Sign in to follow this  
Guest zildjian_4

Shubunkin Fungus/fin Rot

Guest zildjian_4

Hi everyone, im new to this site, but not so much to fish.

I have had an aquarium in my room for the past 3 years with fancy goldfish, and a pond with shubunkins and comets for the past 4. It just warmed up here so i went up to the pond to take a look at my fish. i cleaned some algae here and there and did a 50% water change to start the spring. I had just bought about 10 new comets(4-5" long) and with them i have 1 shubunkin. I saw the shub for the first time today and noticed the fish did not look good at all. its fins were close to its body, it was slow, and more importantly, the fish skin is peeling or its fungus or something. Ive never had a problem with my fish and i keep the water immaculate so im not familiar with treating sickness'. I have a 10 gallon aquarium that im using for a hospital tank. When adding water to the tank i let it sit as long as possible, and put Aqua Plus tap water conditioner in it. Any ideas of what i can do?Thanks

oh btw, the pond is approx 200-250 gallons, and i do 25% water changes every2 weeks.

Hello and Welcome to Koko's! :)

I'm not familiar with ponds or their upkeep, but I am sorry that your fish isn't doing well. I hope someone can come on soon who can be of help.

My first thought with skin peeling off would be a low pH, but that would effect all of the fish - not just one.

I wish you all the best caring fish, and it having a speedy recovery! :exactly

Debbie

Guest zildjian_4

thanks for your reply..

my fish is becoming slightly more active. I put API's liquid fungus cure in the tank and removed the carbon filter. The skin that i thought was peeling off my fish now looks kinda like its the fungus thats peeling off, but i`m not sure, ive been sitting on the floor in front of the tank for 30 minutes watching him lol. i did notice that the top part of his tail seems to be broken a little bit, and its causing him lots of trouble when he tries to manouver. Is there a medication for that or will that just heal on its own? i dont put a sling on it do i? :P:P

Guest zildjian_4

oh 1 other thing i forgot to mention, should i try to rub some of the fungus or dead skin off the fish?thsanks

Guest zildjian_4

please some1 help me, hes getting worse now!!the fungus is starting to grow over his right eye and he doesnt move whatsoever!!!what do i do!?the water condition are perfect, ive got the API fungus cure stuff in there, but nothings happening..the coat around the fish on the top is probably 1/8" think!what do i do?

Hi zildjian, :welcome

Not all of the moderators or helpers are on every hour of the day, and many of the other members may feel unqualified to help you. It takes a bit of patience, but someone who knows what they're doing WILL get to your topic.

According to API, Liquid Fungus Cure "Effectively treats eye fungus and mouth fungus (Saprolegnia) infections. Quickly controls contagious fungus infections and helps prevent the growth of fungus on fish eggs prior to hatching. Provides a synthetic slime replacement that helps form a barrier against secondary infection." Since this is the condition you are reporting your fish to be in, it is likely that you are treating correctly. However, medications take TIME and some diseases are known to get worse before they get better.

What you can do in the meantime is keep the water absolutely pristine. Healthy water = healthy fish. Keep a close eye on your water parameters. Remember to redose your medication to appropriate levels after doing a water change.

API had no information about whether Fungus Cure is compatible with a salt solution, so others may have more insight for you. A 0.3% salt solution can ease the stress and help prevent secondary infections. HOWEVER, without knowing if it is safe to use salt with Fungus Cure, I would NOT use salt. Yet. Wait for confirmation from a mod/helper.

I hope this helps.

Guest zildjian_4

thanks im just in a bit of a panic since hes my favourite fish haha.. the little API bottle doesnt say anything about water changes while the medicine is in there. Im wondering if today(24 hrs after first dose, next dose comes in another 24 hrs) i should do a 50% water change, i figure since theres a sick fish in a 5 gal tank the water is probably infested with disease. any thoughts on this?

sorry about your fish Zildjian.. :( ...like joy said mods and helpers can't always be here but for us to figure out what has accurred in your pond can you post your water paremeters..also test PH the way you are describing the condition ...almost sounds like a ph crash which will peel off the slime coat and kill your fish ... like fishy fish said that it should accure in all and not one ..I know you have answered some of the questions in the white box but can you answere all so the mods have an Idea.. you can have immaculate water but unstable ph and kh which can pose a threat as well..

