Sign in to follow this  
Erika

Strange Little Pod Things

I noticed some of these weird things last fall when I was shutting down the filters and stuff, and now this spring, I saw more. They're small, brown, POD things that in a way, remind me of fish lice, but they're dark to light brown and always stuck to the insides of things. They don't get on the fish at all, they don't move, and they don't seem to have any eyes or appendages or anything. They can be scraped off with a fingernail where they stick. I've tried finding them online, but alas, nothing.

I'm gonna guess that Andrea knows the answer to my query.. let's see if I'm right! :gcar: (I just HAD to use this one, hehe!)

Hmm. Wonder what those are :hummm That's good they dont bother the fish anyway.

Yep, that's them! The first group is them, spot on. Now what the heck IS a limpet? I'm assuming they're benign?

Yeah, they aren't harmful. They are just a gastropod, like a snail. Regular limpets have pretty striped shells with a hole in the top. They live on rocky beaches just at the tide line. The little guys we get in our tanks or ponds usually come in on plants, or even the water our fish are in.

Now see, there is something I haven't seen before! You learn something new every day, apparently... :whistle Good to know that those limpets are harmless. I wonder if they multiply like snails... YIKES!

I bet they do Andrea, I had just a slight smattering of them originally in my filter... now I have about 50 in my PREfilter. I guess they're right about them loving fast moving water!

they look almost like mini barnacle thingies. :) they're kinda cute!

They are closely related to barnacles. I think they reproduce based on food supply, like most pests. I always thought they were kinda interesting so I never tried to get rid of them. I saw them in one of my tanks for the first time last year. They came in on some plants (I had sterilized the plants with PP?don't know how they survived!), but they were small, clear ones.