Sign in to follow this  
love-rabbit-fish

My First Fry!

hello all!

a couple of days ago, I discovered my very first batch of goldfish fry! Woot! :D

About 2 weeks ago, I moved some of my plants from my pond into a seperate 30 gal pond, I didn't want to kill the plants from the salt I was putting in the main pond. Today, the plants were really thriving so I came to check up on them. When I moved some of the plants around, I saw these little sticks moving, they were goldfish fry LOL! I couldn't believe it at first, but there they was! They seem really healthy despite the lack of human intervention, I am so excited LOL! I will start them on some fry food soon! :D

I can see lots of the little ones in there, they are about 1/4 inch each, give or take a little, they are so darn cute LOL!

I am so excited! It will be fun watching these guys grow! They are common/comet fry btw!

a video of them, I had to use night shot on the cam, so the colors are a bit weird LOL!

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p102/lo...nt=M2U00040.flv

Edited by love-rabbit-fish

Congrats!! You seem like a proud noew mom ;)

Look at those pale little sticks!!!!With eyes on :DCONGRATULATIONS goldie fry Mom :exactly Whoooooooooooot what an exciting happening :happydance:flowerss:pianobanana .

It looks like they are sleeping in that video- so very cute :heart ! How many are there, can you tell?

They must have been nibbling on the pond algae, and green water spirulina, high time for some baby brine shrimp I think- they will LOVE those ,if you can get some..it is going to be a lot of fun seeing how your fry turn out. Do you know the parents or not?

Oh and An is the pond still at 0.3% salt..or have you taken that down???

The vid looks like it is from a horror movie...hmmm could it be the haunting of An's fish tank

Congrats on the fry..good luck with them :D

Congrats!! You seem like a proud noew mom ;)

Thanks LOL! I am! :D

Look at those pale little sticks!!!!With eyes on :DCONGRATULATIONS goldie fry Mom :exactly Whoooooooooooot what an exciting happening :happydance:flowerss:pianobanana .

It looks like they are sleeping in that video- so very cute :heart ! How many are there, can you tell?

They must have been nibbling on the pond algae, and green water spirulina, high time for some baby brine shrimp I think- they will LOVE those ,if you can get some..it is going to be a lot of fun seeing how your fry turn out. Do you know the parents or not?

Oh and An is the pond still at 0.3% salt..or have you taken that down???

Thanks Imo! :D I think there is atleast 12 in there, there's prolly many more though. I will go to pet**smart tomorrow and look for some baby brine shrimps, and I will also get a packet of Hikari first bite. I have been feeding them some hard boiled yolks the past few days, and they are luving it! this is so exciting LOL!

As for the parents, I think I might know who the moms are, they are most likely Hognose, Medi, Marble, and Corble. They were all rescues that were from pet*smart last year and they grew so much! These four have not shown any stars yet, and their belly were really round. I also saw that they also lost some of their scales on their sides which might be from chasing. The dads are prolly Tangie and Rocket and maybe the choco comet. It will be interesting to see how the fry turn out! :D

Yep, the large pond is still at 0.3 % salt, but the pond the fry are in doen't have any salt at all :)

congrats!!..that must have been a great surprise :D

LOL it was! :D i was just looking at the plants, and Bamm, i saw these little sticks swimming around LOL! :rolleyes:

The vid looks like it is from a horror movie...hmmm could it be the haunting of An's fish tank

Congrats on the fry..good luck with them :D

haha, it was kind of scarey wasnt it LOL! The sounds and colors makes everything creepier.

Congrats! They're so cute!

Thanks! :D

another update of the fries, it has been 1 week since i discovered them.

This fry is huge! It's largest out of the fries i had seen in there

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p102/lo...nt=M2U00070.flv

this little fella is eating something LOL

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p102/lo...nt=M2U00071.flv

any idea of how old they are? :)

They are getting big...The one that was eating was eating a mosquitoe(sp) larve...

Update!

here are the fries, video taken on last Sunday, May 11 (21 days since discovery)

A GIANT fry! :o he looks like a mini common LOL! he is prolly the largest of them all in there. Notice how large he is compared to the other little stick fries LOL

th_M2U00161.jpg

th_M2U00154.jpg

another large one, lookie, colors! :thumbsup:

th_M2U00155.jpg

th_M2U00165.jpg

a stick fry, most of them look like this, they are more rounder and larger today though ;-)

th_M2U00159.jpg

that;s it for now LOL

Look at those! They are so adoreable :exactly There always seems to be a few whoppers -they have a head start in life for sure.

Congrats again An, they are really cute and I look forward to seeing more pics as they grow :D

thanks! i cant wait to see them in a few months LOL! it will be an interesting summer :D

here are some possible parents of the fry :goldfish: pics taken today

possible mothers:

Marble (red common)

IMG_0216.jpg

Medi

IMG_0240.jpg

Hognose

IMG_0243.jpg

Buffalo

IMG_0239.jpg

Wing

IMG_0333.jpg

Tumie

IMG_0218.jpg

Laces

IMG_0077.jpg

Alesso

IMG_0274.jpg

Possible Dads:

Tangie

IMG_0248.jpg

tangie again

IMG_0313.jpg

Rocket

IMG_0130.jpg

Rubey

IMG_0281.jpg

Crokett

IMG_0284.jpg

Vannelynn

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Vannelynn and Alesso :heart

IMG_0293.jpg

Your fish are so beautiful! They look so big!

And you have some calico fry, they are sooo cute!!! :heart

thanks Annette! yay, i love shubbies lol :D

here are some new pics of the fry, 28 days since discovery

the big fry, he has a heart marking near his head lol

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

a size comparison

IMG_0401.jpg

the medium fry

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Yumm!

IMG_0409.jpg

some smaller fry, they are getting there! that's just a strand of my dog's fur, not a worm LOL! no worries ;-)

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

Oh My, they are beautiful!!!!

Looks like little shubbies!

I hope to have some fry like those this summer,

I have a female shubie!

Wow, will you look at all those detailed pictures! They are lovely, An - good job! Looks like a lot of shubunkin offspring in there, so my guess is that Laces is somewhere in this mix. She is beautiful! :heart So is your black comet. Good luck with the little ones, and keep the pics coming.

Thanks Andrea!!! :D

Some fresh pics of the babies now :heart

Here's the big one, He's still the largest of the bunch, i love him :wub:

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

An artsy side

IMG_2723.jpg

The other fries

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

I think there are about 6 left in there, aren't they cute!

Guest Montman

It's amazing to see them grow.

Thanks for sharing!

they look so calm!

An~ they look fantastic :#1:clapping: Really looking good. So straight and so much color going now. I love the pics of them eating- awesome shots -thanks for sharing your pond babies and all power and strength to them :flex: Keep posting updates please!!

Ho ho ho looking very very good :D

Thanks!!! :D I'll def. keep you guys updated!!

It was hard taking those pics LOL, they're so skittish, and now they're fast too, which only makes taking pics worse. I had to throw in some food just to lure them out LOL. :rolleyes:

Do you think they are decent size for their age? I think they are about 3.5 - 4 months old at the most, and the biggest fry is only about 2.5 inches including tail :idont

Wow, An, they're huge! My fry were hatched around the same time, and they're still 1" with fry color!

Beautiful, beautiful!