Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dranix

Aggressive Koi-need Advice

Guest Dranix

Hey,

Just a few days ago, I had bought myself my first Koi with some birthday money, he's about 3-4" in length. I also bought a couple small comets. I put them in my 35 gallon tank with the other couple goldfish I have, all comets except one fantail(I know alot say that a 35 gallon isn't alot of space, but whenever I look at the fish, I see alot of empty space, and I still count for when the fish will be grown.). I named the new Koi Draco, and the day after getting him, I noticed my oldest Comet(roughly 4 years old), Carrot-top, was swimming around with a torn up bit of tailfin. I got worried, and sat by the tank watching them for a while, and it seems that Draco follows Carrot-top around alot, and I've seen him take small nibbling attempts to the tail. I wasn't sure what to do, I felt kinda helpless, so I put in a bit of aquarium salt incase it helped to heal up the injury. But the next few days, and even now, his fin is only getting a bit worse everytime I see it. I'm getting worried for him, and getting mad at Draco, and though I don't want to, I know that I'll take Draco back if this continues.

Could anyone tell me why Draco might be acting this way? Is it territorial? Are some Koi just naturally agressive in personality? Is there any way to fix it without bringing him back, I'd still prefer to put my tank at Peace again without bringing back the new family member. Any help is appreciated.

-Dranix

I am very sorry to tell you that koi are not tank fish and will behave like this because they are pond fish. I suggest you take your koi back to the store or find a home for him in a pond asap as the situation is not going to improve. All your fish will suffer and disease will set in immediately, sounds like it is already with the finrot. It is urgent that you find a new home for the koi, your tank is already overstocked with 2 comets.

Guest Melodium

I have to agree with Trinket whole-heartedly. Koi are not tank fish, and if they were capable of being tank fish, you would need something for just them that is 500 gallons (and even then you would be going against a breeder's suggested 1,000 gallons. Your best bet would be to give the koi to someone who has a pond, and who will keep it in a pond for it's an entire life.

I suggest putting an ad on Craigslist. But whatever you do, I would say try your best not to take it back to the store. Find a loving home for it.

But remember to emphasize that space is needed for the little fellow. It may look small now, but believe me... 3-4 inch koi turn into 2 footers in no time. Seriously, they grow like weeds.

Good luck!

Think about it from a fish's perspective. It may seem like 10 gallons per fish is a lot of excess room to you, but imagine sharing a bedroom with a few other people and none of you are allowed to leave. Yes, you have room to move, but you'll get bored and irritable with the people sharing the space with you. That's what it's like for fish when they don't have all that free space to swim, they can get sick and stressed or they can get cranky and nip at each other (like your koi). And now think about having several fast-swimming 8-10 inch comets and an even larger koi in your tank. I did the same thing at first, keeping several goldfish in too small of a tank, and all of my fish died rather quickly.

I really hope you can work something out with your fish, either getting a pond/bigger tank or finding some of them new homes. Good luck!

I have several koi in my tanks and the only time I have one chasing another fish be it comet or koi is when one of the fish is a female and the koi is trying to be sexy for the girl and chase her. If you have more than one tank you may want to move the koi for a while as this behavior usually stops after a while. I've had to move some of my koi before for the same reason. Good luck.

Carrie

You can over winter koi in a tank but it has to bloody big they need a water volume of at least 1000gals. Having a koi in a tank as small as a 35gal is murder.

If you wish to keep this koi maybe you could invest in a large storage container such as a rubbermaid that way the koi and the other commons can go in there.

Guest Dranix

Thank you for all your help so far guys, it looks like the best thing is to find another home for the Koi. I tried having a pond once, but we weren't very successful, plus, I'd be worried about my fish freezing in the winter, and here in new brunswick, we get bad/long winters. I'll work on finding a new home, though I don't know how many people in my area with a pond...wait, I mgiht know one. Thanks.

But also, I know a 35 gallon is pretty small, though I've had half of the fish in my tank for at minimum 2 years, some more. So besides the Koi, I think I've been doing okay with my babies.

-thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it.

ur tank is big enough for only 1 comet, or a comet and the fantail.u might wanna find new homes for all other as it sounds like they r already quite stunted...good luck with them

I have people on other boards who over winter and raise some koi in aquariums. Even then it is a neccessary for 20% water changes a day. Koi are practically identical to a goldfish while at small sizes which does not last long. Although there is generally a little more poop for some reason in my expeirence lol. I know of people who have kept 3 of your size in a 10 gal but this was only for short time. I will admit I am a victim of this to, but the two baby koi I have right now in a tank are enduring 30-50% water changes almost every day and a cleaning of the filter every other day. Plus they are only in there for about a month or until my pond water hits 52. In yours and my case our tanks are overstocked, but I reccomend finding a larger space for atleast the koi in your case as he will grow on average an inch every two months, due to being a mutt and being a baby.

Edited by Blondhairboi

I have people on other boards who over winter and raise some koi in aquariums. Even then it is a neccessary for 20% water changes a day. Koi are practically identical to a goldfish while at small sizes which does not last long. Although there is generally a little more poop for some reason in my expeirence lol. I know of people who have kept 3 of your size in a 10 gal but this was only for short time. I will admit I am a victim of this to, but the two baby koi I have right now in a tank are enduring 30-50% water changes almost every day and a cleaning of the filter every other day. Plus they are only in there for about a month or until my pond water hits 52. In yours and my case our tanks are overstocked, but I reccomend finding a larger space for atleast the koi in your case as he will grow on average an inch every two months, due to being a mutt and being a baby.

Koi can be kept in a small tank (35 is small) and dogs can be kept in a crate all the time. They will survive, but it is not in their best interest to keep them that way! I overwintered a koi in a 75 gallon with goldies. It was a longfin and they don't grow as quickly and it is no longer in the tank!!