Question About Fish Eggs

I put mr miagui in a bucket with the eggs the other day just to see if anything would come of this and I was looking at the eggs today which is day 3 for them..and I think I may see little black dots :krazy: I'm assuming Mr Miagui did his job...does that mean there is fry growing inside ?

Eggs need to be fertilized practically as they are laid. A fertile egg will become very sticky and stick to things. (Not ALWAYS, but commonly).

IF you had eggs and waited an amount of time between when they were released and when you introduced the male fish, you may not have a fertile eggs.

However, thanks to our very own d-golem, I am throughly convinced that the "little black dots" that people see in their eggs are, indeed, little fish eyes. Those little guys are about 1 dayish from hatching when you see the little eyes.

I hope you get a whole bunch of little "Threads with eyes"....

:)

That is GREAT! Have you planned what you are going to feed the fry? If you have not had fry before you will be AMAZED at how little they are. EVery single time I get a hatch out I am STILL amazed at how little they are.

..I think I saw some fry food at wall mart ..(brine shrimp is it ?)I still have to get a sponge filter for the 10g I'm getting ready for them :krazy: ..and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that a fish is going to come out of that iddy biddy egg..........my kids are sooooo thrilled ...I remember my mom letting us take the day off school so we could watch her tropicals have babies ..sorry just a nice calming thought to keep me focused...LOL

Those eggs are HUGE compared to what comes out of them!

Baby brine shrimp - not brine shrimp - are what is best for fry. If you have the money and the desire, I would suggest purchasing the little cubes of frozen baby brine shrimp from the pet stores. They are found in the freezer at the front of the store.

I hatch out my own live BBshrimp - the SanFrancisco variety. It is the littlest. It does not take much to do - it might be a great fun thing for kids to do/see.

IT is not hard. Take a 2 liter plastic pop bottle and cut the bottom off. Turn it upside down and stick it in a bowl or cut box or whatever you can invent to make it stand up. Stick an airstone down to the bottom of the bottle and set it bubbling. (I plumb the airstone in from the lid on the bottom of the bottle, but you can simply drop it in from above if you wish. Use a hole punch to punch a hold in the side of the bottle and feed the airline in through that and it will hold your airline nicely)

You then add brine shrimp eggs (you can order them on line - or usually buy them in a little bottle at the pet store) and salt. I use 1 quart warm water to 1 3/4 Tablespoons large grained aquarium salt to 1 tsp brine shrimp eggs. Drop a small plastic lid over the top of the bottle to help keep it warm and set the bottle next to a small lamp - I use a little lamp with a 25 watt bulb. Leave the lights on 24 hours a day. The temp should hold at about 80F.

The shrimp should hatch out at about 18 hours after you stirred them into the brine. They will look orangey-pink and the egg shells will float and look brown. I turn off the air pump and use a turkey baster to suck out the shrimp - avoiding the egg shells (but the world will not end if you get a few - they float and will make a mess that you can wipe out of your fry tank) - and put them on a coffee filter held in a sieve. All the salt water will go down the drain and the shrimp stay. They will look like orangy brown sludge on the filter. Rinse them gently in fresh water and swish them into the fry tank. You will see them wiggling away in there - and the tiny little fry will dash around gulping them down. IT is SO much fun to see.

After they eat, their little tummies will be all swollen and orange/pink. Kids LOVE it.

(I actually have a far easier shrimp brewery to make - but it takes a bit more work and a few parts from the hardware store. I will tell you if you wish. The one stated here will work great, though. The essentials are warm salt water, light and air)

Feed the fry as often as you can- I try to feed every 2 hours or so. Go ahead and get the sponge filter set up now - it will seed as the fry grow into a need for it.

WOW daryl !!! that is a amazing ! this is exellent to know I may try this with future fry ..my kids would LOVE it they would probably love to do it in their class.(my daughter has her sights on being a bug scientest ..this is up her alley..LOL)I had no clue you could get live shrimp eggs in a bottle at the pet store ..now I'm intrigued ..my pet store does have a huge fridge or somthing that I never thought to look in .....off to the pet store !!!..LOL

Oh Heidi!! How wonderful!! :bighug But but but... Where are the pictures?? :D I've never seen them.. but I've heard that they don't photograph well.

I wish you the best of luck with your babies!!! :heart

Debbie

thanks Debbie ..I tried to take pics ..your right it just looks like i'm taking a pic of the inside of a bucket..LOL

The baby brine shrimp that you hatch from eggs should be fed to the fry within a few hours of hatching. Since you are not feeding them, they start to lose their nutritional value quickly. You hatch a new batch at least every day. When I have a lot of fry to feed, I start a batch at about 2pm for a morning feeding, a batch at 6 pm for a mid afternoon snack and a batch at 10pm for a late afternoon snack. I can usually get 2 feeding from a hatch.

The shrimp are sooooo tiny that newborn fry can eat them. An adult fish would never see them. You can put them into gel food, but that is about it.

Brine Shrimp, though - are a different beastie. They are larger. My 8 week+ big fry love to eat the frozen brine shrimp that come in cubes. They suck them right up. My adults will snarf a whole cube at a gulp, but the ones that thaw off are too little to eat and get lost.

If you buy frozen cubes for the fry - make sure they are the Baby Brine shrimp. The Sanfrancisco strain is the littlest - what you will need for newly hatched fry. If you purchase eggs - they come dry in a little test tube at many pet stores - or you can buy them by the bottle like I do - and you keep the bottle of dry eggs in the fridge until you are ready to hatch them.

HOORAY !!!! I have 6 fry so far ..they are sooooo little..I'm not sure if anymore will hatch..and mrs muggles hasn't dropped anymore eggs ......yet, now I'm hoping she does ..I'm hooked !I got the frozen baby brine shrimp they were out of the ones to hatch...must be a busy spring for fish owners..LOL I havn't the slightest clue as when and how to move them from the bucket to the 10g...I was gonna feed them in a glass jar that is in the bucket and move them while they are in it ...hmmmmm that will be trickey .

:happydance:bounce:happydance Six new babies!!! :wub: How exciting!!! :exactly

I can't offer you any suggestions about moving them. I just know that they're very delicate.

"You will not be permitted to play with!" (line from Lady and the Tramp - seemed to fit :D )

Keep us posted - and keep trying to get pics!! Good luck!!!!! :bighug

Debbie

thanks ..last night I counted 8 but one was dead :( but the others are swimming around I tried to feed today and I think they ate they seemed to swim to the baby brine but it is hard to tell if they are eating it because they are sooooo small ..my husband thinks they are misquito larva :rolleyes: