Sign in to follow this  
mardaokansi

I Think I've Tramatized My Fish

I've had Gabriel for a couple months and for the past 3 or 4 weeks he just doesn't want to swim. He hides a lot, too. like behind a tree or under this rock thing I have in there. he'll eat when it's feeding time. but I think I've ruined his mental state. see, I keep rosie reds in there with him and remove a few at a time for my turtle and I think the net swooshing around in there has really upset him. will he recover and swim around like he once was? or is it too late and he's gonna hide forever? I've decided to take out all the rosie's and now I'm thinking of getting him a companion fish. small, something way active he might hang out with. all my levels are great and my tank is done cycling. the only thing is the ph is like 2 points too high. I just feel horrible I've scared this sweet little guy. :unsure::(

Goldfish are funny little characters, and they don't like anything upsetting their homes. Just imagine if you were just hanging around the house relaxing and this HUGE GINORMOUS thing came swooping down around you! And not only once but frequently! You'd probably hide behind something, too. :rofl Whether or not you get another fish depends on your tank size. Remember that fancy goldfish require 10 gallons and commons require 20 each, and that is the minimum requirements. I have a fantail and a common in a 30 gallon and am going to have to consider a bigger tank for them eventually as they are growing like weeds!

But either way, I'd get the rosies out so your fish can relax in his home. :D

I agree, activity in the tank like that can be very upsetting to fish. Even things like walking by the tank frequently can stress them out, especially with new fish. I think you were right in removing the rosies.

As for a companion, what size tank is it? Also how long do you leave the light on? Tank lights suddenly coming on in a dark room can really scare fish, too.

When humans are scared or nervous, it's nice to have something to hold in your hands and play around with it.

Fish don't have hands, but they have mouths... so it's nice to have fine substrated where fish can have something to play in their mouth. This is why I never go with large marble or rocks where fish can't fit inside their mouths.

---

My ranchu was so scared and intimidated by me... especially my movement around the tank. Maybe he thought I was his predator or something preying on him because he saw this big image moving around and observing him like a predator would.

So I would just stand still but make sure that I'm not so awkward still... I pretended to observe something else around the tank and pretend I'm not paying attention to him. I would drop a little bit amount of pellet (sinking/ floating), and see if he'd go for it. If he does, it's a good sign.

You will see with scared fish, they will put their head down while looking at you... and just not moving... just very still. I made sure to try my best to be natural around him while at the same time trying my best to move around as gently as I can. This makes fish over time safe that you're not his enemy but his friend.

Feeding other fish in the tank would help too... when he sees this, it'll help him think we're not his enemy.

But if he is not convinced and is still paranoid that you're an enemy, back away for now, move away from the tank as gently as you can then come back like 20 mins later to see if he'd take you better.

Food is key though... food makes them forget about their worries :D lol

The moment he takes some sand in his mouth, then I know he's beginning to feel comfortable around me... then as he's getting more comfortable around you, so can you.

---

It happened just now again, he was upset that I accidentally dropped the lights on the tank cover top... he was scared... but rarely has he been scared of me ever since that first week when I bought him. So I put my hand in the tank and offer a pellet, he'd swim near it but not nibble at it as usual... so I'd go do something else like arrange the ornament while moving assuringly that he's got nothing to worry about me because I'm not gonna harm him... and sure enough he began to nibble again and he took that pellet and he didn't look scared anymore lol

Edited by nakedsnake

I dunno, nakedsnake...sand is not a good substrate for goldfish as its fine texture can clog their gills, not to mention your filter, fairly quickly. We've had members here post about their fish choking on gravel, so I always use larger glass pebbles so they can't get them in their mouths. To goldies, if it will fit in their mouths, it must be food! :feedme

New fish can be frightened easily until they get used to their environment. I can honestly say that nothing really startles Moby and Florence. When I get up in the mornings, they can see my bedroom light from the tank and are already in a food frenzy by the time I walk to the living room! And on weekends when I sleep in a little, they know when the sun is up that they are late getting breakfast. I swear they give me dirty looks, lol.

^It's not fine sand like you'd see at the beach... It's probably 3x bigger... so it won't clog in their gills or very fine that it will be a sandstorm in the tank... It's fine but it's heavy. It's not live sand when you stir it, it will cloud the water... it's very clean and white, not light and dusty. I forgot the name of the sand though...

Not my tank... but the sand doesn't look like this...

20125554.JPG

It looks like...

imagessand.jpg

You were watching The Mask!! I haven't seen that movie in a long time...

It looks kinda like play sand..

^Yeah I was watching the Mask :D

Bought the sand at LFS... great for marine tank too... my fish do the cleaning it will never be grown by algae since they vacuum the sand all the time :D

Because it's fine, the poos will not slip through and go to the bottom... so I always net the poo and throw them out... do it like 3-5 times every day lol

That is really pretty! Looks kind of like snow. And I was wondering about poo spots, lol. Very nice setup, but the white would be way too much work for me. :krazy:

Thanks :) the sand never grows algae because my fish always do round vacuum every time lol... I only have to worry about poo and the side glass for maintaining cleanliness...

Thanks :) the sand never grows algae because my fish always do round vacuum every time lol... I only have to worry about poo and the side glass for maintaining cleanliness...

ur lucky, my tigerbarb tank has green sand cuz of algae!! lol