Update On My Fry

lclayton

(Following on from http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=66328 as I think 3 months later we have gathered they are fish eggs!)

The other day I moved the larger of my fry to an 88 litre tank which looks huge comapred to their old home.

Photos: not very good, I'll delete the blurry ones eventually (click next from there) http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/l...nt=SP_A0329.jpg

At first a few of them seemed to struggle with the new filter current, they have gone from having a sponge filter to a Fluval 2. I suspect some of them quite enjoy it actually. Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself of that! They have a sheltered area though which they tend to spend most of the day in, venturing into open water in the evening. I love how they shelter under the filter itself too, then make a mad dash for the other end of the tank.

I have a video of them, I'll try upload it soon.

The smaller fry are, I hope, far happier now that the tail-suckers have been removed. Maybe these guys will grow too now.

I also forgot to mention, a tale of two troopers! I have two large tubs that I use for waste water. Well I've been tired out from work lately so when I have done water changes I've just left the tubs in my room, with lids on. At the weekend I eventually got round to emptying these - I took the lid off one that had been there nearly 2 weeks (I know, SO lazy) and there was a fry! A tiny one! It had been in a tub of stagnant dirty water, no food, no air and no light, and there it was, swimming around. I scooped it out and plonked it in the smaller tank and I haven't had any deaths since then so I assume he is doing ok. I found another in the other waste water tub but that had only been there 3 days, so not quite so impressive, but still, I'm happy that I noticed! Must be more careful with my siphon. They are tough little guys, but so are their parents.

I have two questions:

At what age will I start seeing more colour on them? They are 3 months old right now. They are slightly different in tone already ranging from dark gray to bronze, and the white ones are getting grey patches on their tails, but that's it.

I have one that I'm quite attached to. He is eating well and growing. However, he has a bend in his tail and he often swims in circles when he is a bit tired out. I have a WCMM that doesnt have a tailfin at all and he does fine, but he can at least swim in a straight line. I don't fancy the idea of culling any of my fish at all but would this be best for it?

• Admin

The one swimming in circles will most likely die sooner or later :(

As for the color each fish is different but most of them start to really take there colors in the 6 month to year mark, you will see it slowly but the most true colors come at that time.

Congrats hun :D

The one swimming in circles will most likely die sooner or later

Yeah I thought as much :( which is why I don't know if it's kinder to do it now. But like I say, it's eating well and the like. I'll just keep an eye on it.

At least 6 months!? Great - I have a house move planned in August...this is going to be fun...I was hoping to have given them new homes by then!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all

Just had a go at recording my fry...the quality is dire (as it tends to be on cameraphones!) but it gives an idea of how my fry are doing.

th_SVM_A0014.jpg

(Hopefully that link will work)

I'm starting to see black tinges on the edges of the fins on the biggest fish which is quite exciting. I have loads of shubs as well and colours are starting to develop well on them too.

I've decided I have to stop being such a ninny about culling some of them. I need to face that however well the tiny ones seem to be, however well they're feeding, they're NOT going to grow. Clove oil is the best method, right? Sniff sniff. Ah well, for the greater good of the others...

they are getting so big !!..do you still have the one with the black eye :unsure: ?? he is cute ..I know culling is hard I have a few really tiny ones but they are eating and look fine a manage the current from the filter just fine soo no culling ...yet just the ones that swim in circles or have obvious problems ...and yess clove oil is the way to go

do you still have the one with the black eye :unsure: ?? he is cute

I seem to have ended up with many with black eyes! They suddenly all appeared! They're all cute but the biggest of them all is still the one with the slightly crooked tailfin...I will NOT be culling that one. In fact I'm attached to so many of them. I've jsut been sat watching them trying to decide which to cull and saw one of the weedy ones nibbling happily on some shrimp and feel so bad! I think I may have to get someone to do it for me...

Also the longer I have these fish the more attached I'm getting to all of them and I really want to keep some...

Guest Melodium

Awww, all of them are so adorable!

Culling is a very tough thing to do, but in the end it is one of the most responsible things. In that sense it makes the topic fairly controversial. All I can tell you is that you should do what you feel is right. Remember though that you should only take on as many as you can care for, and also that nature too will have a way of "culling".

• 2 months later...

Well it's been two months since I last posted here but my fry are continuing to grow. They're just over 7 months now. I have just over 20 left I think. They're going in my neighbour's pond with their parents soon - but I'm going to keep two of them for now, while they're small, in a 10 gallon. They're my two favourites and I can't let them go just yet!

th_SV_A0042.jpg

Edited by lclayton

very nice, thanks for sharing.

Aren't there any more babies you could use to tie your over?

Maybe your neighbour has some tiny fry in his pond? ;)