Sign in to follow this  
Guest DoodleBug

What's The Longest You've Had A Goldie & What Kind Was It?

Guest DoodleBug

What's the longest you've had a goldie & what kind was it? And how long do your goldfish typically live?

I'm just curious. :hummm I've been keeping goldfish for 2 years now. I try to keep a clean, uncrowded tank and watch the water quality as best I know how. But in spite of my best efforts, I'd say the average life span of my fish has probably been a year. I do have one fish (Diamond) that has been with me from the beginning, but the others have come and gone. The insulting part is, I have a coworker who has had a goldfish several years inspite of not monitoring the water quality or doing regular water changes. (I've tried to teach her about what I've learned here and even given her some of my testing strips, but she just isn't concerned.) I'm thinking it must have something to do with the kinds of fish we keep. Hers is a comet and I keep fancy goldies. I know that the large bellies of the fancies make them more likely to have problems.

I know that goldfish are supposed to be fairly long living fish, so I was curious to find out what kind of success others typically have in keeping them in home aquariums. Is my experience typical, or is there something about their care that I'm still missing? I can't imagine what it would be....I've certainly done my share of reading on Koko's!

It seems like some goldies are just more hardy than others. When I was a kid and knew nothing about proper fish care, I kept a common alive for 7 years, yet in the past few years I've had fancies die after just a year or two. I think a lot of it has to do with genetics, etc.

As for fancies, I had a moore who lived (also through some bad conditions before I knew better) for about 6 years, and the only reason he died was a pH crash. Actually, he's the guy in my avatar :)

When I didnt know better about goldies, I had 2 commons kept in a big bowl for 4 years! I would do daily water change but over time they both fell ill and passed away. =(

Then there's my fantail girl Stampede that recently passed away, she resided in a 30 gallons and has kept me company for 2 years. Not a whole lot, I know. I was expecting her to live a longer life but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. =(

My oldest fish are three comets. They were kept overcrowded tanks before i knew anything about goldfish and lived for 5-6 years (still alive today in my pond). :D

I have 2 commons and a comet that are 4yrs 9 months old plus another comet that is 4 yrs 3 months old. It still amazes me how long they have lived so far and how big they have gotten considering they came from my local nnnnnnn

The goldfish I have the longest is Bob, a fantail/ryukin mix that I got 2-1/2 years ago when I first started keeping fish. I had other fancies that did not survive past a year. I do believe that genetics play a major part in this. Right now, besides Bob, I also have a ranchu that I got a little over a year ago and another fantail that I got 3 months ago.

My oldest was Coco my oranda who lived to be 10 years old. I have two 2 year olds, two 1 year olds and 1 unknown, but possibly 3. My loaches are 4 in June.

I am still a newbie @ goldies so my oldest is Fiona who is probably 2-2/2 years old.

My son's red tail shark has been with us for over 7 years...

Well right now I'm still proud of the one month mark :unsure:

But hey, I'm getting better at it....

I've had Shadow my black moor the longest...for about a year. I have never lost a single tailed goldfish, unless u count cap...he was a wakin so kinda a mix i guess lol. I've lost 4 fancies i think....so the single tailed varieties do seem to b more disease resistant.

I got Big Boy on 11/7/04 & Buster on 12/3/05, Yin & Toby on 9/06 (I STILL have their receipts...I use them as "birth certificates")!! Patch, Hershey & Cocoa 3/06......they were from Sorsha's "famous" documented babies!!

Edited by Jeana727

I have had one goldfish that died a few months ago. Unfortunatly he died of swim bladder at only 6 months. I still don't know what happened but I think it might have been because my nitrates were too high.

My current goldie is 3 months since I got him so I'm hoping for a long life for him.

My oldest was my dearest Pharoh. He lived to a good age of 9 years old and 9" long. He was a Choco Oranda a didnt like to be touched or his tank messed with, I would get a face of water every time I did a water change. Hes way of telling me not to mess with him or his girlfriends :lol2

phfi2.jpg

Oh, yes dear Pharoh...

My oldest/biggest fish is Angus, a red comet, he is 4 years old.

I hope he will stay with me for many years.

The rest of my fish are from 3 years to a few months old...

I have never had a fish as old as Angus before.

