Filter

Fefe

Dear All,

Its been about 1 Year that i cleaned my external filter 900 Ltr per hour...its not giving any problem of flow....should i clean all the media or leave it like this?

another question what are the symtoms of dropsy other then popeye and pine coning?

Love

Rafaqat

Dropsy itself is not a disease but a symptom of something else. It can be brought on by a number of factors including changes in temperature, bacterial, parasites, stress, poor water quality or poor diet.

The fish may become listless, lose interest in food, generally off colour, reddening of the belly and their eyes can become sunken.

I rinse the filtermaterial once a month, the tubing and stuff every 2-3 months, else some filters (like the internal ones) get a bit noisy due to the nasty white/yellow stuff that is deposited in the tubing.

but why do yoiu need to clean it?....i mean cleaning will break the cycle and also the healthy bectaria will die if you clean it...if you dotnt have any problem in Flow... i think 1 should avoid cleaning it.

but why do yoiu need to clean it?....i mean cleaning will break the cycle and also the healthy bectaria will die if you clean it...if you dotnt have any problem in Flow... i think 1 should avoid cleaning it.

I clean it to prevent clogging, and with cleaning I mean rinse the filtermedia a bit in old tankwater. When you do it you can see that some stuff comes out of it like uneaten food, small pieces of plant. This gentle rinsing normally does not affect the cycle as you do not harm the good bacteria.

I do it as a precousion to make sure my filter does not get clogged up and I do not get an overload of 'bad bugs' in the filter. One of my goldies is a bit sensitive to SBD.

Since I do not have chlorine in my tap water (well), I take out the cartridges from my filters and blast them clean under a hard spray nozzle in the utility sink each and every time I clean the tank - approximately once every 5-6 days. When a tank is having problems of any nature - or is overstocked - I often clean the cartridges every day.

When cycling - all that extra waste that is sitting on the cartridges is just going to be more ammonia or nitrite you do not need to deal with. If you are having nitrate difficulties, that is just extra nitrate that will never appear in your tank.

Once a month or so, I will take the hard media from the filter (clamshells, baskets) and rinse them out really well in used fish water. Sponges get squeezed out each water change - particularly the sponge filters used for fry. Baggies of media are rinsed and banged out at each water change. Cannisters should be opened at least once a month and the floss cleaned or replaced and the muck from the bottom of the filter container emptied and the media rinsed. HOB filter boxes should be emptied and rinsed at least once a month. You would be suprised at how much muck can collect in the bottom of one of those!!!

Hoses and such generally get cleaned once every 6 months if all is good - and more often if it is not. If you restart a filter and gunk comes out from being loosened from the inside of a hose - it needs cleaning.

More disease and parasites have caused problems in tanks with filters that are not properly kept up than you would ever believe. A healthy, clean system is best. All that mulm and muck can be digested by the biological cycle (well....most of it), but there is no reason to make it do it. Clean it. You can eliminate dormant parasites and bacteria.... as well as keep your cycle healthy and strong and the filter working at peak efficiancy.

Daryl, when I clean out my filter (every other wc) some of the gunk gets knocked down into the tank and my fishies eat it. It won't hurt them will it? That seems to be their favorite part of a wc.

Daryl, when I clean out my filter (every other wc) some of the gunk gets knocked down into the tank and my fishies eat it. It won't hurt them will it? That seems to be their favorite part of a wc.

My guys eat this too...so Daryl is it harmful..

And how would I prevent them from eating it?

It is a kind of scummy algae. It will not hurt them, particularly. I usually clean my cannister while the other filters are running. When I restart it, that gunk can blow out of the tubes.... since I clean often there is the minimal gunk. I then just vacumn it up. It is usually in large clunks and is easy to suck out quickly.

Sometimes, when I know a line is really awful, I will just prime the cannister into a waste bucket - blowing all that stuff into the waste water. Or, one time I even banded a filter bag on the bottom of the outlet and started it. The baggie caught all the gunk and the tank was ready for my guests to see ASAP.