Sign in to follow this  
Shamu23

Almost Ready For Koi?

Checked pond temp today, its at 53 degrees :D its warmed up quite a bit. Is it almost warm enough to add some koi? I could qt them outside slightly heated at first to adjust them to the temp. Would that work?

Wait a minute--- I thought your parents said no pond? Where did a koi pond come from?! :blink:

lol we have a huge pond for water supply and they said I could put koi in it. not exactly what i wanted but its better than nothin, i guess u never saw my old thread in the pond pic section :D

Edited by Shamu23

Yeah, that post was before I came back from my fishless hiatus. Wow! That's a biggun!

No advice about the temp but it's great that you can have koi!

Well, that is just about the minimum feeding temperature for outdoor fish. If you were going to get some koi they would have to come from an existing outdoor environment, to put an store fish into that temp is asking for trouble. If you can find some outdoor koi I can't see any problems, just start with a couple of small ones and monitor the situation. If you can only find fish that have been wintered indoors then wait for the pond temp to warm up a bit more so the transition is not such a shock, or the fish will think they are going from summer to autumn instead of winter to spring. lol

ok...but if i dont find any outdoor koi how warm should the water b before i can add them?

ok sounds good

I put up a wanted ad on our local kijiji to see if anyones got any outdoor koi to give away

Guest Melodium

Also, just in case...

If you get koi that are tosai (one year) or younger, watch them very closely when they get put into the pond for the first time. Some young koi will display sleeping sickness and appear dead if the water is too much of a shock for them.

If you're getting koi that are older then one year though they should be fine.

:pond

Other then that, hope everything goes well!

thx, i was thinking of getting some big ones anyway cuz that way they wont b eaten by the native fish

native fish? are you saying that there's WILD fish living in the pond? You should be careful... disturbing natural ecosystems could cause problems, or even be illegal.

What kind of native fish do you have?

dont worry its not really a natural ecosystem its just that we got the water for the pond from a local river and with it we got fisheggs. Dont remember wat they r but i remember talking about someone with this and they said it would b ok. No pike or anything like that, luckily we didnt get none of those, just fishies slightly smaller than adult goldies and some bullheads and minnows and such.

That makes sense. Is the pond used for irrigation? It looks like you're in farmland. I'm just curious.

yeah we live on a farm and we cant connect to the town's water supply, it would cost a fortune to do that and with increasing gas prices we didnt wanna haul water so we massively increased the size of the pond that was already there and tuse it as our watersupply for pretty much everything. It was horrible when we had to drain it though, all the fishies had to die by either being sucked into the pump or drying up on land :cry1 i remember going down into it with my grandpa trying to save some but we couldnt reach them :(

yeah it was very sad especially cuz there was ssooo many of them! Once I walked by them pump right when it sucked in a fish it was terrible!!