Just Thinking About It

I have always loved saltwater tank, the reason is because It make me feel like i'm under the ocean, lol it's my dream to go there but I doubt i ever will be getting to go there, i only see videos (but i visit Oklahoma Aquarium sometimes)

anyway I'm thinking about starting just a small saltwater tank. About a 10 gallon. I know the anenome or however that is spelled is very hard to take care of and quite pricey as well, but I would really love to have one of it, and I'm not entirely sure how much it cost and where can I get it (online as well, but usally the shipping is already 2 times it price)

I would like to have 1 or 2 fish in there but it's crazy to think a marine fish would be trap in a 10 gallons. I dont know what fish I can have in a 10 gallon and how much it would cost. I dont think those clown fish would be able ot live in a 10 gallon...probably to small

And what about those coral reef or live rocks thing. I would like to know more about them, if there is any website you can direct me to would be great.

I know that saltwater tank is probably abit harder to take care of and is pretty pricey. So I wont be able to afford anything big and pricey but I would do my best to provide a good home. My parents agree to help me abit with the budget (They are in love with the videos I showed them)

I'm just considering it. Even if I will be getting one, Lol I wont problably get it until next year, will be learning about it and stuff

Hi,

Anemone is an animal and is not for a beginner, at least I wouldn't recommend it. Especially if they're big, they need plenty of water current and water quality to be maintained at a high level. If not, they will move about until they find the best position. I had a horror situation where it moved and completely covered the water pump mouth... but I managed to remove it just in time.

Unlike goldies, most saltwater fish are territorial. And if you really want a 10G tank, make sure to stay away from a damsel fish (they're highly territorial and will bully fish). Some fish like the bi-color dottyback, mandarins, or maroon clownfish will not tolerate fish of their own species and will fight to the death. Wrasses are aggressive and fishes such as tangs, butterfly fish will require ample swimming room and tank that is at least 50G or above.

But there're plenty of saltwater fish you can keep in a 10G tank... clownfish (true/ false percula), firefish, bi-color dottyback or gobies. But despite their small size, they still need plenty of swimming room too. Although these fish are not territorial does not mean they don't have their territories. The less "trespassing" the better, and I highly recommend keeping a maximum of two fishes of same or different family/species in a 10G tank.

And please do not keep seahorses with an aggressive eater such as clownfish... seahorses take time to spot their live food and is recommended to be kept in a seahorse only tank. The tank has to be tall as opposed to wide.

---

I never had the privilege of using expensive equipments and am more at a beginner level too myself although I have kept marine tanks for years with pretty healthy fish.

For beginner, just like goldies, I always worry about water evaporation and water change and that's it. Unlike goldies however, saltwater fish are not as tolerant to tap water no matter if we condition it with tap water conditioner. R/O water can be purchased at most LFS... and it will assure high level water quality.

Mark the level of water beside your tank with a marker or tape as to let you know how much water is lost to evaporation and just top it off with this water.

For water change, make sure you do the right amount of salt in a separate bucket/ container and prepare it at least 24 hrs in advance with air stone to aeriate the water... don't just mix the RO water and salt like 5 minutes and do water change :) Also, please make sure you have topped off the water lost to evaporation before you do water change or you will upset the level of salinity and stress fish.

And just like goldies, I never feed my fish more than what they can take at the time.

If you do these, you should not worry much about pH, Ammonia, etc.

I hope this helps I'm sure there're plenty more tips you can find.

And what about those coral reef or live rocks thing. I would like to know more about them, if there is any website you can direct me to would be great.

Live rocks are great especially if you're good at aquascaping. It provides not only homes/ little caves to small fish but also act as territory separation. But it is also essential as biological filter.

Unlike goldies, where we can rely on technological filter to remove most of the waste, biological live rock filter is essential. It is just a natural filter for them.

It goes with sand, the deeper the sand the better as it provides homes to beneficial critters that maintain water quality.

Unlike goldies, where you can cycle the tank in one week, most saltwater tanks are cycled in at least two weeks or normally 1-2 months. I did mine for one month before adding my first fish.

What you do when you add a live rock to your tank is add thousands of micro critters and sometimes beneficial crabs and starfish, to jumpstart the cycle. During the cycle, make sure to top off the water and do some water change especially in the first week or two... just to make sure the water is crystal clear not cloudy from the salt or sand/ rock. But after that you probably wouldn't need to do water change as much until you add a fish. At a 2nd week/3rd week stage, you can probably add turbo snails or hermit crabs. They are your cleaning crew and should maintain your sand/ substrate clean. If you buy hermit crabs, make sure not to get a crab eating crab like a dottyback. My mistake was to rely completely on the turbo snail to do the algae control job on the side glass but you'll have to do this too.

Hope this helps :)

wow thank you so much nakedsnake for all the informations, it helped me ALOT! lol yeah alot. I dont think I will be having it soon, say maybe in 5 years and I might just start with a bigger tank.

I'm abit skeptical about the water. How often should i change water? And everytime I do water change I have to go purchase the water from LFS?

^Well I once had a set up where I completely relied on RO water and compared to the previous set ups using tap water, the algae was in much more manageable control and did not boom.

Tap water contains metal and phospate (sp?) that are long-term damaging to the fish and especially corals. RO is pure water... they're not expensive... My problem was I had no personal transportation and had to use public transport like tram and bus here. Can you imagine dragging a 20 lt jug... good times :) but if you have a personal car, you should have no problem.

