I Found A Fry!

emilydelong

I was feeding my fish yesterday and what did I see? A tiny little white goldie! I don't know who it's parents are but I think one of them may have been my ryukin because it looks like a fantail. It is pink (I guess it's called "matt"). He has little pink gills and button eyes. I guess I haven't noticed him because he hides out in the corner under the plants, which is also the reason he didn't become lunch! I haven't noticed any spawning, so this is a complete surprise! I didn't think they were old enough or big enough to spawn yet!

So now I'm overstocked because I had just QT'd a new ryukin a week or so ago before I found him- so that makes 10 goldfish in my 90 gal.

So I guess I need another tank! ;)

I have an AquaClear 110 and a Magnum 350. I definitely have enough filtration, I'm just happy I have an excuse to get another tank if I can find the room. :)

As soon as I find the charger for my camera, I'll put some uber cute pictures up.

I have an AquaClear 110 and a Magnum 350. I definitely have enough filtration, I'm just happy I have an excuse to get another tank if I can find the room. :)

Hmm, that gives you 850 GPH, doesn't it? I'd say you're a tad overstocked with even 9 fish in it. A new tank would be a good idea.

I'm calling it Casper right now since it's all white.

I don't have enough filtration? I was sure I had more than enough. Both are for tanks up to 100 gallons.

Ok. Here are a couple pictures. I've been having a hard time with my camera. It's only a couple months old and it's already acting like a piece of junk.

100_0954.jpg

100_0955.jpg

Edited by ConverseWithMyConverse

OMG!!! I am coming to your house to steal him! Oh....did I say That out loud? He reminds me of a little fry that I loved (and lost) it was a white little fry with those little button eyes :heart that I just love. I had named it "Fry-Oh-My" in keeping with the "Soprano's" theme...Tony, Silvio, etc.. I was so sorry to see it dead. I wrote a horrid little poem about it and somehow managed to get on with my life, but I will never forget my poor little fry.

Feed him a pea for me :heart (and lock the doors tonight) :D

I don't have enough filtration? I was sure I had more than enough. Both are for tanks up to 100 gallons.

Aquarium suppliers rate their filters according to different standards than goldfish keepers have. Tropical and marine fish typically do not need as much filtration as the fish are usually small and produce less waste. Thus, manufacturers may rate a power filter as "up to 50 gals" and the filter will be quite sufficient for these types of tanks.

However, goldfish keepers ignore such labels and look for its flow rate. This is the water turnover, or how much water the filter processes in 1 hour. For example, the Aquaclear 50 filter says it's for tanks up to 50 gallons, but its flow rate (gallons or liters per hour-- GPH/LPH) is only 200 GPH.

The general rule is 10x the tank volume in filter flow rate (GPH). This is the minimum requirement-- many people prefer to have more filtration, especially with bigger fish. For example, a 10 gallon tank with one goldfish requires a 100+ GPH, a 20 gallon needs 200+ GPH, etc.

So in your case, you have 850 total combined GPH, but your tank is 90 gallons, and it's fully stocked. The bare minimum suggested rule would be 900 GPH or more. An overstocked tank, with 10 fish in a 90 gallon tank would need even more filtration. There's plenty of room for 10, but the extra load means you need more filtration.

I would suggest that you get another tank, and move 2 to 3 fish into it with proper gallonage/filtration. That way, your 90 gallon won't be overstocked and your filtration will be adequate.

I hope this was helpful!

Oh, and Casper is absolutely gorgeous. Any idea who the parents were?

OMG!!! I am coming to your house to steal him! Oh....did I say That out loud? He reminds me of a little fry that I loved (and lost) it was a white little fry with those little button eyes :heart that I just love. I had named it "Fry-Oh-My" in keeping with the "Soprano's" theme...Tony, Silvio, etc.. I was so sorry to see it dead. I wrote a horrid little poem about it and somehow managed to get on with my life, but I will never forget my poor little fry.

Feed him a pea for me :heart (and lock the doors tonight) :D

*Runs to lock the doors and windows*

Oh, and Casper is absolutely gorgeous. Any idea who the parents were?

Thank you! I don't know the genders of my fish, but I think my ryukin Tila may have something to do with it since Casper looks like a fantail. The other parent, I have no idea.

Oh what a WONDERFUL SURPRISE!!!! Your baby is SOOO pretty! I am jealous! I WISH I would find a cutie pie in MY tank!!