I Have Fry All Over My Tank!

stubadub

I went away for business for a few days and now there are fry all over the sides of my tank!!! This would be there 3rd spawning this year. Can anyone tell me how to keep them in the same tank as my fish? Could I get a spearator for the tank? I would like to keep them but there are atleast 50 attached to the sides.

I do not think you will be able to keep them in the same tank as the adults, unless you can find a divider thathas a fine enough mesh that the little guys cannot get through it. As soon as they are big enough for the adults to see them, they will eat them.

Fry left in the pond with the adults will have a certain proportion of them live, mainly because there are so many hiding places. Because of the algae and bugs and other things available in the pond, the fry find food and some will thrive.

In a tank, there is limited food for fry - and limited hiding spots. If you do separate the fry from the adults, you need to realize that you have to feed the fry - separately and with special food - and many times a day.

Congratulations!!!! :)

:exactly

It wouldn't be possible to raise fry in a tank with adult fish for the reasons above and another. The filtration needed for adult or larger goldfish is way too strong for fry. They are sucked in so easily. They need a sponge filter.

Occasionally you can find a few fry that have survived for a few weeks on algae in the tank but algae alone cannot provide them with all they need and fry look and smell exactly like food to the larger fish :(

I have never heard of fry being raised in the same tank as their parents successfully.

It isn't difficult to set up a second seeded tank with their own sponge filter though and caring for them separately is a lot of fun! Congrats :D