Guest DoodleBug

It sounds like the commons and comets are by far the easiest to keep, and I'm not the only one having some difficulty with the fancy goldfish. But at least a couple of you have been successful in keeping your orandas alive for quite a long while. I think the oranda's are probably my favorite fish...I just love their cute, pouty little faces! But I also seem to have the most trouble with them, and the pearlscales. It's kinda nice to know that I'm not alone in having problems with the fancies, but there is hope that I'll be able to keep some of my fish around for a while.

I have one of my original pair of comets that will be 6 years old this year. The other one died last year. :(

Guest Kelsta

Miraculously, my three fantails survived cycling, (Not done properly at all! I was clueless and just dumped them all in at once along with 9 WCMM and three suckers!!) and nitrite and ammonia spikes for several weeks before I realised what was wrong! And even a house move. I am certainly lucky they are such troopers! Had them for almost a year now.

So far I've got a shubunkin and a fan tail both going on seven years. This has been the longest experience for me. Most of my others are between one and five years.

Carrie

When I was younger I had a shubie for about 9 years. He was in a 2 gal bowl the whole time I had him and he was never sick a day in his life. He only died after I hadn't done a water change for a long time and then changed 100% of the water like always--too much shock I think.

Since I found koko's and keep gf in big filtered tanks the longest I had was a common for about a year. Now I have another common who's coming up to a year so hopefully he'll pass that milestone!

i've had wizz'et for about 8 years she's a common, she lived for 5 years in a 10gal then after her having some trouble, i found koko's (thank god)

her problem was she had out grown her tank so i got a 30gal sortly after joining.

now she's living in a 35gal with a comet Chill he's about 3. and rimer a small baby comet who's a rescue... saying that so was chill wizzet would be on her own other wise but they'er all so happy :)

yes i'm over stocked and doing constant water changes to keep on top, but so far so good no disasters for about 3yr

Guest Sangreaal

My eldest Sarassa is 13 years old, and Madge keeps her makeup perfect, just like she did in her younger years. *S* She's a plump 8 inches of cherry and white glory and has produced thousands and thousands of fry. Spot, my other top producing Sarassa and daughter to Madge is almost 12 years old, and she still wears her bright red cherry spot on the front of her snow white shoulders. She too has produced thousands of fry and amazingly almost half of each of her spawns are white with a red tancho, even though I've bred her with red and white or benigoi males. They never cease to amaze me and I hope they last as long as I do.

Marie

As a child I got a very small (about 1/4" without the tail) fantail when I was about 7. She lived in a 2 gallon flat bowl (lots of surface area) with gravel and small oriental building decorations. As she grew I started removing the buildings to give her room. By the time she was 5 she only had the gravel and by the time she was 7 we had removed 1/2 of the gravel and by her 10th bday it was just her and the bowl. When she was young the water conditions were appauling. If she was lucky the water was changed every two weeks and the bowl was CLEANED once a month (Remember this was before the day of the internet and the fish was free from the petstore on your b-day) Sadly she died when I took her to college with me when I was turning 19. She survived a LOT in her almost 12 years in that 2 gallon bowl. We had moved her into a standard "Goldfish bowl" once but she flipped and we returned her to her flat bowl instantly and she was fine. I think she was not able to handle the deeper water that the regular GF bowl provided or the surface area of that bowl was not sufficient to what she had become accustomed to.

20+ years later I am back to keeping Goldfish....... Nov I got 2 fantails (one is now gone), Jan added 1 oranda and 1 moore, Feb added 1 pearlscale (died within 48 hours of bringing home) and 1 ryukin (lost his tail in a filter accident but is healing nicely). I am hoping these fish will live a longer life than the fish I had as a child. If not longer at least better than what I provided her (that is my goal).

Im going on 4 years with my black moor Sketti. He was living in a 1 gallon bowl for almost 6 months, then a 5 gallon for 6 months, then a 20 gallon and now hes sharing a 40 gallon with my other two fancys Frida Khalo and Pompe Magnus. Frida is close to 3 years and Pompe is hitting 1 1/2.

Guest Melodium

Okay, I probably cheated... (Actually, I did cheat) but my oldest fish that I just got (came with a 50 gallon tank as freebies) are about 1 and 1/2- 2 years old. Beaver, my telescope is the oldest one, and definitely the largest.

However, of my own fish that I have (which I've purchased and kept for most of their lives) it would have to be Da Vinci. I've had him in my care for 1 month and a day. He survived a huge ammonia spike while none of my original fish did. He's been such a trooper and is currently heading towards being 3 and a half inches long.

:wub: