Sign in to follow this  
Guest zildjian_4

Is This Fish Healthy?

Guest zildjian_4

hi everyone,im looking to buy this fish but dont know how healthy it is really...looks like a fantail/comet mix. its about 1 foot long and hes askign 10 bucks. please be critical of it. thanks!

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/zi...nt=IMG_2557.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/zi...sc/IMG_2557.jpg

btw ive never attached an image like this b4, so if it doesnt work just lemme know. thanks!

it looks to have red streaks in the fins ...fins look to be clamped but it's hard to tell and the scales look iffy in the pic

It doesn't look the best to me, but it's also in a tank with tropicals...so maybe all it needs is the proper conditions.

I just bought a fish that had a similar red area between the body and tail -- Trinket said that was a sign of a flex infection.

The clamped fin makes me think the fishy isn't feeling too great...but the conditions could definitely be the issue.

Guest iaedyene

Imo if you have a tank big enough and empty so that you could properly quarantine him/her I'd take it. I mean shoot $10 is a great price for that size of fish. However if you're looking to add it to an established tank and don't have proper room to quarantine - I'd pass because you don't want to run the risk of the health of your other fish.

and just remember a sick 10 $ fish is not a 10 $ fish anymore...I bought my lionhead with massive tailrot and with the price of the fish plus meds ...could put me in the 50-75 $ dollar range ..and he was a 10$ fish.....but Mr Miagui's friendship.....pricless :D

Edited by hi-d

Well if you have a big tank for it (50 gallons???) I think you should get him/her. He doesn't seem to have any illnesses, he just seems a little out of shape. When i got flash (may he rest in peace) He had red in his fins but i was able to get him up into prime condition.

Guest zildjian_4

ya the red streaks concerned me too, and so did the clamped fins but i wasnt sure if that was just because theyre so thin and long. I dont know if i`ll get it though, im no expert with fish and i dont wnt to have to buy any more medication:P.. but if i go to see him in person and he looks decent, and active, i might just take him home. I know ppl put fantails in their ponds, would this fish be ok in my 200 gal pond?

He actually is a very pretty fish to me - I love it how those few scales shine right at ya! :heart The white streaks in the fins aren't always something to worry about - this is an all-white fish, and a lot of them have their veins in the fins just shown more. As to the dorsal fin, looks like the picture just was taken in an odd moment, where he was simming a bit faster. When comets swim faster, or any fish for that matter, the dorsal goes down some - for speed... :)

and just remember a sick 10 $ fish is not a 10 $ fish anymore...I bought my lionhead with massive tailrot and with the price of the fish plus meds ...could put me in the 50-75 $ dollar range ..and he was a 10$ fish.....but Mr Miagui's friendship.....pricless :D

Very well put!

Personally I would zap this white boy up in a heartbeat. QT him, get him healthy & then release him to your 200 pond. He will most certainly think he won the lottery. :thumbup:

Guest zildjian_4

QT him might be a problem. I have my 30 gal with a couple fancies in it that i couldnt risk, and then ive got an 8 gallon or so small tank filter and all, but is moreso used for the smaller fish that i buy. So, in the end, the fish will probably cost well over 100 dollars for a QT tank, then filter etc and multiple meds....

you could Q him in a rubbermaid tub ..with a filter an airstone ..lots of people do this or even perfer it ....do you think he is needing meds ?...

I have a white common and you can see the veins in the fins & the base of the tailfin! It's the way they are! Your's has gorgeous flowing fins!!

Guest Sangreaal

I can't see any barbels, but that sure looks like a longfin koi. Longfins have very delicate finnage and if the water parameters aren't pristine they will often get red streaks in their fins. Doesn't mean the fish is sick, just stressed.

If this fish IS a longfin koi, it needs a really big tank or better yet, a goodly-sized pond as it can grow well over 20".

Pretty fish.

Marie

Looks like the red/white fish right above the comet is a cichlid? :unsure: What is that doing in a goldfish tank? :thud

Guest zildjian_4
I can't see any barbels, but that sure looks like a longfin koi. Longfins have very delicate finnage and if the water parameters aren't pristine they will often get red streaks in their fins. Doesn't mean the fish is sick, just stressed.

If this fish IS a longfin koi, it needs a really big tank or better yet, a goodly-sized pond as it can grow well over 20".

Pretty fish.

Marie

ny1 else think it could be a koi?

Looks like the red/white fish right above the comet is a cichlid? :unsure: What is that doing in a goldfish tank? :thud

your right ... :blink::( ...