Fry Hatched

Guest alfie2110

Guest alfie2110

Had some babys born today, when should i start to feed them baby brine shrimp (frozen)? some of them are swimming already but just side to side but most are sitting on the bottom and sides of the tank. feeding them 2 drops of the liquidfeed a day will this be enough or should i give them more? i also think i have some dead eggs what should i do with these? as some are dead and some are getting ready to hatch all mixed together. we have no heater or air filter will they survive with out these?

can anyone help me really new to all this....

I am definatly no expert ..but mine hatched around 2 weeks ago ..they are most likley still eating their yolk sacs this will last around 3 days then you can feed them ..how many fry do you have ? .I feed mine twicw a day I only have 5 and I still have left overs ...this is all new to me too ...I moved the dead eggs out with a turkey baister..but be carful not to to suck up fry ...my tank sits at room temp .72...for my fry and they seem to be thriving ..mine were in a bucket for the first week and ahalf of their life I just now moved them to a 10g tank with filter with a sponge over the intake of course so they sucked up ..their are better more experienced peeps here than I they will get to the nitty griity with you ..good luck and congrats !!!!!

Edited by hi-d

Welcome to kokos ( and to goldfish eggs and fry!) Alfie.

There is a whole bundle of info you should maybe read up on in this forum on what to do now you have found eggs.

You will have to get the bad eggs out with a syringe or turkey blaster asap as fungus that attaches to those spreads fast to the good eggs.

As Heidi above says, the first few days the fry do not need feeding. They will not eat it. They must re-absorb their egg yolk and their sole objective in life is not to eat but to manage the long climb up the tank sides to the top of the water where they will be able to fill their air sacs with air. This is part of the formation of their inner organs that is crucial at the beginning. Weak fry who do not make it to the top will not survive. It is a good idea to have the water level low because of this. Most people suggest 5 or 6 inches is deep enough for fry.

When the fry begin to swim freely- zooming around the tank, this is when you will need to start feeding. The best food for best health and growth is baby brine shrimp and if you can hatch these yourself for them, even better!

You will need a sponge filter (no heater should be okay). The filter must be extremely gentle as fry are killed by strong current and will be sucked into regular heaters like pieces of food and debris are.

Fry are very sensitive to water quality. Ammonia even at trace levels will kill fry- as will decaying food that produces bacteria and toxins. Fry must be raised in a cycled or seeded tank.

If you have any other Q's feel free to ask away. And Congratulations on your new babies :exactly !!!!!