Guest zildjian_4

uh oh!!

i feeding the little guys today and noticed that 3 or 4 more have this same conditon as my old shubunkin:O!!! it just happens that theyre the big ones too!! theyre fast, the act normal, their top fin is down but they seem fine, but they are showing signs of peeling skin or something...so i did my 50% change at the beginning of the season(about 2-3 weks ago) then last week i did a 100% change(took all the fish out, put them in a tub of pond water for about 30 minutes with a filter going). I added tap water conditioner(for a 200g pond thats ALOT!) and everything was clean, clear, fish wrere happy, and this way i figured i flushed out the disease from the shubunkin. Now, i went to the pet store again the other day and looked at test kits and they are almost 100 bucks!which i thought is absolute madness for some goldfish i picked up for 10 bucks. Ive never used any of that stuff before and never ever had problems in my tank with fish getting sick. I think im just going to do 25% water changes every 2 days for a bit, put the conditioner in, and hope for the best.

I'm sorry that you're other fish are showing the same symptoms. :( I really wish I knew more about ponds and their care.

Do ponds need a special test kit? API has a freshwater test kit for about $30. It tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. They are usually sold separately, as well. These might be beneficial to help figure out what could be wrong.

I only know that spring time is a most dangerous time for pond fish, since their immunities are low and they are very susceptible to parasitic and bacterial infections.

Fingers crossed that someone peeks in here soon! :goodluck

Debbie

It won't let me edit.

I'm so sorry that you lost your fish. :cry1

Is it possible to get some pictures of your fish? That would help a great deal, too. I've been searching for other possiblities of what my look like skin peeling off, or fungus. There's Columnaris - which is a bacterial infection, and also Chilodonella - which is a parasite. So a picture would probably be great. :)

Again, I'm so sorry for the loss of your favorite fish. It can be so tragic. :(

Rest In Peace, Little Fish. :rip:

Debbie

Hi there, Zildjian! I am sorry you are having problems with your pond fish - a pond should be something enjoyable, and most of the time it is.

Unfortunately, as much of a bother it might seem, we do need the exact water readings to start somewhere. I know you don't have a test kit, and to buy one seems expensive. $100 seems outragious - I have seen complete test kits for around 25 US$. If you can't find one cheaper, you can bring a sample of your pond water (and tap water, since you are at it) to your pet store and they do the testing for you. Mostly free, but some might charge a small fee. Let them test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH and kH. Especially pH is important - I can't help but wonder if the pH is an issue here. Some fish are more sensitive to pH swings than others, and with a pond just awakening after a winter you never know whats going on in your water without testing it. Make sure they give you actual numbers of the test results - not the usual "this is fine" and "that is too high". What is fine for some fish, isn't always okay for others. :)

When you say you used Fungus Clear, you mean the Jungle brand, with 8 tablets in a package, 1 tablet per 10 gl of water? Wow, with that treatment you must have carried home a ton of boxes! :thud If your fish store has a pond section, I would snoop through it and see if they don't have a treatment specifically for ponds. A lot more concentrated, and therefore you don't need to buy half the store's worth of a medicine that is really only intended for a smaller body of water. :)

That said, my mind keeps going back to the fact that you have added 10 new fish. How many fish do you have altogether now, and are they all shubunkin or comets? I assume all the sick fish, as well as the dead one, were from your old stock, not from the new batch? Without quarantining the new fish, they easily and 98% of the time will bring some nasty bugs from the pet store. That is why quarantine is so important - it saves the lifes of your current fish, and yourself a lot of money and heartache.

So, first and foremost, try to get the testing done, and a headcount of all your fish. I get the sneaking suspicion that there are a few too many in the pond as well. :) Hang in there, we are trying to figure this one out. :)

Guest zildjian_4

ok ill try and find a cheaper kit somewhere and give you guys readings next week. The 1 fish(the subunkin) that died was from my old batch(2 years old i think) and then the 10 new ones were from a goldfish breeder around town. i didnt know much about them until my one got sick and i found this site, so i let the bags sit for 20 minutes in the pond, then released them. few days later i did a approx 90% water change, added conditoner etc. the 2 or 3 fish that are showing signs now are from the new batch, and happen to be the bigger ones(5" or so) but i was out there today with them, feeding them out of my hand :exactly:o , and noticed they are doing a lot better. the dorsal fins are almost 100% erect and the skin and scales looks much more solid and clear. Theyve been eating a lot lately and i think they might be just oK!! so anyways, i will still get a test kit and do a test once a week. also, ill be doing a 25-40% water change to keep the ammonia lvls down. The fish are much more friendly toO!like i said, i fed a couple out of my hand today freeze dried krill!! so, all is looking upwards now, thanks for the help!ill post the readings next week and you guys can tell me what you think!ttyl!

oh btw, theres 12 fish in a 200 gal pond.4 or 5 are comets, the others commons. so...i know for those kind of fish they need 20 gal each, so im actually 2 fish overstocked but the guy threw 3 extra in for free, and they were bigger, couldnt say no lol.

