Sign in to follow this  
kittyfiends

Paint For Back

I have seen some people paint the back of their aquariums on the outside. What kind of paint do you guys use?

Since it doesn't come in contact with the fish and all, I use whatever I have laying around, which is a lot. :rolleyes: I don't do the back of the tanks, but I paint the bottoms from the underside while the tank is still empty. I like to use blues and greens in different shades to make it look rather natural.

Accrylic paint in those little plastic bottles from Wallyworld will do fine. They are only a dollar or so per piece, and go a long way.

Thanks, I have tons of that stuff.

Wonder if I could paint my 75 gallon with fish in it? But that might not be a good idea cause I like to redecorate every year. /hmmmm

I do like to paint the backs. I like to see the fish against a nice blue background. I use the pre-glued backgrounds when I can get them or afford them, but otherwise, a nice blue background is GREAT!

I think I should paint the bottoms, too, huh? I have been wrapping styrofoam with rock patterned fabric and such for the bottoms. I like the paint idea, though. :)

I definetely don't waste any more money on backdrops for the bottom, Daryl - I always grab the paintbrush instead. And you don't even have to be an artist to do it - drop a few blops of different shades of blues or greens onto the outside of the upside down tank bottom, grab a brush or rag or sponge and keep on swirling around. That way you don't see any ugly looking things that are usually under my tank - like sheets of styrofoam and such. :rolleyes: Plus the barebottom tank doesn't look so "empty".

I use a piece of board and wrap it with fabric. that way I can change it when it suits me. the board just sits behind the tank in between it and the wall. it's exactly the same size as the tank so it doesn't stick out anywhere. my other tanks don't get a background because they are in front of windows. Right now my background is a blotchy blue that looks like water.

my tanks just sit on a wrapped piece of cardboard, the same idea as the styrofoam. I don't usually change that one though. It is baby blue on all the tanks, a rock pattern would have been nicer! :D

Here's something that I have done in the past. Take acrylic paints and some sponges. Use your favorite colors and alternatate dabbing the different colors over the back of the tank. It gives it a almost mosaic look. Sometines I will paint plantlike pics first, then mosaic over them once they are dry. It has a very neat look. If you like changing the look of the tank, pick up some large cold press paper and paint the mosaic first, then the plants. Tape that onto the back. It makes it much easier to change when you want. Here's somes pic of examples I have used. These are pictures of paintings done by me. If you want to use them, then I give you permission to repaint or copy them for personal use only. I'll be back with the pics, having troubles right now. BBS

Sorry about that. Here are the pics.

Fishy loves riging the rails.trainride.jpg

Fishy in space.space.jpg

Space too.space2-1.jpg This one I got off the TV while on pause. I did NOT paint this.

Fishy likes flowers plant.jpg

Desert oasis

arch-1.jpg

You can see these better at http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll202/ebonezum/. Let your imagination go wild.

One note of caution. Painting on glass with acrylics is great. When you get tired of the pic you can use water and a scraper to remove the paint. Paint on Acrylic tanks... not so good. Very hard to remove without scratching up the acrylic glass. Also, Do not paint the tank, while the fish is in it. Acrylic paints give off toxic fumes. Allow at least 24 if not 48 hours before putting the fish back into the tank.

Hope this helps.

There beautiful. I'd love to use them in one of our tanks, but I have nowhere near enough talent to pull it off :unsure::D

If you have a glass tank, you can use acrylic paints and paint right on it and then scrape it with a single edge razor blade when it's time to redecorate. I used acrylics on a sheet of clear acrylic cut to the size of the tank glass and painted on that and then, it's a tight enough fit that it "snaps" in place. You don't have to be a great painter. All you need is a vague idea of what you want to paint, some different colors of paint, a sea sponge cut into pieces for each color of paint and start dabbing away. Just create an abstract thing. I mean, think about it. Trees and grasses and skies and natural things are really just a jumble of splotches when viewed from a distance anyway.

Edited by lynda441

I painted my aquarium backs black I think it makes the color stand out on the fish I have never painted the bottom of my tanks though