Best Time To Feed

I feed my fish in the morning ..do you think if there is any benfits to feeding in the morning versus night ..I was thinking to switch to evening feedings because yestereday I fed them at night and they seem way more eager an active ..I know most of the energy is going into begging . :rolleyes:

I might feed mine too much, haha.

For breakfast I give them processed food ( either goldfish flakes, hikari pellets, sinking pellets, spirella flakes and pro gold ) at supper I give them a small helping of fresh veggies.

But I just do that because that's how an Asian breeder friend of mine said to do it. Not sure if it is right or wrong, but he said it with such conviction. :-p

I like to think that the morning is better because they won't be hungry all day. If you feed them at night they'll sleep with full bellies but likely be hungry in the morning.

But that being said....I never really thought about it before, I usually mix it up with my fish and feed them either in the morning or evening :P

I feed mornings only. If I feed twice every day I cannot keep the nitrates down :krazy: I'd love to feed more but I'd need more tank space. I feed the fry tank twice a day as I want them to grow. I also feed the big fishes an afternoon snack when I get home from work at least twice a week. They are totally programmed to being fed in the morning. They know the very moment the curtains open, they are all lined up in arow with their mouths at the surface. It's terrible if I lie in on a Sunday, they look so dejected when I get to the tank feeding...Lol they have me under their fins!

I have read fish should be fed more in warmer water. Their metabolism is faster and they burn up calories faster. If you can manage the watse and the nitrates I'd feed smaller amounts twice or three times in water over 68F, you'll really see the fish fill out and grow. Unfortunately with my present stocking levels I can't do that.

I feed Mazuri which I keep frozen. I sit out daily amounts into the frig. I drop in, for the most part, just what they can eat at each feeding. They seem to grab two maybe three bites each. (Some MAY cheat and get more). This seems to work pretty good for my little piggies!

I used to feed in the morning and in the evening, as I used flakes and Godzilla (she is huge) would look very thin with only one feeding a day, as the little ones somethimes got more than she should get. She needed the evening food to get some meat on her. Now I feed sinking pellets in the morning and she gets her fair share and is not skinny. She wil never get fat as she works out against the filter :D In case she meets a lovely male Sarassa, she has to be in shape :rofl

I feed mine in the morning, too, Trinket. :)

That way they are "programed" to be in a certain spot at a certain time for the food, each and every day and I can look them over. Spawning happens in the early morning - I can check for that. They have all day to exercise and work the food through their systems before it sits stagnant and still in their bellies while they sleep.

:)

Good points everyone, I feed mine at night out of habit and John rarely goes to bed before 10.30-11pm so the lights are on late. I cover the tanks with cot sheets or tablecloths at around 9pm and leave them on during morning rush hour so the fish can sleep in. I take the covers off around lunch time and they are still sleeping, lol, but the fish are active in the afternoon and evenings when everyone is home.

ps. I used to feed twice a day but Trinket is right about the nitrAtes.

I feed once a day, in the evening usually, just because it is easier for me. I have been trying to do it more towards late-afternoon (4 or 5 pm) just so they aren't still hyped up when the lights go out. This summer, once I'm out of school, it will be easier for me to feed them earlier.

Interesting topic! :)

i feed sammy once a day before i go to bed at about 10-10:30pm but after reading this im afriad sammy wakes up hungry lol so ill start giving him some fresh veggies in the morning as a little snack :)

i feed sammy once a day before i go to bed at about 10-10:30pm but after reading this im afriad sammy wakes up hungry lol so ill start giving him some fresh veggies in the morning as a little snack :)

Goldfish are always hungry, :rofl . Don't let them fool you!

I like to feed my fishys in the evening when I actually have the time to sit and enjoy their feeding times. Lately, however, I have been working shift work and have been switching it up. I don't know if there is a "right" time to feed or not, but perhaps if we look to feeding times in the wild. I know they say its best to go fishing in the early morning or the early evening hours when the fish bite the most, whether or not that's true as I'm not a big fisher.