Need Help With Eggs

Guest alfie2110

Guest alfie2110

hi

can anyone help me out,

i have just had eggs 2 days ago and i have put them into a seperate tank, not sure what to do next.

had eggs about 11 days ago but they have all died except 4-6 of them let them feed of the egg sack for 2 days then gave them liqufeed.

just wondering is there anything else i can do with the eggs that havent hatched yet, to try to rare them

i have never done this before and they wernt expected the fish that had them are 6 years old just beloved pets.

Hi - and welcom to Koko's. :)

First - I am going to move this to "breeding" where you may get more attention for this.

SEcond: Are the eggs fertile? Eggs hatch within a few days of fertilization - and they need to be fertilized as they are being dropped by the female fish. Temperature of the water is the BIG think with hatching. At 70-71 F, eggs will hatch in approximately 4 days. Cooler 69-70F will lengthen this to 5 to maybe 6 days. Warmer - 72-74 will take it to 3 days. Too much longer than 5-6 days and the eggs will usually go to fungus and not hatch. Too much warmer than about 74 and they will hatch too soon - and the fry that emerge will not be properly developed - and many will be too weak to live.

As the eggs are dropped, several things happen. The fish produce a LOT of waste into the water - both the male and female fish. You should test your water ASAP and change out what you need to change to get the water parameters back into line. The other fish in the tank will gut themselves on eggs -eating everything they can get - and because of the high protien in the eggs, will release lots of extra waste in the tank. So test your water tomorrow, too.

Moving the eggs to a different place is a good idea. IF they are stuck on grass or deco, simply put the grass in a different tank. Raise the water level to between 4-6 inches deep and put in a heater to keep the water at a steady 70F. Add in a gently bubbling air stone and you are set. I also add in Methlene Blue - until the water looks about like Windex blue. This keeps the fungus that ineveitably comes on the non-fertile eggs from taking fertile ones.

In about 4 days,you will see the tiny fry stuck all over the tank's sides. This is the time to worry about feeding them. The cleanest and best way to feed them is with live food. If you wish, frozen baby brine shrimp cubes can be bought in a fish store - and fed with the minimum of waste and the best growth. You do not need to feed the fry until they are swimming freely and horizontally - about 2 days after hatch. Feed often and well and you are well on your way to growing new goldfish!

:)

Guest alfie2110

ok thanks

can i feed them baby brine shrimp when they start to swim or is the liquidfeed better for the first few days and should i take everything out of the tank or leave the plants in with the babys

I usually leave the plants in. The plastic plants grow a nice coating of green algae - food for growing fry to nibble on anytime. They like to hide in them, too.

I feed freshly hatched Baby Brine Shrimp - SanFrancisco strain - from the first day of feeding. It seems to produce less waste and better growth. I feed every 2 hours except for dark hours.

You should give some thought to adding a sponge filter running in the tank - I usually place it BEFORE hatching - so it can start to "season". Change out as much water as you can NOW, before they hatch, for you will not easily be able to change water for at least 1-2 weeks following hatching and the excess stuff from the eggs will foul the water.