Tank Smell?

Okay, today I am posting about my smaller tank at work. It is a 20 gallon with two tiny fish in it (oranda and black moor). It has a Aqua Clear 50 filter and a Hydro Sponge III filter. It has been set up for nearly 4 weeks. I don't have an extra test kit at work, so I have been changing 50% water daily on the assumption that I still have ammonia and nitrites.

The tank is in my reception room, which is quite small and tends to be warmer and more humid than the rest of the office. I have been noticing a distinct "tank smell" in there the past few days. The filter has a activated carbon bag in it (in an effort to address the smell). Under normal circumstances I don't think that the smell would be that bad or strong -- it is just that the tank is in a small room and that room is the first impression that my patients get of a health care provider's office (therefore any smell is a problem).

Any pointers on dealing with this situation? I don't think that I am having a bacterial bloom because the water is perfectly clear. I am using AmQuel+ as my water conditioner, which is probably not helping the smell situation. Is there another additive that I could use that would work better?

I don't believe that Prime has the same strong smell that AmQuel does. Once the tank is cycled, Prime should be basically the same as an AmQuel+/NovAqua+ combo.

Some people have said that leaving the tank top off or open actually improves the smell because the tank gets more fresh air. Could be worth a shot.

I'm having the same problem with my QT tub actually, reeeeeeally funky smell..... Near's 20 gals was always a bit whiffy but keeping the window open was enough to sort that - combined with Zen's tub my room is starting to ming a little.

I think I'm going to try keeping the lid off and just covering with a towel as fredct suggests.

Kristen do you have windows in your reception room? Maybe you could leave these open? I guess it would be difficult for you to keep the lid off because then someone could come along and bash you for 'health and safety'. Maybe when the office is closed you could leave the lid off with a towel over it?

My tank had started smelling funny once turns out i forgot to put the lid on the prime and the sulfur smell was stinking out the room lol.

What are your water params?

Is there any way you can describe the smell? Is it a fishy smell, or a more plant like smell, or something different?

Dunno about Kristen but mine is just a very strong smell of the conditioner I use. Not nice, to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently started using Amquel+ and have noticed a *ahem* "whiff"... a "brown" smell, (tries his best to not offend) is this normal....?

It's only been noticeable since using the Amquel+ and it's emanating from the filter, not the tank... anyone else ever experience this and if so does it last... to add, the filter is housed in the stand so the small "cupboard" is a small enclosed space so the pong is really bad to smell it in the room generally.

I have stood the filter on blocks so that there is air-flow around the unit, but gee whizz! It's putting me off sitting here typing this!!!

Please help, my housemates think I'm leaving food to rot in here!

I am also using AmQuel+, but the odor seems to have resolved now that my tank is cycled. I have noticed that some bottles of AmQuel+ smell more strongly than others -- not sure why this is?

Here's to cycling! Stress, anxiety, endless hard work and now embarrasing odour problems...

At least my cycles developing I suppose... oh for the day when there isn't a bucket or five sitting out waiting to be emptied/refilled/emptied/refilled