Sign in to follow this  
Guest theerer3

All Fish Starting To Get Sick! (one Read Streaks In Fin, Others Listless At Bottom)

Guest theerer3

Fish are doing VERY well, haven't seen ich for a solid day or two now (they may have dropped down), but I'm keeping up with the treatments. Sounds like I might as well throw in the fluke meds? Or based on their behavior save it?

They are swimming around and are back to their old selfs!!!

Guest theerer3

Roger that. Will do the Prazi starting tonight. The pleco is in his own tank at .2% salt. Will he eat fish flakes? I'm not sure if I will put him back in the regular tank as he doesn't mix well with regular fish. I may just try to sell him or something.

So far water has maintained it's good state.

I'm planning on keeping up a 5 gal water change per day (~7%), or should I do 10 gal changes? (~15%) per day? Is that too frequent?

Guest theerer3

All, fish are doing extremely well, behavior has been normal for a solid week and I've had the water at .3% salt for a good week now. I haven't seen any real signs of ich in about 6 days, the water readings are all still great.

The fin rot on my koi is all cleared up as well.

The only thing is that I am now noticing a VERY small black marks on my one goldfish's tail. IT's very tiny but there's a small mark on his dorsal and more on his rear fins. it's only on the outter edge of the fins.

Any ideas what this could be if anything?

I haven't started the prazi yet as they recommend no water changes during the treatment period - and since I need to be doing serious vacuuming during ich treatment that wouldn't work. I was planning on doing the prazi treatment tomorrow or monday after one more vacuum of the bottom.

There are also very small whitish marks on the gills of my black moore. they def. do not look like ich as they are a dul white and actually a little larger than the ich i've seen before.

Thoughts? Just would like some more info on how to bring it home! Thanks so much!!!

the black marks may be ammonia burns healing..

keep an eye on them and see if they disappear at all over the next few days or week or so.

as for the white marks, i can't say i know what that might be.

:) i'll leave the diagnosing and such to pixie and imo.

glad to hear things are taking a turn for the better in your tank though. :D

Guest theerer3

Ahhh tough call on those spots in that picture, wish I could get a clear picture for you. The spots in the picture you have the link to see brighter than the spots I have. If they are "breeding spots" do they like come and go with "breeding season"? I only have one black moore in my tank.

I'm more worried about the black streaks on my goldfishes tail.........they seems to be bigger than they were before.....

I am definately no expert on the breeding stars on fish but I do know that they come and go dpending on the season. I have seen younger fish have less pronounced stars than older fish...... kinda like fishy puberty. You don't need to have another "black moore" for your male to show his stars......... he can and will likely breed with any female in your tank. So if you all of a sudden notice him chasing your other goldfish around and acting quite disruptive that may just be breeding behavior.

As far as the marks in your other ones tail and dorsal. Ich will/can cause little sores where it was attached to the fish and these spots you are seeing now could be those spots healing. It could also be amonia burns that are healing. Black marks on a fish usually are signs of healing after an injury of some kind. But to keep an eye on them, if they keep getting larger and then the centers disappear creating holes then I am definately wrong. Pictures may really help ....... even if they are not completely clear but you can see the spots they may help.

I have a red capped oranda who has displaced anal fins. So she is continually getting full amonia contacting the one fin constantly. For a few weeks she will have pretty little white fins, then the one will start turning kinda brown, then slowly it gets darker and darker until it is black, then it slowly starts lightening up until it is white again for about 3 weeks then the cycle starts all over again. A friend of mine suggested that I cut that fin off so that she wouldn't keep going through this ............ I opted to just increase current in my tank and take water changes up a notch and her anal fins don't seem to burn as often or as badly as they did before. She still gets burns but not nearly as bad. I think she may grow out of it as she grows too but I am not sure.

It is good to hear that your fish are doing better!! Keep up the GREAT work, you and your fish will be greatful for it in the long run!!

Guest theerer3

All thanks for your comments and feedback.

The amonia in the tank has not been at any high level for at least 4-5 months and likely longer with this fish. He's my oldest (had him about 10 months now). So I don't see why it would be amonia burns.....

The black is DEFINITELY A LOT WORSE TODAY. It's all over his fins now and even on his scales. The tank is still at .3% salt - is it perhaps from the high salt levels? I can't imagine he has something else, we've been at .3% for a good 8 days now. Was planning on keeping the salt at .3% until Friday, then start doing water changes to drop it down slowly.

Please help with regards to the black fins, I'll try to get a picture tonight to help, but it's probably quadrupled in size and number!

Guest theerer3

These are not pics of my fish, but ones I found online that look nearly identical to what my fish looked like a day or two ago. NOW, the fish has this black stuff all over it's dorsal and rear fins and even on multiple scales on it's body! I hope it's nothing major!

Guest theerer3

Link to Fish Pics

Sorry, for some reason i could not post the pics I talked about above. Take a look at the 3rd, 4th, and 5th pictures, this is what I'm talking about, but my fish now has far more than this and it has migrate to it's body (not just fins).

Edited by theerer3

i suspect the black is healing too. my fish, Fisher, had black-ish gray smudges all over him after my toxic water incident and his near-death experience. i handled him a bit during this time, and i think this, coupled with bad conditions and an infection, damaged his slime coat.

here are some pictures from that time... none are that great, but does it look similar to what you're seeing?

fisher10.jpg

fisher13.jpg

fisher14.jpg

Guest theerer3

Yeah I would say those are similar. Mine has spots all over it and the tail is worse. I tried to take pictures but it's too hard plus I have trouble posting them within here.

