Dying Slowly

:( philip has gotton sick he is refusing to eat and is slowly starving

ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 5 he resides in a 29g with terrence my other celestial who has already grown one size bigger than him.... I feed peas ,sinking pellets and kiwi etc..he is just not thriving even when he was eating .I'm thinking somthing internal is going on ..when I got the pair they were small and looked a little ragged and from the begining philip was never quite right but until the last week he has really gone down hill he just sorta floats to the top and stays there ..this has just gone on recently..he dosn't have mouth sores ,he's been treated for flukes when I got them . I water change every three days use Prime etc ..he is soo skinny and it happend fast ..I'm afraid he'll starve to death :cry1

Oh no! Poor Philip. It definitely sounds like there is something going on with him. I can't offer any advice, but I do want to offer sympathy. :k055:

Hopefully someone will come along soon with something useful to say.

I don't know if I can offer any more than a hug either :( Diseases that cause skinniness are so paradox because the best treatment is usually via medicated food.. which the fish will not eat. And water born meds almost always push fish in these final stages over to the other side faster than good water care in my honest opinion :hug

Perhaps others will say different.

Light salting to 0.1% may give him back a bit of appetite and then you could coax him to eat some metromeds. Light salt is a real perk-up for sicklies.

:heart thanks guys I will try salting a bit ..his behaviour is so weird ...I also put in an extra air pump...I won' t give up on him yet as he is swimming around normaly today ..weird fish..I thought the same Trinket about the med food if he aint gonna eat it they're just might not be anything I can do but try and perk him up to entice his appetite

when Fisher was at death's door -- he wasn't moving much and wouldn't go after food at all. i would literally stick my hand in the tank with a couple mediacted food pellets and put them in front of his mouth. he took them then. (this might prove more complicated if the food is a gel though.)

a bit of a different situation, but maybe there's still hope if something like this will work?

good luck!

Thanks uberleslie :) .....I did a HUGE water change took apart the filter and rinsed,rinsed ,rinsed and squished,squished,squished(bio sponges that is....and added salt ..he seems to have perked up a bit and is more alert ...I'm gonna let him work up an appitiet and see if he will eat tonight....I'm gonna try and post pics of both celestials and the difference of the thriving Terrence and skinny philip

Guest TheBubbleQueen

its good to hear that terrence is feeling a little better today, defiantely let us know how he eats and how he's doing tomorrow!

terrence and phillip are adorable celetials! i hope he gets better soon *^_^*

OMG!! OMG!!! OMG !!!! :krazy: Philip lost his eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....he is stil acting normal ...and all his fins are actually all erect again !!!!...What is going on with this fish !!! I'm salting up to 0.3.....I doubt another celestial is an eye picker and I have really nothing in the tank to snag his eye ..do you think it is pop eye !!!!!...???? how the heck can I tell !?? besides an eye poppin out ..I got the eye out of the tank..it was just floating around ...uuhhggg creepy I love my fishy but I have the willes now ...months ago I made a pic of philip with a pirates patch on his eye ...I think I just jinxed the poor little guy ....do you think because he is getting skinny his eye pouch things got to big for his eye ??? ...thats a serious question :blink:

Oh jeez Heidi, the poor little guy! :(

I got the eye out of the tank..it was just floating around ...uuhhggg creepy

I had to do the same thing last month when Fredrick lost his eye....very distrubing. Luckily they heal so fast from lost eyes, the salt will help and melafix could be ok too, I don't think it will stress Philip's system.

I know this is a long shot, but is there an exotic pet vet in your area who might be able to inject some antibiotics into Philip? That is if he is still refusting to eat and fading.

Sweet Fancy Moses! :o

Just following this thread and then the jaw dropped to read Philip lost his eye. Maybe he had an eye infection and with its loss he is starting to heal????

Please keep up posted!

Sweet Fancy Moses! :o

Just following this thread and then the jaw dropped to read Philip lost his eye. Maybe he had an eye infection and with its loss he is starting to heal????

Please keep up posted!

I'm hoping he feels better ..since his eye fell out .....thats a horrible thing to say I know but maybe... possibly with built up pressure maybe it it feels better.. :(

No shock on the lack of vet, I live in a small city with about 7 or 8 vet clinics and I'm fairly sure that if I brought my goldie in I'd get strange looks. The reason I suggested it was I know in the Fancy Goldfish book there's a lot of talk of antibiotic injections. Hopefully Philip comes around soon :(

Hi-d I am so sorry to hear this. How is Philip today? Is he eating yet? What is the color of his body, have you noticed any darkening or color change?

The trouble with celestials is that it is a little more difficult to notice eye swelling from infection because of the upward positioning of the eyes and some swelling and loss of an eye could theoretically be the result of internal viral or bacterial infection. Or it could be a straightforward accident that can happen to fish when they are weak and become simultaneously clumsy...is there anywhere in the tank that he could have had such an accident?

Hi Trinket ...not sure what caused the accident ...I have a bubble wand that is spongy with plastic ends ..I had taken stuff out of the tank (silkplants) and a terrecota pot out the other day fearing he might try and wedge himself and hurt his eye.... after he lost his eye he was breathing pretty fast ..I thought for sure he would be a goner this morning ..but all seems good ..besides not eating ...I noticed he is starting to fade in color a bit ..but in patches ...no exsess slime coat no flashing ,no bottom sitting ..all fin are erect..One thing that I have noticed is alot of free floating with the current ..kinda resting and letting the soft current float him around ...most likley due to being weak :unsure:

It sounds very like what my Princess had. An internal bacterial or viral infection. It was almost as if her insides were suddenly filled with air instead of heavier organs and she was very light headed you know, pulled to the current and very slow. Syphoning around her when she was weak was a nightmare!

Most bacterial infections decrease appetite and some fish will become annorexic through not eating. The color fading is one of the first things to go when immune response is at a low..and also happens when a fish loses an eye (because blindness eliminates visual cues needed to maintain normal color). Maintaining color pigmentation is the last in a list of health priorities of neuroendocrine control and immune response.

Unfortunately immunity strength is also controlled by nutrition and he really needs to eat at this point. Did you try holding food in front of him and see if he'll bite, as Leslie suggested..what level salt are you at?