Sign in to follow this  
Sushi67

Getting Back Into Breeding....

Yeah. I've decided to breed once again(this summer at the soonest).

This time I'll be setting up different types of ponds out in the side yard. Last year I just used kiddie pools but this time I think I will get 5 or so round ones and one 30+ gallon grow out pond. I intend to start with just purple coppers and if all starts going well for a few months I will purchase some koi breeders. However, which type would you like to see me work with? Crowntail or halfmoon?

Halfmoon!

You will need much bigger tanks for koi (and NETS!)

Wrong koi.

Koi bettas are red and white marble.Very hard to get a hold of.

Halfmoon i like there appearance but it really depends on what you want after all you are the expert :D

congrats Sushi. I hope things work out for you. one of my breeder freinds used to raise fry outside like that with kiddie pools

Have you decided what you are going to breed sushi?

I think I will breed halfmoons and plakat kois, but its not set in stone yet.

plakat kois

Those will be gorgeous! It's been a long time since I've bred plakats, they're a very under represented betta type to the general public. Go for it!

Hmm, I haven't forgotten about this, but I haven't come across good stock yet and no breeders I've talked to are planning on koi bettas. I'm hoping to breed this summer and autumn, but I was also hoping on doing a few more monitor rescues, which eat up my money and the room where the spawning pools would go.

I've come across lots of purple coppers but too many of them carry red on the body and ventral fin. I'm sure I'll fine some nice ones though, just got to do more searching.