Sign in to follow this  
lantern567

No Plants, No Fish, No Frogs. But There Is Water!

At last, we can say we have a pond!!! :happydance

There is still a lot to do, but when we turned on the waterfall, it worked!

Here's the latest:

post-14551-1212269529_thumb.jpg

We labored over the design, which ended up as sort of a compromise of many different ideas. I hope it will work. It has no shelves, large rocks along the sides, and small (2-3") ones scattered on the bottom. No bottom drain, but one part of the pond is a wee bit lower than the others. Hopefully this will aid in cleaning. For the fish to hide under, I will add some little green plastic patio tables with plant baskets on top, as well as floating islands. I have a lot to do in the planting area before the fish see it, though.

I only smashed my finger once. :wacko: It is purple, and I cannot type "i" or "k" very well.

It was a scary amount of work, especially since we didn't know what we were doing.

Thank you all for your encouragement and suggestions. (They helped more than the chocolate.) :)

More pictures as things start to grow!

:thumbup2: :thumbup: :Jig::clapping::pond:bubbles:thumb::goodjob:tbanana:rockon:nana '

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats lantern, it looks GREAT! It's going to be so beautiful with plants! I can't wait for more pics! And ones with fish in them!!

YAY.

It looks wonderful!! All those rocks must have been some work!

Well, since Joy has used up most of the icons ;) I'll leave you with this:

:rest: Now you can rest up that finger and plan out what to do next.

Well, since Joy has used up most of the icons ;)

:rofl2

You're lucky Fishy Fish didn't reply before you--- Debbie would have used EVERY SINGLE ONE! :P

Guest Paradise-Panda

That one nice looking setup :o ! I know what you mean about the smashed finger, I ended up with my fair share in the construction of our pond :lol: I can't wait to see it with some aqautic life!

It looks great :thumbs: . Really nice, well done. And now the fun begins....... :pianobanana

Sorry about your finger though -ouch.

Congrats! You've spent a LONG time on this project, and it looks absolutely fantastic!

Thank you all! I have to admit it's kind of scary having this large a pond. If the rock sides don't work out, or we find we can't take care of it somehow, or the electricity to run it gets too expensive, it will be hard to take apart!

When I first saw it finished, I actually kind of freaked out. :hide:

Right now I'm sewing for the pond - a floating island. I hope it floats with the plant in it!

It's 2 feet deep, about 1300 gallons. You can hear the waterfall from the bedroom window! I hope the frogs can hear it too, and move in. Plants are starting to float around the edges, but there is a lot more planting to do.

The frogs will find it soon enough, and adding more plants will make it more desirable.

It's 2 feet deep, about 1300 gallons. You can hear the waterfall from the bedroom window! I hope the frogs can hear it too, and move in. Plants are starting to float around the edges, but there is a lot more planting to do.

That isn't very deep and with the hot sun it could get too hot in the summer months. Is there any shade at all? Mine is partially shaded and the one side still gets hot enough where I'll move the fish to the deeper side temporarily in the warmer months.

Edited by Debi0825

I'll definitely watch the temperature, thanks. So far it's a few degrees lower than their tank in the house, but it is going to 90 this weekend! We rarely get that hot even in the summer, and for this early in the year, I take it as a very bad sign.

It is shaded most of the day, one end getting about 4 hours of morning sun. I have no hope of ever getting a lotus to bloom there. I have planted water lilies - will they help with keeping water cool?

I'll definitely watch the temperature, thanks. So far it's a few degrees lower than their tank in the house, but it is going to 90 this weekend! We rarely get that hot even in the summer, and for this early in the year, I take it as a very bad sign.

It is shaded most of the day, one end getting about 4 hours of morning sun. I have no hope of ever getting a lotus to bloom there. I have planted water lilies - will they help with keeping water cool?

We're supposed to have 90 or above the next 6 days or so. I'm sure my water will be getting a bit warm. I also do several water changes to help keep the temp down in my pond. Water lillies don't help in my pond but only because any and all of my fish love to eat them before they get too big. :o

Wow! It looks awesome!! I can't wait to see pics with plants and fish in it. :goodjob

Water lilies will help, yes, so will duckweed and one of my personal favorite floating plants - water hyacinths. They grow massive root systems, which helps with the filtration, plus the violet flowers aren't so bad either. :D They propagate all by themselves, and in no time at all you'll have more plants than you'll ever need. Just be careful with airation when you have so many plants - they'll suck up oxygen at night, so you want to make sure the waterfall agitates the surface quite nicely, and I would probably add a powerhead or something for more surface movement. :)

Water lilies will help, yes, so will duckweed and one of my personal favorite floating plants - water hyacinths. They grow massive root systems, which helps with the filtration, plus the violet flowers aren't so bad either. :D They propagate all by themselves, and in no time at all you'll have more plants than you'll ever need. Just be careful with airation when you have so many plants - they'll suck up oxygen at night, so you want to make sure the waterfall agitates the surface quite nicely, and I would probably add a powerhead or something for more surface movement. :)

I love hyacinths. I can't put them in the Koi side of the pond though. The Koi can destroy 1 plant in under an hour. Give them a day and I wouldn't have any left. Same with lillies. I love duckweed, but again, the fish eat it. I grow duckweed where the fish can't get it. The only floater the fish won't bother is the water lettece and the parrot feather.

My fish are so fat, I wonder if they will eat anything I don't hand to them on their terra-cotta platter. Thanks for the info on the parrot feather - I will have to look that one up. I have 3 water lettuces but I think I should get some more. I have 3 water hyacinths also, so we'll see how they do. The fish are small - 5 of them, 3-4 inches long excluding their tails, so with any luck they won't bother the plants much.

I second the duckweed! I think it looks very nice covering a pond. The goldies will eat it though... :P