Bigger tanks like 50 gallons or above usually don't require water change as often as smaller tanks. It also depends if you have a sump/ protein skimmer (thesedays comes in mini and smaller set up, much cheaper)... that determine how often you should do water change.

I had no sump and no protein skimmer then... and I changed my water about once a week... 15-20%. It helps... I don't think it really takes 5 years to go into the hobby... as long as you want it, you can start immediately... but make sure to research/ ask anyone if you're not sure about things. Besides, people usually start small before they go big and while at the same time they gain more experience and knowing what to expect/ want in a bigger tank in the future.

And say no to undergravel filter... it just won't work in marine setups.

Edited by nakedsnake

Guest addicted2clownfish

i wouldn't get an anemone a 10 ga is too small also you need to have an established tank atleast 9months -12months old and at least 30 gallons recommended and an anemone can easily take up half of that alone!!!

A saltwater aquarium takes 6 weeks to cycle never use a live fish to cycle!!!! I would do alot of researching and reading before you decide to do saltwater are you going to do reef,FO,FWOLR?

what are you going to use for lighting pcs,t5ho,mh? what kind of filtration are you going to use? are you going to add a refugium or a sump?

you need to research what types of fish you are going to go with as some can get rather large quickly. you need to make sure these fish are compatible with eachother. you also need a CUC(cleanup crew) hermits snails etc

as for live rock if you are not getting cured to you need to cure it, also make sure there are no hitchhikers such as mantis shrimp ect you need to clean the rock get all the dead stuff off of it as it can really foul your tank up when you go to add it.

I say RO is the way to go as city water is high in phosphates and you can go through a never ending battle with diatoms and so fourth.

Edited by addicted2clownfish

Guest addicted2clownfish

yes they are they don't call them thumb splitters for nothing~ :exactly

The mantis has the fastest muscle movement in the world...

Where the mantis shrimp is pound for pound the strongest creature in the world.

Lucky mine never actually cracked my tank... but he killed my hermit crab for sure.

Guest addicted2clownfish

they almost have the same strength of a .22 caliber bullet and they are also the only animal in the world to have hyperspectral color vision they also have the most complex eye vision in the animal kingdom

IMO

mantis shrimp = reef hobbyist worst nightmare

the pistol shrimp is another one that has a powerful blow to its prey

I wouldn't keep a mantis shrimp as I have to many precious things in my reef

But I know there're some aquarists who keep a mantis shrimp only tank. Most hitchiking mantis is small and dull, but some LFS are actually selling the big colorful ones as a pet.

Just like this one mantis-shrimp-791419.jpg

• Admin

These shrimps the Mantis are known to break a tank if its glass. In some states there illegal to have too. I had a pistol shrimp and I will tell you its a very loud shrimp. All night the shrimp would make a pop gun noise and it killed a fish and crab or two. Personally there very pretty guys but one thing I have learned with Salt water creatures is that anything that looks very pretty is normally dangerous :yikes

That. is. one. mean. looking. shrimp.

WOW! Sounds like they need a 55gal all to themselves!

I'm sure if it's surrounded by hungry goldfish, especially Roxanne and the gang, it'll raise a white flag. :rofl

Guest addicted2clownfish

they are very nasty mantis shrimp

I know a few hobbyist on RC that keep them in either acryllic tanks or a thicker cut glass aquariums normally custom built as they can and will break the glass I had seen a video where a mantis took out a blue ringed octo(poisonous) another where a mantis took out a pistol shrimp.

Pistol shrimp are awesome esp randalls I have been searching for a randalls pistol shrimp and a goby to go together

mantis shrimp and blue ring

Guest addicted2clownfish

kinda makes ya wonder as a blue ring octo has enough poison to kill 26 humans with no known antidote yet it has no effect on the mantis shrimp in the above video link

Wow...

I used to study in Malaysia... let me tell you the local LFS often bring in blue-ring octopuses... I couldn't resist to get one... but obviously it didn't have a long life span. That is one nasty video... I've never seen any creature dare to attack the blue ring... did the video guy intentionally feed the mantis with blue ring?

As nasty and dangerous blue ring are, they don't deserve this treatment...

Guest addicted2clownfish

I don't think he intentionally did that on purpose I think like many others think being that the blue ring octo is highly poisonous the mantis shrimp wouldn't attack the blue ring octo but I guess it just proves that mantis shrimp will attack anything highly poisonous or not

Thats another one I wouldnt keep too much risk with the blue ring octo highly poisonous no antidote I just treasure my life too much

Guest addicted2clownfish

yep it does thats why I will always qt any live rock in a really big rubbermaid bin and I will look all night if I have to just to see if a mantis is in there.

I plan on getting more rock for reef tank and it will be qt'd I am taking no chances of a mantis getting into my reef one of those would definitely feast on my fish better to be safer then sorry later down the line

• Admin

Yeah I learned the hard way, I didnt QT some of my rock and now I got Bristle worms in my tank :( . I got a fish that eats them but man its still a problem in the filter :(

Guest addicted2clownfish

bristles are actually good for your reef they are part of the clean up crew it is when they become 8+inches you then have to worry about them

I would rather deal with a bristle then a mantis lol

• Admin

True but man when you stick your hand into the filter for the first time not thinking much of anything and get one or two on your skin that will teach ya :lol2 and there so ugly to look at :(