Do Snails Need To Be Quarantined?

Acupunk

I would really like to add a golden apple snail to my goldfish tank, but don't have quarantine facilities and would hate to introduce something bad to my fish via a new snail. What is standard procedure? Also, will a small snail contribute significantly to my ammonia/nitrite load? I am midway through cycling my tank and don't want to cause problems. Also, my tank is currently salted to 0.1% (to protect my fish against nitrite) -- would that bother a snail?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I had my snail in with my gf for awhile but decided to move him to a spearate tank for a few reasons. First off, snails do poop a lot (at least as much as gf) and would definitely contribute to your ammonia/nitrite load (if you got one I would wait until after you were cycled for sure). Also they are sensitive to salt and many of the other fish meds that are out there. Snails are great (I have 3 now since they had babies :D ) but I would think about whether you want one in your gf tank.

Good luck!

I would quarenteen the snail for a few days if you get one...they don't get diseases that fish can catch but they can carry things like ich and other paracites and pass them on to your fish. Salt in any amount is a no no with snails, they are very sensitive to it. If you do decided to get a snail have a back up plan ready in case your goldie decides the snail tastes good. Every goldie is different....neither of my two bother my snails, but I've heard horror stories.

Archived