We Have Fry!

samoht70

Thoughtsofjoy was checking the egg tank this morning, and saw a tiny fry! By the time I set up a small rubbermaid fry tank, there were three. Now there's four! Roman and Roxanne are parents now. Joy will not take her eyes off the tank. We're not sure how many eggs we isolated, but it wasn't more than a dozen or two. I think they're hatching as we watch, so we may find more as the day goes on.

Soo... what do we do now? I'm going to read everything about raising fry.

Congratulations, Grandmama & Grandpapa! :exactly I've heard that it's hard to get pics of fry, so don't be too discouraged if you can't get any. We still believe you! :)

You'll find all you need on here, and plenty will offer help, suggestions and advice I'm sure!

I hope more will hatch for you guys!! :grouphug:heart

Debbie

Edit for spelling.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fishy Fish

Guest TheBubbleQueen

Congratulations Joy and Penguin!! *^_^*

I hope more hatch for you two. Very exciting news, gl with the pictures and your new goldfish grandbabies! *^_^*

Pictures!

The proud parents chillin' in a bucket during a really big water change... Roman made the water VERY messy! Orange and white fantail/oranda mixes!!

parents01.jpgparents02.jpg

And now, the FRY! There are only four. :( But they are ADORABLE. I hope I find more soon! I had given up all hope; the egg tank started growing gross things (ugh, planaria) and I didn't think anything would come of it.

fry01.jpg

fry02.jpg

fry03.jpg

fry04.jpg

fry05.jpg

How old are the fry today?

You want to wait to feed them untill the fry are no longer clinging to surfaces. Before they are free swimming, they are still using the last of their yolk sacs, and any food offered to them will just rot.

Congrats! When they are swimming around usually 48hrs after hatching start feeding them BBS or you can make food. I;m feeing mine Spinach, blood-worm, BBS thats been blended into microscopic form. They love it! I feed mine about 5 x's daily sometimes more. just don't over feed and clean up any food left on bottom. I like to see my guys with nice pink tummies all the time it assures me they are eating well. Then comes the poo :yeah:

This was what I was expecting any day :hi5 ! You guys wanted this so much and here they are. CONGRATS to you all. The fish parents are gorgeous, it'll be so fun following their development.

Thanks all! Joy hijacked my thread because I'm gone at work all day...

The fry were definitely swimming about when we caught them (must have been a couple days old... it's fortunate that Joy saw them), so I fed them a crushed Pro Gold pellet last night, and they ate when they saw the tiny pieces floating about. It was fun to watch. :fishtank I seriously think that Joy spent the entire day laying on the floor, watching the fry eat (though today they got live BBS).

To minimize stress and create a better environment, I'll have Joy and add a fake plant to their currently empty tank.

Update! It's been a week since we found the fry (they were 2-3 days old by the time I noticed them... I really didn't think those eggs would hatch!), and they are getting bigger!

Right now if I stare at them very hard I can see their split double-tails, their pectoral fins, their little eyeballs, and even when they open their mouths! They're still about .5cm long and I can still see right through them... I can always tell when they're hungry! :D

I will post pictures when the camera battery is charged. :P

Congrats to you both!! :bounce I was actually hoping for fry because Florence (apparently wrong name) was chasing Moby around the tank for weeks driving me crazy. I guess they were just playing, which kind of disappointed me as they would have gorgeous babies.

Sounds like the fry are doing well, and good luck!