Black Moor Mold

Guest euphoniumqueen

Guest euphoniumqueen

*I don't have any way to check the levels of my tank

*5 gal. running for 6-9mths

*Aqua-Tech EZ Change #5 Filter(came with tank and is changed often)

*I do a full tank change ever 2-4 weeks

*3 fish: 1 moor about 2-inches long, 1 goldfish a little smaller than the moor but not by much, 1 algae eater about 4-inches long.

*I use stress coat, but that's it.

*no meds.

*added goldfish yesterday(Wed 3/26)

*Wardley Essentials Tropical Fish Flakes---daily, Hikari Tropical Algae Wafers---very rarely

*mold-puffy looking on side of fish, smudgey looking-like when you scrap your watch-face on a white wall--on his eye

*stays at the bottom more than usual

I have had the moors for almost exactly a year-got them for Easter last year to keep in my dorm room. Monday, the fat died--I came back from Easter weekend and he was white, upside down in the back of the tank where the bubbles come up and he wasn't breathing. I thought he was dead, but couldn't see him very well, so I moved him to the front of the tank, where he sat on the bottom breathing shallowly until he died that evening.

Henry, the other moor, seemed quite distraught at losing his life-long companion, so I got him the goldfish yesterday(Wednesday). They like each other fine, Henry seems quite happy, except for this mold. He also has taken to lying in the spot that used to be Roy's(because Roy spend all of his time on the bottom of the tank). I'm extremely concerned for my fish and don't know what to do. I cleaned the tank before I put the new fish in yesterday so that if something was really wrong with Roy, it wouldn't spead. Hopefully this didn't backfire.

Help!

Euphoniumqueen

Guest euphoniumqueen

By the way, I know about the 20-gals per moor thing, but if they have been in this tank for 6months, why would the signs just now show up?

Guest iaedyene

Did you happen to quarentine the new fish? There's a good chance he brought Henry some not so good "goodies" from the fish store. I'm still learning this stuff and I'm sure one of the folks much more experienced will be able to shed more light. Also the stress of having a new fish in the tank could have caused it.

Do you happen to have a rubbermaid tub or something you can move them too because the moor needs 10 gal per fish the common needs 20 gal per fish. Not even taking into account the 4 inch algee eater. Putting them in the tub to live will be much healthier than that tiny 5 gal. And doing water changes once every 2-4 weeks is letting the ammonia levels prob skyrocket. With that size and that amount of fish prob every day or every other day is going to be needed to keep them in healthy water.

Good luck hon, you've taken a great step to come here to ask. I'm sure one of the Guardian Angels (that's what I like to call em cause if it wasn't for them my Odin would be dead today) will be by soon to address your post.

Edited by iaedyene

first of all the fish will be stressed out in a tight space...they might be fine when they are small but as they get older they out grow their space ... the bigger the fish the more waste they produce ..so then the ratio of water and the ammonia or nitrate is being changed and is toxic to goldfish..

when a fish starts to bottom sit...it indicates a problem already... without the readings of the levels of ur tank..its hard to define whats going on...

for a start u should go and buy some test kits...

Guest iaedyene

Yep another thing you can do is take a sample of your water to your lfs, many will test for free (the one I use charges $2) if you can't afford to buy a kit now (get drops - much more accurate over strips). But I would definitely look at buying one in the near future because the condition of your water means everything to your fishies.

Hello Euphomiumqueen. Sorry to hear you lost your fish.

I've read your details and can see that you have several problems with your set-up which will lead to endless problems for your fish. I'll try to explain issue by issue as it will sound like a lot to take in at once.

*I don't have any way to check the levels of my tank

*5 gal. running for 6-9mths

*Aqua-Tech EZ Change #5 Filter(came with tank and is changed often)

*I do a full tank change ever 2-4 weeks

*3 fish: 1 moor about 2-inches long, 1 goldfish a little smaller than the moor but not by much, 1 algae eater about 4-inches long.

*I use stress coat, but that's it.

*no meds.

5 Gals Your tank is way too tiny for even 1 fish, let alone 3. Fancy gfish need 10gals minimum, commons/comets- 20g and some algae eaters need as much as 50g. Both these fish grow very large and produce a very high amount of waste (ammonia). They need more space not only so that they can swim and grow properly but also because in such a small volume of water, toxins and harmful bacteria quickly escalate through the roof; this leads to a high amount of stress and bacterial and fungal infections soon follow. The tank you have would be fine for a few guppies or something small but your fish really need to be found at least 30-40 gals.

Aqua-Tech EZ Change #5 Filter The filters issued with the type of starter tank you have are woefully inadequate in processing the waste output of goldfish and algae eaters.

full tank change ever 2-4 weeks This is far too infrequent. In a healthy well-sized tank, water changes should be carried out weekly. But in a tiny overstocked one like yours the water needs to be completely changed every day. With all the ammonia those fish put out, the level of waste in the tank will be extreemly high after 3 weeks and the PH is very likely to crash into acidity. PH crash kills fish. If you want to keep fish it is very important to have a drop testing kit to measure the water chemistry. It means you can be sure of the safety/toxicity of your fishes water. With fishkeeping the water is everything - it is their support system. If is is polluted they cannot escape.

Is the goldfish a single tailed common goldfish? If so, he needs 20 gals, the moor needs 10. What kind of algae-eater do you have? Some of these fish (like the common pleco) are very bad tank mates for goldies. They like to graze constantly and often at night will creep up on sleeping goldies and eat their slimecoat! He is already quite large.

"By the way, I know about the 20-gals per moor thing, but if they have been in this tank for 6months, why would the signs just now show up?"

This is something people often ask. The explanation is that most animals can survive for a time in poor conditions, but after a while, the effects of the stress and bad hygiene impact on their immune systems and they eventually succumb to illness.

Can you get a bigger tank? If not, it may be the best idea is to return the fish to the fish store and get something much smaller for your tank, like a betta or some guppies. I know this probably sounds awful but the truth is that your fish will not survive altogether in this tank, unfortunately.

There are 2 links below my signature which will be helpful to you to read.

While you are deciding on your options, I would suggest doing an immediate temp-matched, dechlorinated water change - change all . Do this every day from now on. Also, get yourself a test kit for PH ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. API, Tetra and Hagen make them - the fish store will stock one or other.

This is a lot to take in a once I know, so feel free to post back with any other questions you have. :D