Sign in to follow this  
TamtheLittleBlackMoor

Youtube

So, a while ago I know there was a hate thread going on about how a youtube video gave incorrect information about caring for goldfish. Well I found this 'project' that really goes above and beyond how to PROPERLY care for goldfish and thought I would share, I doubt FishRUs is a real webpage but it's a well done video.

Caring for Goldfish

I don't like it. The tank they are using is to small for the fish in it. And wait till you have algae to clean? What is he thinking?

And no mention of them needing 10 plus gallons per fancy or any mention of the extra filtration they need.

It is very creative but I would have to give it a C minus cause of lack of correct information that is important for goldfish keeping.

Edited by Hidr

"...as you might have guessed, unlike dogs and cats, goldfish are NOT a free range pet."

:rofl

>>i agree with Hidr, it was kinda......misleading?.....and the tanks were too small.

:unsure:

Edited by Callie

Yep, it's not good to wait until it's all cloudy and green like that to start changing the water.

Prevention is better than cure. Always do water change as a routine.

That is a site a real site in fact.

The video was made a while ago and I think it was made to get kids to understand that goldfish aren't as easy as they seem to be.

I agree the video is lacking things one thing that really bothered me was that they said to flush the fish down the toilet when it dies, this is not good as it causes problems in our water. The other thing was there was no mention of a cycle, this is the biggest problem with tanks and things we have to deal with all the time :(

It was much better than the last one, but it left out the Nitrogen cycle completely, and although they went into "good filtration," they didn't talk about tank size or necessary GPH.

Why don't we make one?! I'm getting annoyed by all these misleading videos... I feel inspired to make one myself.

We would be FAB! If only I had a video camera.... hmm. Maybe I can get my friend to let me borrow his. On the other hand, Thomas' camera can take about 16 minutes of video at a time.

NEW SUMMER PROJECT! Yeesh, as if I didn't have enough already. :P

And of course it wouldn't be starring me.... Roxanne will steal the show!

Exactly, it's not 'ideal' goldfish care but at least it's basic information, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. After working in a pet store where SO MANY people have this misleading concept of how goldfish can live in a bowl, it frustrates me. When I tell them 'politely' that they CANNOT live in bowls they seem to always want to fight me on it. I show them the care sheets we have for the Nitrogen Cycle and care sheets on Goldfish themselves and they just say the same thing: "Well mine lived in a bowl for *blank* amount of years just fine". People just don't want to get these larger tanks for goldfish, they want to start small, and I think this video is a good way to introduce the goldfish care, with the hopes that people will realize it's not as simple as it seems and that they can build their knowledge from this video to research more about their fish's needs. What's good though is we have the right to refuse selling them a fish if we feel they will not properly take care of the animal.

Honestly, if it's housed in a FILTERED TANK what makes you think you can stick it in an unfiltered/airated bowl? Heck even the feeder fish are in a filtered tank... :wacko: I've turned so many potential goldfish 'bowlers' into betta parents that it still amazes me.

I agree its a good start just dont want people to think this is all there is to raising them :(

I think its a great thing were you work to be able to say no if someone isnt going to give them a good home :D

Guest Melodium
Exactly, it's not 'ideal' goldfish care but at least it's basic information, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. After working in a pet store where SO MANY people have this misleading concept of how goldfish can live in a bowl, it frustrates me. When I tell them 'politely' that they CANNOT live in bowls they seem to always want to fight me on it. I show them the care sheets we have for the Nitrogen Cycle and care sheets on Goldfish themselves and they just say the same thing: "Well mine lived in a bowl for *blank* amount of years just fine".

-

Honestly, if it's housed in a FILTERED TANK what makes you think you can stick it in an unfiltered/airated bowl? Heck even the feeder fish are in a filtered tank... :wacko: I've turned so many potential goldfish 'bowlers' into betta parents that it still amazes me.

I work at a petstore too, and people honestly amaze me. I had one woman come in who was housing four comets in a 2 gallon tank. She asked for another comet, and I literally had to refuse her the fish. She threw such a fit.

Sometimes I wonder why people act like it is soooo hard to just buy a bigger tank with filtration. I've heard people say that a 12 cent goldfish isn't worth spending over $10, and I can't believe that.

Bleh, I wish people could have more respect for goldies, because when kept it good conditions they really are such lovely gems in an aquarium!

---

The video wasn't exactly accurate, but like others have said, it's definitely a good start.

I'd love to see a video made that is accurate... ;) If only I had a decent video camera.