Just Thinking About It

Guest addicted2clownfish

they are really ugly I remember the first time I seen one I was like what in the world is that

but yeah I luckily never got stuck by any as my 6 line wrasse I used to have ate all the bristles lol she had a all you could eat buffet on them

if you really want to get rid of them an arrow crab will eat them ;) or a coral banded shrimp will eat them as well :)

• Admin

I had them once but they died on me, never did figure out what was killing them. But I got a dwarf Angel now and she really likes to pick at everything and havent seen bristles in the tank just the filter now so its better :D Just got to remember not to squeeze the filter pads when cleaning :lol

I also have a peppermint shrimp to eat alot of other bad nasties in the tank too.

I guess im lucky not to ever get a mantis in my tank :D

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the info everybody. That is one PRETTYYY tough looking shrimp lol

Actually i'm thinking twice, lol I dont even know if i will ever be ready for it. I guess I will stick with freshwater for now haha

Guest Jennkerry

Hey Chubbygold,

If your looking for a very informative website, go to Reefcentral.com. There are many experienced hobbiests that have learned from the best that will pass everything on to newbies. I am very experienced in saltwater, freshwater, and becoming experienced with ponds (I now have 2). Here is a picture of what an Anemone can become in your tank. This is a picture of a Sebae Anemone in my 125 gallon reef system. Purchased, it was about 3" in diameter, now, it maxed out at around 14" in diameter. So needless to say, I have to accomidate to that animal along with my 8" long tenticle Anemone. They are cool, and my clown hosts both, but they take over!! Go do some reading at reefcentral. You will get some good advice

Crackin.jpg

Guest Jennkerry

Yes, anemonies dont need to be hosted to thrive in a tank. The seabae anemonie are concidered a harder to care for species because of their delicate nature and take a while to settle in. I would say that bubble tip and long tenticle anemonies are your best bet with hardieness. Keep in mind, they do need high light.

Starting up a tank is or can be expensive depending on what equipment you buy. All Anemonies get big, some bigger then others, but overall it would take up the entire 10 gallon. If you want one, start with a 29 gallon, the cost difference wont be much different. Lights are gonna run about $300+ for metal Halides which you do need to keep anemonies healthy. Our lights on our 125 cost $1300! We have already invested 4-5 thousand, maybe more. Trust me, I dont want to keep track of what I have sank into my reef system. Start small, much cheaper that way.

I agree, and it's not just the lighting that is expensive. Those lights are very expensive to run, also. Our electric bill is never less than a hundred dollars a month!

Guest Jennkerry

Oh yea, my 125 alone costs me over $100 a month, then I have the two ponds, a 10 gallon reef and a 29 gallon freshwater upstairs. So, Im doing my best to get it under $200 a month, no such luck!

If your crafty and handy with tools, you can save yourself some $$$ by building your own custom stand and canopy. I built my own for the 10 gallon, and after the redwood stain and lumber, it was around $27.00 from Lowes. You cant buy a stand and canopy for that! I got the tank from nnnnnn for $9.97. The lights I bought online, they are Coralife Aqualight for $40, its PC lighting 18 watts. The filter is a submersible overflow called SubCurrent made by Current, I bought that from Marine Depot for $33.00

I had the heater, so if you dont have one, get a nice one, dont cheap out. One that you can set the temp. The rock I got from a local fish guy, I traded off some extra coral for some rock.

But look around, you may find someone local on Reefcentral that is selling it for $2 a pound. This system I have is very easy to care for, no issues, no fish, 2 snails, and lots of coral. OH, and to boot...IM A GIRL! Yes girls can build things too! My husband leaves the building to me, he plays Call of Duty, I build tank stands...what can I say!!

But find what your financial status is, I was able to get my 10 gallon up and running for just around $100. Here is a picture:

10Gallon.jpg

OH, and to boot...IM A GIRL! Yes girls can build things too! My husband leaves the building to me, he plays Call of Duty, I build tank stands...what can I say!!

You go girl!! :rofl

My boyf and I share the DIY around here-- he comes up with an idea, I make it practical and doable, and then we build it together. :D

DIY is awesome! Hooray for you!

• 4 weeks later...