Sign in to follow this  
rocmills

Red Blotches

Trinket -- How do you keep the zucchini chunk from floating? That sounds like a good idea. I think that my pleco Buzz must be getting tired of algae wafers. BTW, the fish in your new avatar is beautiful!

Here's a pic of the suction clip I use and may be similar to what Joy uses. P1020708.jpg

What a wretched day.

I came home from work early because I felt horribly sick; fever, chills, stuffy head, stomach ache, muscles sore from head to toe. I no sooner got undressed for bed when my husband calls up from downstairs that our iguana is bleeding from the mouth. Alot. Three hours later, we are home from the vet and I see that Luc's mouth looks terrible and a quick test shows the hospital tank has had a pH crash. Immediate 80% water change, treated with the new detox from GFC. Then I see that Ricki has red blotches again, just a few, but enough to dishearten me in my already weakened state. Then I discover that the reason my arm hurts is because the iggie slashed my wrist on the way to the vet and it looks like a sloppy suicide attempt on my part.

I just had to grouse, sorry to do so here. Hope y'all understand. Going to have some soup and put myself to bed now and hope the tanks hold in until tomorrow afternoon when I can do more water changes.

--Roc

Oh Roxie that sounds horrible! I'm so sorry to hear that you're ill-- and those fish crises always seem to happen when you're not feeling your best. I hope your iguana is okay, and I do hope you (and Luc and Ricky) feel better soon!

Hang in there. We :heart you.

Yep. We care about ya :heart What a wretched day you've had :sick I hope you'll wake feeling better.

Thanks, you two. Not feeling much better this morning, called in sick but at least it was only a half day today and I already have an appointment to see my doctor this afternoon - so it all works out, I hope.

Was going to do a full battery of tests on the main tank, but then Luc went berserk and really smashed his mouth up good... so I stopped to do what I could for him and then come post here. Will run the tests later today and hopefully will feel well enough to do another water change. I think all the extra stuff I added to the tank filters is helping... still removing gravel a handful every couple of days.

I think I have to remove the arch ornament, though. Ricki almost got stuck trying to go through it last night, she had to really wriggle and squirm to get through and I think doing so scraped some scales off her side. Silly fish. If I don't take it out, one of them is going to get stuck and die with my luck.

--Roc

Main tank seems to have settled down, except for the Nitrates which are still up at 40.

pH: 7.6

Amm.: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 40

GH & KH: 180

I read elsewhere on this board that live plants will consume nitrates, so tomorrow (if i'm not feeling too sick - doctor says i have an upper resporitory infection and sinusitis) I will go to the lfs and buy some plants. I usually get the kind that are in a plastic cannister with gel on the bottom so they have not been sitting in water and don't need to be disinfected before introducing to the tank.

I'll take the arch out when I put the plants in.

--Roc

This is just not my day, man.

Was headed to the car to go to my doctor's appointment when I discovered that someone had smashed in the driver's side window! Nothing stolen from the car and no other apparent damage, just another blow to my emotions and pocket book. Luckily, we can get a repairman out here tomorrow afternoon... and I'll just have to take mother-in-law's car to go shopping (presuming i feel better tomorrow than i did today and yesterday) at the lfs for plants which will hopefully help with my nitrate problem.

--Roc

Oh dear - what a rotten run of luck you're having. I'm sorry.

Regarding the plants - the broad leaf varieties like anubias are the most efficient nitrate gobblers. Some people also use elodea as the goldies like to nibble it.

The only thing to watch when adding plants is the Co2 level at night. Plants breathe out carbon dioxide at night so there must be sufficient surface splash to keep oxygenation moving.

Pixie,

Oxygen is not a problem in our tank. We have an 18" bubble wand, a 3.5 inch diameter bubble disk, and we keep the water level about an inch or two down from max so the two HOBs also create plenty of splash.

--Roc

The arch is out and the plants are in. 3 medium/large potted plants and one loose plant that probably won't be there by morning. The fishies are loving swimming through the leaves and knocking the plants around. They've already upset the pots and started re-decorating on their own. I figure once the fish decide where they want the plants, I will add some weights to pots to hold them down.

Ricki has several red spots on his tail fin, but the water is testing good except for those persistent nitrates.

pH: 7.6

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 40

My hope is that the plants will last long enough to make a dent in the nitrates. Don't know what's up with the spots on Ricki's tail as there is no ammonia reading at all.