Edited by zildjian_4

I'm glad that your fish are acting better now! And also that they're warming up to you. I know you were concerned about that in another post. They learn pretty quickly who it is that feeds them. :)

Please get the test kit, and the results as soon as possible. The sooner the better.

With an overstocked tank (and I imagine a pond, too), you have the potential for a build up of not just ammonia, but bacteria and other nasties that thrive when space is limited - and fish are stressed. Fish are stressed if they don't have enough room.

I understand that it can be difficult to turn away free fish, but you also have to think about the fish. Is it possible to house two of them in a tank instead of the pond? Just a thought.

I hope they continue to improve for you! :exactly

Debbie

Guest zildjian_4
I'm glad that your fish are acting better now! And also that they're warming up to you. I know you were concerned about that in another post. They learn pretty quickly who it is that feeds them. :)

Please get the test kit, and the results as soon as possible. The sooner the better.

With an overstocked tank (and I imagine a pond, too), you have the potential for a build up of not just ammonia, but bacteria and other nasties that thrive when space is limited - and fish are stressed. Fish are stressed if they don't have enough room.

I understand that it can be difficult to turn away free fish, but you also have to think about the fish. Is it possible to house two of them in a tank instead of the pond? Just a thought.

I hope they continue to improve for you! :exactly

Debbie

:) ive got a 30 g tank inside with 2 commons and an oranda, all bought before i knew what they actually needed. before i came here i was going to buy 1 of each kind of goldfish out there lol. so theres 3 in a 30 g tank. the pond has 12 in 200g. i suppose its close since theyre all single tail fish and need 20 g each but i think theyll be ok. my gf is getting a 20g tank soon so maybe she`ll want some comets or something, who knows..

oh btw, im so excited today lol, the first time i fed my fish freeze dried krill out of my hand!!never thought to do it until i heard some1 say it on here, its so funny, my little oranda just tore it out of my hand haha.

Yeah, you are just a tad overstocked, but the smaller size of the fish are to your advantage at the moment, until they grow. And grow they will - fast! :thud

I am glad that things are looking up some, and the fish are doing better. With the new fish, it might just have been stress, and maybe adjusting to your water conditions, compared to the ones they came from. STill, testing on a regular basis is a must with an overstocked system.

Is your pond covered, or can leaves and things fall in? I am just thinking that with a pond it is much harder to maintain the bottom of the pond. Its harder to reach than a tank, plus the bottom is dark, so you might not see any debris down there. If debris accumulates, it can harbor nasty bacteria that you don't want or need. So, in addition to more frequent water changes, have a look at the bottom every now and then. When its cleaner, you have less chance of things to sneak up on you as well. You can develop a habit of, say, going over the bottom with a net while the water goes out during a water change. That is what I do. WHen the water level is lower, you can see the gunk much better.

Good luck with your fish, and keep us posted once you get the water tests done. :)

Guest zildjian_4
Yeah, you are just a tad overstocked, but the smaller size of the fish are to your advantage at the moment, until they grow. And grow they will - fast! :thud

I am glad that things are looking up some, and the fish are doing better. With the new fish, it might just have been stress, and maybe adjusting to your water conditions, compared to the ones they came from. STill, testing on a regular basis is a must with an overstocked system.

Is your pond covered, or can leaves and things fall in? I am just thinking that with a pond it is much harder to maintain the bottom of the pond. Its harder to reach than a tank, plus the bottom is dark, so you might not see any debris down there. If debris accumulates, it can harbor nasty bacteria that you don't want or need. So, in addition to more frequent water changes, have a look at the bottom every now and then. When its cleaner, you have less chance of things to sneak up on you as well. You can develop a habit of, say, going over the bottom with a net while the water goes out during a water change. That is what I do. WHen the water level is lower, you can see the gunk much better.

Good luck with your fish, and keep us posted once you get the water tests done. :)

my water is crystal clear so i can always see the bottom. the stoes arent selling plants yet so the fish arent protected so i have a 5'x6' piece of chicken wire over it. it is about 20 inches deep in the deepest spot, and there somes ledges that are about 10 inches.I keep it clear of leaves, but my bigger concern is pine tree needles as it is near a somewhat old dying pine tree and my parents wont let me take it down or relocate:(. I am always scanning the bottom for leaves etc. i clean the filter(not boil or anything, just rinse little pieces of leaves etc off that i cant get myself) and put it back in. i think my pump now is only maybe 300-400gph so im going to use that for a fountain thing for better aeration and then get about 750gph for a waterfall(already set up, but the 300-400gph pump just wasnt enough and made it look silly). Anyways....ya hopefull my fish grow fast, ill sell some when they grow a bit.once the small ones get to 6" ill sell them and let the other bigger ones thrive