Somebody Dropped Eggs In My Tank...

Acupunk

Well, I had an eventful fish day today.

I got home at 4:00 pm with two sick, grouchy two-year-olds (twins with bad colds).

The first thing I noticed when I walked in the door was that my tank lights and filters were off. With a few minutes investigation, I figured out that our cleaning lady blew an electrical circuit (probably with the vacuum cleaner). I gave her a call and found out that it happened at about 9:00 am, so my fish were without aeration and filtration for seven hours. I tried to be calm as I explained that next time, could she please call me at work if this happens again.

After I got everything back up and running, I noticed that she had cleaned the hoods on my tank with furniture polish (even though I have asked her to leave all cleaning around the tank to me). :krazy:

Then I noticed that my fish weren't any worse for the wear -- in fact they looked unusually fat and happy. Clementine in particular looked like he had about doubled in size since this morning. They also seemed to be especially busy sorting rocks and poking around the bottom of the tank. Hmmmm...

I figured that I better do a water change to compensate for the lack of filtration. As I was vacuuming gravel I noticed zillions of small (about 1 mm) clear balls coming up the siphon tube. What the heck? Then I noticed that Betsy's vent was even more of an "outie" than it usually is -- it looks slightly swollen and pink.

Then all the pieces came together -- Betsy must have dropped eggs, then the four of them had a heyday gobbling them up all day long.

Now I am just wondering -- could the lights, filter, and aeration being off today have triggered her to drop eggs, or do you suppose it was just a coincidence?

Also, how many days do you think that I should fast them to compensate for the day of gluttony today?

:rofl I'm glad they had somthing to do during their blackout .. I'm not sure if it would cause her to drop eggs or not ..but you could also have a few spikes ..so keep an extra eye on your water paremeters also dosn't help that the filters were not going ..but they should be ok . the .Eggs are filled with protien and are good for them a fasting would be ok for a day or so ..thats what I did anyways .. :D I hope your kids get better soon ..fish and kids time things perfectly :exactly Edited by hi-d

Goodness what an eventful day. You seem to have coped very well though. I expect it was a coincidence the eggs coming out unless..unless ..the filter and aeration and lights have an impact on temperature? Lights off might have reduced the temp by a slightly larger downward margin? initiating eggs to drop...maybe :hmm Anyway a large water change was just what the doctor ordered and a fast day sounds like it too. The guzzlers :D

Next time perhaps you can catch some eggs -remove them and raise some baby Clementines!

I'm sorry I just had to say that when I read the title I got really confused for a second and thought "Why would somebody drop eggs in a tank?!", but of course you mean a fish...and now I feel really stupid! Hehe!