Tucker Has Popeye

ok I have noticed Tucker has popeye this morning a (ring around the eyes )..he is still acting fine and is still in Q in a 15g rubbermaid ..I did a 100% waterchange and went to bigals and got antibacterial food by jungle ...I'm assuming to do the 10 day run with it ..let me know otherwise

ammonia0

nitrite 0

nitrate 20 (before water change )

I have noticed a lot of people on the board are having troubles with popeye what is going on !!??...is it the warmer weather I guess maybe temp change and bacteria spikes possibly ??? sheesh!!!

Oh Heidi I'm really sorry to hear that! Yea, there's been quite the run of bad bugs around here... best of luck with Tucker! We're all pulling for him.

Might want to consider using epsom salts if he starts to swell, to make him comfortable.

Thanks joy I totally forgot to ask about that !!!I was considering putting in regular salt but held off just incase I needed to put in epsom salts do you think I should salt until signs of swelling ..oh I am really sad :cry1 ...Tucker does not like the meds .. if epsom salts is a must how much.?? (15 gallon rubbermaid )

Edited by hi-d

thanks FC ..popeye is in the air I guess if he dosn't eat soon I'll have no choice ..I put it in his mouth just so he could have the pleasure of spitting it out :(

oh dear he is not eating?

Ace still begs for food...

Hmmmmm now I am wondering. How can you tell if a bubble fish has popeye? Poor sick Olive has what looks to be white around here eyes (not the airsacs). I have maracyn & maracyn 2...

Oh, the drama!

thanks FC ..popeye is in the air I guess if he dosn't eat soon I'll have no choice ..I put it in his mouth just so he could have the pleasure of spitting it out :(

oh dear he is not eating?

Ace still begs for food...

I just looked in on him now and he is eating it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nana:bounce

So Tuck's eating the anti-bac food? Fantastic! I would hold off on the Maracyn-2 for a little while-- if the anti-bac food works, then you wouldn't want to have medicated unnecessarily.

Epsom salts serve the same purpose IMO as 0.1% aquarium salt-- stress relief (through reduced swelling). The formula is 1/4 TSP per 10 gallons... it doesn't take much!

Edited by thoughtsofjoy

Hmmmmm now I am wondering. How can you tell if a bubble fish has popeye? Poor sick Olive has what looks to be white around here eyes (not the airsacs). I have maracyn & maracyn 2...

Oh, the drama!

I honestly don't know the answer to that. My black moor died of dropsy-- came home sick from the store. She could have been popeyed the entire time and I wouldn't have known. I guess you can only tell if the eye looks abnormal. I would try to get a picture of it and see if the mods can help you decide.

Tucker had a poo ..pretty pale looking but so is the med food ..so it's going through him ok ..still no sign of pineconing it is hard to tell with his big scales so I quietly lifted him out and looked closely at every angle ..he may look a little swollan but it could be me just overreacting ..I feel bad because now that I look back I think he may of showed some symptoms of not feeling well ..but he always swam around then for an hour a day he would sit in the corner ..I thought that was his sleeping routine :( ..I guess in a new fish it would be hard to know what is normal for them and what is not ..I just hope that I caught it in time ..he's still acting like Tucker..I'm glad he has decided to like the antibacterial food ..I hope it will help

OK so know Tuker has bloodclot seeping out of his wen !!!!!!and the peice of wen seem to to have shrunk (this all happeneed after I added a bit of epsom salts ..do you think this is causing to drain some infection ??? no clamped fins ..and he ate this morning still gonna hold off on the macryn 2 until advised .he is acting pretty much normal..I'm thinking the origin of the infection was in his wen ..after I added the epsom salts I may think that his wen dosn't look so puffy ..not sure my eyes could be playing tricks ..there had been no indication of a wen infection ..nothing until now .

Edited by hi-d

OK so know Tuker has bloodclot seeping out of his wen !!!!!!and the peice of wen seem to to have shrunk (this all happeneed after I added a bit of epsom salts ..do you think this is causing to drain some infection ??? no clamped fins ..and he ate this morning still gonna hold off on the macryn 2 until advised .he is acting pretty much normal..I'm thinking the origin of the infection was in his wen ..after I added the epsom salts I may think that his wen dosn't look so puffy ..not sure my eyes could be playing tricks ..there had been no indication of a wen infection ..nothing until now .

sorry wouldn't let me edit ...again ...just wanted to add that I feel that I like it better seeping out than in ?? you think? gonna do a water change to keep bac low

Edited by hi-d

went to the Lfs and they had no macryn 2 .. I told the manager what has been going on (he is a big fish guy too) He said to give the food somtime he suggessted grabbing other stuff if he dosn't have macryn 2 if I have to come back (I can't remember what it is but he knew I wasn't comfortable with it ..soo no )with the blood clot coming out of his wen I'm not sure what to treat with ..so as of now Tucker has pop eye and he had a bloodclot come out of his wen ..he is a little slow but still swiming slowly about ....and I'm not sure if he is still eating ..I put more med food in and it is still there...no pinconing that I notice ...I just did a 95% waterchange and re added the epsom salt ..which I belive has brought swelling down in his whole wen area :hmm

Hi-d I am so sorry about Tucker! Can you describe the eye a little more? Is it actually popping out or swollen at all? Or is it just a ring around? He seems lethargic right? Is he bottom sitting? Bleeding? As of now?

Only pop-eye is a complex one and Maracyn 2 is really a stab in the dark IMHO and you may need something else. Epsom and a large water change was a good place to start.

thanks Trinket his eye has a white ring around it and they do seem to protrude a bit but mostly like a donut around his eyes ...I'm feeding him the antibacteria food (started yesterday and today I did another largge waterchange 95% and added the epsom salt today as well which after fleshy blood seeped out .(.I did the waterchange after that)..no it is not bleeding now ..but it does seem that he is getting more lethargic..now I notice he is sitting with his bum up in the air and face down inn the corner...but he still does swim normally about if he sees me .he is just zoning in and out it seems ..I can't get a pic cause I have no batteries in my cam..but his popeye looks like the pic in the disease section

It sounds like an internal bacterial infection caused by regular gram neg bacteria aeromonas that build up in all water. Esp. with the bleeding. If the pop-eye is both sides/eyes it is a little more serious and the medicated food is definitely a good idea. Which food do you have there?

ooh Trinket I think he is going !!!!!!! I just checked and he looks to have blood in his eyes and bleeding spots in his cheeks andhe is floating on his side not moving !!! it is happening soooo fast !!! this all came down yesterday !!!

his stomach is REALLY bloated and very soft..

Oh no. Have you checked all the water stats..pH everything?

This is so sudden! Have you raised the temp slowly? Can you see any scales lifting?

I checked his water everything good ..there is no scales lifted Trinket do you think he may have had internal cancer ..he stinks like he is dead from the inside out .....I just checked again and I think he is gone :cry1 he was even eating and swimming fine this morning and had a nice healthy poop..I'm soooo sad right now :cry1

Oh sweetie I am so sorry :cry1 So very sudden! How long had you had him, he was in QT right? I don't think cancer no, but bacterial infections can be very severe and the bloating is a kind of fermentation which yes, does smell very bad :(

Any hope at all? Is he upside down? Breathing?