Culling

Of my three remaining fry, only two are really thriving. Twitch, who'd been different right from the start, is not growing properly. He's 2/3 the size of the others. His spine is bent upwards towards the tail fin, and his belly is expanding in an abnormal proportion. He's still somewhat transparent, while the others have got their fry color. He's still swimming and eating, but he spends a lot of time at the top of the water and upside down.

He's not developing correctly. I thought we would have lost him ages ago, but he's still getting along.

My questions are:

Should I keep him, or would it be better to cull him?

If culling, ... how does one do such a thing? I know the various methods for euthanasia but ... I don't think I could actually do it. There were only 4 of them from the start, not hundreds, and they're my very first fry. I'm attached.

Please advise. :(

Likewise I've had problems with whether to cull or not. Nature appears to be taking its course in my tank though. After 4 months I still have around 30 fry. The smaller ones are dying off and/or being eaten I think. Some of the ones I had identified as definite culling candidates, with bent fins, swimming in circles etc, have turned into lovely little fish and are coping well. I think as you have so few, I would leave this fry and see what happens. Others may have more practical opinions though.

You never know with fry which ones wil end up being the best survivors. Last year I had a small number of fry (about 12 I think) by the time I got a seperate tank for them. My large fry that seemed to be thriving died off, and I ended up with one of the tiny scrawny ones with a deformed tail that is the only remaining one. Now s/he is doing well and definitely has the fat goldfish look going on, also his tail has grown out on the funny side so you have to look close to see where it had grown wierd the first few months.

If you decide to euthanize clove oil is the easiest and gentlest way to go. If you are really attached to him, give him a chance, he may suprise you.

• 3 weeks later...

Joy, I'm glad you asked this question. I've had that question, too. I can't even bear to cull my flowers that self-seed, let alone a little living pet! But I am also worried about being overrun with tiny fishes. I've read that clove oil is recommended, too. Such a sad topic.