I seem to have run out steam today... but the doctor said I was likely to be tired for several days and gave me the usual "lots of fluids and bed rest" routine - which, of course, I am mostly ignoring. Will do another large water change on the main tank tomorrow... may borrow some of the bio-max from the main tank to put in the hospital tank.

--Roc

Well, if I didn't feel so awful I would be doing a happy dance right now.

Main tank tests as follows:

ph: 7.6

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: I'd say about 7 or 8, darker than the 5 but much lighter than the 10

The plants can't have worked that fast, can they? Did the tank finally cycle? Will continue regular testing to be on the safe side... Oh, and the red spots on Ricki's tail which were numerous and ugly yesterday are totally gone today. I think the fish does it on purpose to make me crazy.

--Roc

Well, the tank appears to be cycled - the water is crystal clear again and none of the fish show any signs of disease or distress. I've planted as much as I can without decreasing the amount of space these big monsters have to move around in. 3 potted Anubias, one of which has already been eaten down to nubs. 1 huge Anubias with a large root ball and leaves too tough to be eaten. 1 clump of Cabomba that will not stay anchored no matter what I do, and 4 clumps of... can't recall the name but it looks like overly tall lawn grass. There was one other plant, but they ate it completely within two days of me putting it in the tank.

All my water parameters are good and stable, except for the nitrates which continue to read at 40 no matter what I do.

I took the arch ornament out and now no one has scales missing from their sides from trying to force themselves through the arch, and I've removed the gravel down to about half an inch instead of 2.5 inches (except on the ends where i've left it thicker so the pots have something to be seated in). The filters are stuffed solid with bio-max and floss, I rinse or change the media in the HOBS on alternate weekends - one gets cleaned this weekend, the other gets changed next weekend, and so on.

I've also treated with the PraziPro liquid for two treatments thus far - treat one day, wait two days, treat again. Will add one final treatment tomorrow and then I figure I'm safe on the potential fluke side.

--Roc

Edited by rocmills

I'll admit I didn't read if this had already been recommended or not but based on the pics alone I'd say he has Hemorrhagic Septicemia. Those are the exact same blotches my Oranda Fredo had for 2 weeks with them gradually getting worse. He started acting sluggish but he never stopped eating so I didn't get too worried. HS can be caused by out of whack levels in your tank water or an infection due to a cut which is what I think happened to Fredo. I treated with 250mg tetracycline from Aquaticure and followed the directions on the package. The blotches completely cleared up and he's back to bullying my Calico Fantail.

I just wanted to add this. I had a comet who was very sensitive to ANY sort of stress, i.e., water changes... any sort of movement. Touch her, move her, she'd get the septicemic streaks. But, after a day or so, the streaks would go away. Always. That poor girl would get streaks in her fins after every water change and I know I was doing everything right. Her mate never exhibited a thing, but she ALWAYS would get the streaks. Like clockwork, I could assure you that she would get streaks in her tail after a water change or if I tried to hold her for some reason, which I never did after I figured this out.... High maintenance drama queen....? But, she was an old, healthy survivor... until the laundry room backed up into the hose water (she was a pond fish) and soap got into the pond and she died... wah!... :( So, not discounting other problems or treating those problems, your goldy could just be one of the sensitive ones.... just a thought....

Edited by lynda441

I really do think it was the spiking ammonia that had Ricki showing spots and blotches. Since I've gotten the ammonia back under control, the spots have disappeared and no new ones have shown up on any of the fish. On the other hand, I noticed today that Ricki's tail looks a bit tattered but otherwise healthy.

I'm still duking it out with the nitrates - they stay at 40 all the time. I had maybe 1 day of them only reading 10, but now I wonder if I tested wrong that day. Even immediately before and after a 75% water change, the nitrates read 40. Maybe I should test our tap water again.

I don't think it was septicemia, but I could be wrong. We did treat the whole tank for something like that a couple of years ago, though. The tank got it's third and final dose of PraziPro today (ditto for the hospital tank), so hopefully any flukes that might have been present are gone now.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ricki is shy. Though she is nearly as big as Ethel, she has never been an aggressive fish - when peas are in the tank she never gets her share as Big Rick and Ethel snatch them from right before her mouth.

--Roc