Fancies In 20g Long Tank?

I have a 20g long that I've been using as a QT/grow out tank.

Since I have goldfish fever (all thanks to you and your awesome fish!) I'm curious to whether or not I could keep one fancy long term in a 20g long?

I have also given thought to using it as a 'pea soup' conditioning tank, and using a power compact light to grow pea soup and keep a goldfish or two a month at a time in there to enjoy the pea soup. I forgot where I read it, but I read goldfish are best kept in 'pea soup' conditions because it increases tehir color and improves their form?

Any thoughts? Thank you. :D

Cool, thanks for the help Heidi! :D

Usually brown algae just means your light isn't bright enough. Try using high powered lights 10-12 hrs a day.

Dose some flourish excel and flourish, and you should get the green water in no time hahah

After I had the huuuge change of heart in wanting to sell my RTGG, and deciding that separating the strains of goldfish I keep would be best for them, my new plan is to have 2 maybe 3 60g tanks.

I only have the crappy lights my hood came with ..they are not that bright ..but ok ...I would just want enough to grow on my pots and for my goldies to nibble at and it would contrast nicley with my black background..my hubby would cra@ if I went green ....he really has no clue..he would think I was neglecting my fish :rolleyes:

I wanted new lights before but had no reason to spend the money and god knows... i spent WAY more on these fish than i EVER though i would when i bought them. Now I REALLY want new lights! When/if i buy new lights what type should I get for my tank? i would like to grow some algae for my fish to nibble at as well and a lite that would bring out the best color of my fish and their tank. Is there a such thing as to brite of a lite?

compact flourescents would work perfect. You wouldn't want one that's the full length of your tank, something smaller because there is such a thing as too much light, if you're only trying to grow green algae on surface in the tank, rather than green water.

Guest iaedyene
i spent WAY more on these fish than i EVER though i would when i bought them.

Boy can I relate to you on this one Melissa! I joke with my husband that my fish was $9.95. The rest of the stuff: meds, new tank (x2), foods, heaters, etc comes to around $300 (prob more) all for a $9.95 fish. LOL