Sign in to follow this  
Guest Melodium

Tamasabas?

Guest Melodium

I was just curious if anyone on here owns Tamasabas, or has seen one in person.

I've been lucky enough to find a breeder not too far from me, and I'll hopefully be getting my first Tamasabas in awhile. It works out perfectly because our pond (which has been upgraded to 3,000-4,000 gallons) is going to be finished by the time the fry are ready to go to new homes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VL-xk0tBjbY

I found a video of a few via Youtube.

So, any opinions on these guys? To me they looked like Ryukins that are a little less edgy and have single tails.

:heart Either way, I love them dearly and can't wait to get my own.

They're very pretty fish... but I've never heard of them. They do look like ryukins, but with comet tails. I imagine they'd be a bit hardier than an ordinary ryukin, so would be a great choice for a pond.

Yep you're right. Tamasabas are ryukins with single-tails. They're a good choice for pond because they're hardier than most fancies.

They are basically a ryukin with a single tail. Very beautiful and hardy, great pond fish. The reason why we do not see them is basically they are considered culls of ryukins and most breeders do not keep them. Ken from dandy orandas had this huge one. It was a matt with beautiful sparkling red scales underneath. I have to admit though I am not a big fan of single tail fish, this was one of the most beautiful fish that I had ever seen

I kept four of the best from a Ryukin breeding - they have the really deep huge bodies of Ryukin and, in my case, the large broadtail of the broadtail - except that it is a single tail.

Last year at show a "VIP" was facinated with my Sterling and kept wondering what it would be like if you could get a Tamasaba with a broadtail......so I hung onto a few for him.....

They are pretty neat. I just like fins - and the more the better!!!!! These have one or two too few for my tastes.

They are bright and pretty, aren't they?

I was just curious if anyone on here owns Tamasabas, or has seen one in person.

I've been lucky enough to find a breeder not too far from me, and I'll hopefully be getting my first Tamasabas in awhile. It works out perfectly because our pond (which has been upgraded to 3,000-4,000 gallons) is going to be finished by the time the fry are ready to go to new homes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VL-xk0tBjbY

I found a video of a few via Youtube.

So, any opinions on these guys? To me they looked like Ryukins that are a little less edgy and have single tails.

:heart Either way, I love them dearly and can't wait to get my own.

Please be sure to quarantine as I also know of someone in Oregon that breeds them and quaratine is a must on fish from that source. Of course quarantine should be done not matter who/what the source is..

Guest Melodium

No worries, I know about quarantine. ;)

But also, the breeder is actually in Washington.

Either way though, I always quarantine when I receive new fish. I'd never want my others to get parasites or a disease from another fish.

---

I do find them very pretty, and I like the fact that they can be pond fish. My step-father was really impressed though because he has always wanted a ryukin, but right now we are fully stocked in our fancy tank. I showed him tamasabas and told him about keeping them in the pond and he was really joyful.

Their colors are really nice and bright, and that's something I always like in my goldfish. Plus the fact that they are ryukins, but have the single-tail is just awesome.

Interesting though how types of goldfish come into the making. :D

Oooh, fish breeder in Washington? Do tell!!!!!

I know you are looking for some specific things.... and that you live close enough to the Portland show that you can go this year. Irealize it is not until July - but July is fast approaching if you think about it.

At a show, you should be able to find hundreds of fish for sale - and you stand a good chance of getting just the Tosakin or Tamasaba or whatever you desire at the show. When you purchase at a show 100% of your dollar can go to the fish, itself, for you pay nothing for shipping. It is a great deal.

If you look on the show website, it should, soon, list the fish vendors who plan to attend. If there is a specific type of fish you wish, I suggest calling one of the vendors ahead of time. Talk to them about what you want. Most will simply choose to pack up a selection of that type for you - and then at the show, you can pick and choose - no shipping involved. That way, if there is only one or two, you have a way of "reserving" them until you can choose between them - it does not matter if you are the first in the door at the show or not.

For preparing your fish for show there are a few main guidelines. You want your fish as healthy as possible. FEed them well. If you can - brighten the colors in the sunshine for a month or two before show. Before you travel or show a fish, it should be fasted. No judge wants to look in a show tank and have to look through clouds of poo to judge a fish. The show tanks are not filtered - only aerated - so you do not want any excess waste in the tank. A fish sitting in ammonia water will sulk at the bottom of the tank - not wiggle in delight when it sees a judge and hopes for food!

Other than that, plan on attending all the seminars. There is so much to learn - and any info you can bring back to the site is always appreciated. :)

Guest Melodium
Oooh, fish breeder in Washington? Do tell!!!!!

http://wakin.us/default.php

;) They also breed wakins and koi. They're in Vancouver, Washington (imagine my joy to see a breeder just across the bridge).