any plant cover in your fry tank?

I do have some plant cover, yes. I haven't witnessed any problems so far...but I just feel something isn't quite right with this set up and I'll be happier when they're out of there.