We Have Fry!

samoht70

Photo update!!

The fry are now over a week old and looking gigantic (well, comparably. :P ) They're getting an air-powered corner filter probably sometime later today.

fry01.jpg

fry02.jpg

fry03.jpg

fry04.jpg

Edited by thoughtsofjoy

They're starting to develop personalities, and they're getting bigger every day!

I call one Big Boy because he's growing faster than the others. There's another I've nicknamed Twitch because of the funny way he swims when he's looking for food. The last two I refer to as the Scaredy Cats because they're always hiding in the plant, even when it's food time!! :P

Sad news to report. We have a 100GPH filter going in their 10 gallon tank, wrapped up in two layers of nylons. Apparently sometime today the hose slipped down somehow, and one of the fry got sucked into it tail first.

I know to expect losses with fry, but we only had 4 to begin with and they were all healthy. I could tell them apart and had even given them nicknames... :cry

I'm not quite sure which one it was, but I know it wasn't Twitch. I think Big Boy is still in there. I think it was the smaller of the Scaredy Cats. :crying:

:bye2: little fry; you were very special to me.

In other news, the remaining three are growing fast. I'm now feeding them frozen BBs and daphnia as jewels suggested, and they seem to really like it.

I can see all fins now, and the tail fins are growing bigger. 2 of them have gotten their fry color; Twitch is still somewhat clear. I don't know if he'll make it, but I'm not going to cull so we'll give it our best shot.

We took pictures this morning... but I'm too sad to process and post them. Maybe in a few days.

Oh, so sorry to hear about the little fry. :k055:

I know each one is special to you, and even though they are small, they take a little piece of our heart with them.

Good luck with those that remain.

Do you have any new pics?

I love fry!

I have only one little one right now, but I have a bunch from last year.

Congratulations on the remaining babies thoughtsofjoy. I can't wait to watch them grow. They are already so cute in your pix. I lost many a fry to those nylons, exactly the same way where the water curent drags the folds and somehow an inquisitive one looks in :cry1 I'm sorry about that little one and wish the others lots of strength and fight :heart

Do you have any new pics?

I love fry!

I have only one little one right now, but I have a bunch from last year.

I love fry too!

I do have new pics, taken the day before the accident. There's a lot of them so I need to sort them to pick the best ones to show. It'll be awhile before I'll have the time, as I am taking summer classes and my priority with fish stuff is to finish designing our DIY canister filter. Don't worry, I will post them! :P

Congratulations on the remaining babies thoughtsofjoy. I can't wait to watch them grow. They are already so cute in your pix. I lost many a fry to those nylons, exactly the same way where the water curent drags the folds and somehow an inquisitive one looks in :cry1 I'm sorry about that little one and wish the others lots of strength and fight :heart

Thanks Imogen. :heart He was one of the smaller, weaker ones so I wasn't terribly surprised, just saddened. Two of them are whoppers and they growing much faster than little Twitch. They'll make it for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you can post more pictures as they grow, that would be great! It is so much fun watching them grow, and I can't wait to see what they will look like. Such cuties, and they are getting big!