Java Plants

El Pez

I would like to have my tank planted with java moss and java ferns. My substrate will not have much gravel (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch) so i need a plant i can attach to rocks and driftwood(i will have many chucks of wood in the tank). So i came to the conclussion of java plants. First off, will goldfish eat them? Second, how do you attach java ferns to plants and rocks. I know java moss is tied using fishing line but i imagine java ferns have roots? :blink: And finally, how do you go about finding java moss. It seems to be a popular plant but i never really see it at any lfs.

Any tips or comments would be appreciated considering i've never attempted a plants tank before.

Thanks

Java Moss & Java Fern are very tough plants. Most goldies will try to nibble at them at first, then lost interest. However my late 8" fantail was a nightmare with plants and eat EVERYTHING. So it depends on the fish.

Java Ferns do have roots. You just need to tie the plant (preferably with fishing line, not to tight) to the driftwood, make sure most of the root touching the wood. In a few weeks the plant will have anchored itself to the wood & if you wish u can remove the fishing line.

Java Moss should be one of the easiest plants to find. Just look around and you'll find a store that sells them.

just to clarify, you put the fishing line around the roots to attach it to the wood, not around say the stem and have the roots freely touching the wood?

• 4 weeks later...