Sign in to follow this  
TamtheLittleBlackMoor

Eggs In My Tank!

Goodness. Just about an hour ago my Moors spawned. The males have been showing their turbicles and following the female but NEVER have they spawned before. Tomorrow is their scheduled 25% water change too. The back has gotten a terrible amount of brown algae which needs a scrub down butI've been neglecting it. Well looks like that's out of the question. How does this work? Some are clear and some are opaque (fertallized I'm guessing). Do I have to move them into my quarantine tank or leave them in there untill they hatch/develop? Do I need to purchase any special baby food for them? How long is the egg-to-fish cycle? Should I use a sponge filter as opposed to the power filter I currently have? Please help get me on the right direction, it'd be extremely appreciated. Really unprepared for this...

STATS:

55 gallon

Bare to minimal substrate (large river rocks with smaller stones.)

350 Penguin Bio-wheel (Running for a good 2 years now.)

Using Amquel+ to condition water

Kent Freshwater Ph Stable

Aquarium salt and copper safe are added every month in proper amounts. (Had an anchor worm breakout a few months ago and still getting rid of the last ones.)

Ph - 7

NO2 - <0.3

NH3/NH4+ - 0

INHABITANTS:

Dragon Moor (F) - 6 inches

Black Moor (M) - 5 inches

Black Moor (M Butterfly) - 5 inches

Suspected Parents

IMG_0035-2.jpg

Eggs

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

ooh how exciting!!! :krazy:

congratulations!! :D

i hope all goes well and we see baby fry soon! :heart:heart:heart

Yes, congrats indeed :D I'm going to move this to the breeding forum for you as you'll be able to get specific guidance and answers to your Qs from over there.

Woo! How exciting. Happened to me unexpectedly a few months ago - http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=66328

There are lots of fry diaries on here that were very helpful. Me personally, as soon as I saw eggs I put the adults in a bucket and got the eggs out as carefully as I could with a net and put them in another container with tank water in it. Most of the 100 or so I got out hatched and I think the key to that was constant warmth - I had them near a heater 24/7.

Lots of help here anyway.

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll take a look around this section.

Guest Gerbie

Your dragon moor looks gorgeous, I haven't heard of one of those yet!! Do you have "moor"(lol I crack myself up) pics of her? I would love to see them!

Gerbi - I do have more, I'll post them up in the pictures section. :)

It's official! They have FRY! Roughly 50+.

Not the best shot, but they are the closest to the camera after feeding.

IMG_0001-3.jpg

They seem to be active, swimming around and hanging off the sides and plant. Siphoned and fed them today.

I'm noticing that some have bent spines, not severe but enough to bother them, is it too early to cull or is now the time?

EDIT: (They're 2 days old)

Edited by TamtheLittleBlackMoor

Congrats on the hatching. That is awesome :D . I should wait to cull until you can see exactly what you have at about one month. Many fry with genetic defects and in fact a large percentage of tank raised fry will die off on their own in the first 3 -4 weeks.

One thing you do need to do is move the fry to their own cycled/seeded tank with their own gentle sponge filter. Fry are easily sucked into regular filters in adult fish tanks and are also quickly gobbled up I'm afraid to say by their parents.

Use some cycled media to seed a sponge filter and transfer the fry very carefully in a small dixie cup avoiding any splash which at this size can bend backs.

They will fare much better in their own space and you can also monitor feeding much better.

They will fare much better in their own space and you can also monitor feeding much better.

Thanks Trinket. Already did that when they were eggs. At the moment they get frozen brine shrimp and mushed up Hikari pellets (goldfish formulated with spirulina, when mushed it's a super fine particle 'cloud' which, I've noticed, they tend to go after more then the Liquifry.) They're feed 3 times a day and always seem like hungry little buggers. :rolleyes:

Now that they're close to 5 days old they are much bigger! And there seem to be more of them.

UPDATES:

Fry are doing extremely well. Eating frozen brine shrimp/mushed pellet mixture. Very active!

5 days old:

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0014-1.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

It's rather hard to get an extreme close up shot because of my camera's pixels.

Guest Gerbie

Love the pics! They look like they are growing well. I'm excited to see what these guys end up looking like!

UPDATE:

Removed the plastic plant and stuck it back in my 55 where it came from, but, added some mossballs to the fry tank. Fry are close to 10 days old and still growing!

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0015-2.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

They're so amazingly cute! Sometimes I find myself watching them for hours on end. :heart

Such adorable little things, and healthy looking! I bet they love munching on those mossballs. Any guesstimate on how many there are?

wow! :hi5 this is so great!! congrats! :goodluck

They are so cute! I'm so jealous; my fish decided not to spawn. You're doing a wonderful job--- keep us updated with those pics!!

I bet they love munching on those mossballs. Any guesstimate on how many there are?

They LOVE the mossballs, I was so excited when I saw that we carry them at work. Gosh, there must be more then my original guess of 50, maybe closer to 70-80?

Thanks guys! First time this has ever happened with goldfish and so far it's been an exciting experience. Also, I should throw this out, Koko's GW members have first priority on these guys, otherwise the only other option is bring them to work and they can sell them. I'd rather not, seeing as not many people come in who are DEVOTED to goldfish. NO way will my babies be in bowls (we would NEVER sell anyone fish for a bowl unless it was a betta), or anything less than 10 gallons a piece... :unsure:

Thanks guys! First time this has ever happened with goldfish and so far it's been an exciting experience. Also, I should throw this out, Koko's GW members have first priority on these guys, otherwise the only other option is bring them to work and they can sell them. I'd rather not, seeing as not many people come in who are DEVOTED to goldfish. NO way will my babies be in bowls (we would NEVER sell anyone fish for a bowl unless it was a betta), or anything less than 10 gallons a piece... :unsure:

I want one!!!

Guest Gerbie

I would love to get one or two of those guys, I know they are going to turn out really beautiful! I was thinking of starting a moor/telescope tank. It's kind of cool though that you can sell them where you work to kind of better insure that they all go to nice homes, and you can continue to keep an eye on them while they're in the store. Good luck with them!

Edited by Gerbie

UPDATE:

Fry are now 2 weeks old!

IMG_0001-5.jpg

And I figured out YouTube so you can check their video out

Edited by TamtheLittleBlackMoor

Guest Gerbie

They're soo cute! They all look like they're growing really well too! Keep up the great work!

UPDATE:

Moved from 5.5 gal to 10 gal, added 50% more water. Still heated to 73*F. All size ranges, largest close to .5 inches, smallest well, small. Lost a few. Down to about maybe 50 - 60? Majority are fan tails, leaning towards broad tails, noticed at least two single tailed fry. Eating well, active and alert.

IMG_0003-1.jpg

IMG_0004-2.jpg

IMG_0005-4.jpg

IMG_0018-2.jpg

IMG_0017-1.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022-1.jpg

Parents spawned...again. Not going to pursue raising those fry, don't have time. What's the youngest age/ best size you can ship fry at? I've got an internship that requires me to move clear across from CA to FL by Mid June and I know a few people were interested in these fry and I'd really like to get them into good homes but time is fleeting. I'm doing my best to fatten and healthify these fry so I can ship them out come June.