So I should just ride it out???

Planning on starting the Prazi on Thursday - haven't seen any signs of ich in over a week.

I basically just rode it out with Fisher. I kept water as perfect as possible and salted. Someone else might be better off to tell you if the Prazi will effect the healing, but from the little I know Prazi is supposed to be fairly gentle.

Fisher was pretty depleted by the black-smudge part of his healing (sort of mid-way through the episode) -- he was literally near death before though (on his side with barely any gill movement, red streaks everywhere, missing scales). Shortly after this he developed a columnaris infection that I had to treat for... it was a long road, but he's perfectly recovered now and back to his old, spazzy self.

That's wonderful news! It's good to hear he's made it through recovery. Any signs of breeding behaviour yet?

Guest theerer3

What would signs of breeding behavior be? No one here at all is concerned about the massive black spots and marks all over my goldie! That makes me more concerned hahaha and my wife is flipping out saying it's bacteria.

how many days since they first started appearing?

also, let us know if they keep getting bigger, stop "spreading", or get smaller.

another question... what kind of lighting do you have on your tank, and how often do you keep them on? :)

Guest theerer3

It's been about....3-4 days. 2 days since they "exploded" meaning a large increase. It's pretty much all over the body and all over the fins. His fins are still up, swimming fine, etc. nothing out of the ordinary - the water is perfect as well.

We have florescent lighting (I'm assuming by the long tube) and keep it on only about 2 hrs a day (we're never home).

Seems to be the same amount of blackness over the last day or two, but it def. hasn't shrunk.

:) IF they are ammonia burns, or burns as sign of healing...

they should eventually begin to fade away.

i also noticed that on my fish, they will darken if i keep the lights on for long periods of time.

if the fish are fine, water parameters are fine, then i'm thinking that it's just a sign of healing.

of course it would still be wise to keep a close eye. ;)

How are things, Theerer? Fish doing any better? :)

Guest theerer3

Hey all,Fish are still going strong! They have fully recovered and have been going for about 3 weeks strong - everything seems to be normal.I do have a question though. My water has very recently gotten very cloudy. (Greenish). I've still been measuring the water regularly and it's all good.0 Amonia10 nitrate0 nitrite7.4-7.6 ph. (is the pH to high?)I thought it was due to a lot of algae growth, but I've been working hard to get that out. Pulled all the plastic plants out, rinsed the other decour. I did about a 45% water change after scrubbing the glass too and that didn't do a thing for clarity.....I also did clean out my filter and found that the algae (brown) had really built up in the tubing. I spent about an hour trying to flush that crap out and got a lot of it (the water flow is much better now).Any ideas what I can do????Thanks all, hope you are all doing well!!Oh, and yes the "amonia burns" are all gone on my boy! You guys were right. All cleared up after about 2-3 weeks!

Hey all,Fish are still going strong! They have fully recovered and have been going for about 3 weeks strong - everything seems to be normal.I do have a question though. My water has very recently gotten very cloudy. (Greenish). I've still been measuring the water regularly and it's all good.0 Amonia10 nitrate0 nitrite7.4-7.6 ph. (is the pH to high?)I thought it was due to a lot of algae growth, but I've been working hard to get that out. Pulled all the plastic plants out, rinsed the other decour. I did about a 45% water change after scrubbing the glass too and that didn't do a thing for clarity.....I also did clean out my filter and found that the algae (brown) had really built up in the tubing. I spent about an hour trying to flush that crap out and got a lot of it (the water flow is much better now).Any ideas what I can do????Thanks all, hope you are all doing well!!Oh, and yes the "amonia burns" are all gone on my boy! You guys were right. All cleared up after about 2-3 weeks!

A pH between 7 and 8 is perfect (gf actually prefer a pH a little over 7, and it's better that it's a little higher than a little lower). The greenish tint of the water sound very much like green algae. Although you can try to keep it in check with regular scrubbing of everything (to remove the algae sticking to the tank wall and stuff) alongside (very) large water change (to remove all the floating algae). But if the algae are really thriving then that wont do a lot of good.

All in all, green water is actually rather beneficial, in that it creates a constant food supply for your gf and removes a lot of the excess nitrates from the tank water. The downside is that, in the event of a large die-off of the algae can potentially cause a sudden large shift in pH (with less-than-nice consequences for the fish). Don't let that scare you too much, because there are in fact plenty of gf keepers who try to get a green water tank (but sometimes don't succeed however). The are other members who have more experience with this though, and will be able to offer more info on the topic.

I'm happy to hear that your fish are doing well :) .

Guest theerer3

Cool, well its good to know it's a good thing. It was kinda brownish algae for a while, so I'm going to put more light on the tank now to keep it green algae. I would love green algae on the sides of the tank, but the cloudy water just doesn't look as nice ya know? Will the algae eventually settle on the sides of the tank and clear up the water? That's kinda how I had it before - lots of algae building up on the sides, etc. but crystal clear water - it was beautiful.

That's kinda how I had it before - lots of algae building up on the sides, etc. but crystal clear water - it was beautiful.

Yeah, we got the same in our smaller tank :) (the larger one doesn't get enough sunlight at the moment). I have no idea whether the floating algae settle on the sides eventually; it's entirely possible that it's different species of green algae that floating around on the one hand and sticking to the sides on the other. Miki/Quasi would like to get hold of a good microscope (a university oldtimer reject or something), so we could check. As it is, I could possible take some of the algae to the university and use one of the microscopes in the student lab, but at the moment I rather don't think I can spare the time (the student lab is located on another campus).