Sign in to follow this  
thoughtsofjoy

Editorial On Fish In The University Paper

So there's this awful section of my university's student newspaper that comes out on Thursday called "The MiX." It's full of stupid articles, sorry attempts at wit and humor, jaded and cynical about life and the college experience. This past Thursday a girl wrote an editorial on "how to get around" the no-pet policy most apartment complexes have (allergies for the next tenant, stains, etc). This bit is her take on fishkeeping:

Fish:

Fish make fantastic pets, especially for college kids. They?re incredibly low-maintenance and you probably won?t come home one day to find them splattered all over the road ? unless you and your roommate are having issues.

One of the coolest aspects of owning fish is getting to decorate their tank. With the right leftover toys, your goldfish can occupy a re-creation of the battle at Hoth. Aside from providing a creative outlet, fish are hardy. Every time I found one of my guppies belly-up, I would return with a net only to find him swimming about. I thought they were undead until they eventually did die and I realized they had all just been playing sick jokes on me.

It irked me so I wrote a letter to the editor. Thought I would share. Here's my response:

Cayla Lambier obviously knows nothing about fishkeeping. As a fish hobbyist (and lover of goldfish, as nerdy as that may sound), her statement in Thursday's pet-keeping article that fish are "incredibly low-maintenance" was incredibly wrong. Taking care of fish, from bettas to saltwater reefs, is difficult, no matter what type of fish you get. (There is really no such thing as an easy "starter" fish.) It involves ecology, biology, chemistry, engineering, math, a substantial amount of money, and a passion for your fishy friend. For example, goldfish need at least 10 gallons each in order to thrive-- don't think that your fish will live long in that microscopic bowl you bought. They also need a lot of water filtration, a certain range of pH, dechlorinated water, and a cycled tank... the list goes on! With proper conditions, goldfish can live upwards of 10 years and can grow to be over 10" long. As with any pet, do your research before you buy, and please, don't purchase it if you can't take proper care of it. There are plenty of great websites and forums that can teach you all there is to know about keeping an aquarium-- try Kokosgoldfish.com.

Wow, that is a great letter you wrote! It's a very clear and concise explanation of how high-maintenance fish actually are.

Fish keeping can be hard work, but we do it because we love it, and we care about our aquatic friends.

I'm going to save this to give to the next friend who wants to get fish because they are "easy".

Fish keeping can be hard work, but we do it because we love it, and we care about our aquatic friends.

I'm going to save this to give to the next friend who wants to get fish because they are "easy".

:exactly I love my fish so much... they're more than just decoration or an experiment to me.

Thanks cometgirl--- that's quite the compliment! You're welcome to spread it around if you please. :D

Kudos! Thats a great, professional and educated response.

Not to mention that "left over toys" often have chemicals that could easily leech out into the water and kill your new pet. :\

Good reply thoughtsofjoy. Did they print it? They should.

I don't like the idea of people being led to believe tanks are modern art and can have heaps of junk put in them and the water still be fit for fish. Or that fish are low maintenance. She has given a very misleading impression of fishkeeping priorities.

I agree, very well put. Please let us know if they print it and if there are any responses to it!

One other thing about keeping fish in dorms/apartments is that they usually do have a size limit, and I think the largest you can have in a dorm is about 10 gallons. And we know long term, that is still too small for goldfish.

I referred a friend of mine here years ago because he was living in a dorm here and could only have a 5 gallon tank, and he put two "feeder fish" in it. They quickly outgrew it and polluted it and then he had a whole other mess of problems.

One other thing about keeping fish in dorms/apartments is that they usually do have a size limit, and I think the largest you can have in a dorm is about 10 gallons. And we know long term, that is still too small for goldfish.

The tank size limit at the dorms here was 25 gallons, and in my apartment they said a 20 gallon was fine. (I have 50 gallons total... but don't tell anyone! :P ) So there's isn't much of an excuse there... you could happily house 1-2 goldfish in a dorm... a 10 gallon tank is only $11! (Well, I suppose that doesn't include a filter. But still, there's Craigslist and the dumpster. :D )

Everyone else, thanks so much for your kind comments and support. I sent it late Thursday, so if it's printed it may be in Monday's paper. Will keep thread updated!

Good reply!

I'm still surprised that goldfish are marked as easy fish to care for when it really hasn't been easy for me due to all the points that you made! I hope they publish your response!

Im glad you took the time to write to the editor but I'd love to know where that girl found the undead guppies, I could do with some of them. Around here all the commercial stock is seriously inbreed and seem to carry a strain of columnaris that sometimes takes months to surface. I thought I might be a jinx to guppies but Mads used to work in an aquarium and confirmed by suspicions.

back to topic - well done - you never know how many people may be influenced by your article.

They printed my article, though they edited it a bit. I guess I did sound quite mean to the editorial writer in the first sentence... but they took off my plug to Kokos! :madrant

Fishy friends require time, love and money

Editor:

As a fish hobbyist and lover of goldfish, as nerdy as that may sound, I think Cayla Lambier’s statement in Thursday’s pet-keeping article that fish are “incredibly low-maintenance” was incredibly wrong. Taking care of fish, from bettas to saltwater reefs, is difficult, no matter what type of fish you get. There is no such thing as an easy “starter” fish. It involves ecology, biology, chemistry, engineering, math, a substantial amount of money and a passion for your fishy friend. For example, goldfish need at least 10 gallons each in order to thrive – don’t think your fish will live long in that microscopic bowl you bought. They also need a lot of water filtration, a certain range of pH, dechlorinated water and a cycled tank ... the list goes on. With proper conditions, goldfish can live upward of 10 years and can grow to be more than 10 inches long. As with any pet, do your research before you buy, and please, don’t purchase it if you can’t take proper care of it. There are plenty of great websites and forums that can teach you all there is to know about keeping an aquarium.

Edited by thoughtsofjoy

well why woul,d they do that !! afraid people might learn somthing !!..it was well put otherwise .. :)

They must have a policy or something about promoting services that haven't paid for the right! I don't know; if you search goldfish, goldfishconnection (which links to us) and Koko's are some of the top choices-- hopefully people from my university will find us.

Hey, congratulations on getting it printed!! Even if it was a little edited it still sounded great and got the message across. :)

The tank size limit at the dorms here was 25 gallons

Luckily at my school in the handbook it states under Pet Policy:

No pets except fish are permitted in University-owned student rooms or other campus buildings.

There is no mention of the size of the tanks, though my Resident Life here complains about my 20 and 39 gallon tanks in my room, nothing can be done.

I love beating the system. They also tried to get it passed to cap a limit once they realized they had a fish lover on their hands, but failed due to I have had no problems with my tanks. No leaks or such that has caused any reason for them to put in a cap limit :D

The tank size limit at the dorms here was 25 gallons

Luckily at my school in the handbook it states under Pet Policy:

No pets except fish are permitted in University-owned student rooms or other campus buildings.

There is no mention of the size of the tanks, though my Resident Life here complains about my 20 and 39 gallon tanks in my room, nothing can be done.

I love beating the system. They also tried to get it passed to cap a limit once they realized they had a fish lover on their hands, but failed due to I have had no problems with my tanks. No leaks or such that has caused any reason for them to put in a cap limit :D

whatta bunch of killjoys !!! gotta love loop holes :D

congrats on getting ur response printed!