Sign in to follow this  
goldenlady

Ph Crash What To Do

Hi,

I experienced a Ph crash last month because I changed out too much water from my tank, and got some help for that. I used Epsom Salts to raise the Ph. I have forgotten the ratio of Epsom Salts to gallons of water. Does anyone know the formula?

I thought it was baking soda that raised the PH of the water and epsom salt is used to help fish with early dropsy and constipation.

Yes, Stampede you are right. B/soda is needed not epsom

Goldenlady - what is your tap PH and KH reading? If you can post back with a little more info on your tank stats and water chem it will be easier to help. Sounds like the KH might be pretty low and that you may need a regular stabilizer like either crushed coral to raise the alkalinity or a comercial buffer like Buff it Up which you can get from Rick at the GoldfishConnection.

If your source water does turn out to lack sufficient KH (alkalinity) then I would go with these options for your regular regimen, but B/Soda can be used as an interim safety net.

Start with 1 tsp per 50 litres (pre-disolved in tank water) and then test KH and PH after 30 mins to an hour. You should aim for a KH of about 80-100 and be careful not to raise the PH more than .4ppm in 24 hours.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the correction. I tested my Ph yesterday when I did a 50% water change, and it was registering 7.6. I did put some Jungle pH stabilizer in the aquarium. I just tested the water and it is still at 7.6. I don't have a way to test Kh. By the way, one of my fish has redness at his anus and the other fish keeps biting at it. Any idea about that?

I forgot to mention that I put in 3 tsp. baking soda mixed in water and mixed it well in my aquarium. I hope I did the right thing since I already added some pH stabilizer yesterday.

I should also mention that the fish that is being bitten in the anus is the better eater of the two. He is a healthy ranchu with great eyesight and quick responses. The other was introduced after quarantine a month ago. He is a black dragon eye, also healthy, and feeds fine, but doesn't seem to be as alert when food is dropped in. He was swimming around fine and unaggressive before the water change, and today I noticed he keeps following the other fish around and nipping at his bottom, which shows some red now. Can anyone advise?

Guest iaedyene

I'm still new to all of this but I'm a bit confused, I thought 7.6 pH is good - why would you try to stabilize it? What pH level are you shooting for?

Edited by iaedyene

I'm still new to all of this but I'm a bit confused, I thought 7.6 pH is good - why would you try to stabilize it? What pH level are you shooting for?

Yes 7.6 is perfect.

The ideal pH is 7.4, the pH of their blood. However, if it were to deviate, it is always better to go north of 7.4 rather than south. In that sense, the 7.6 is the perfect pH as it gives that extra cushion.

The chasing may be breeding behaviour - did the red vent appear after some time of being nipped?

Regarding the PH, I imagine the PH of 7.6 was after you'd added the Jungle Stabilizer? Why not buy a KH tester? API make a good dropper. If you have ever suffered a PH crash it is important to know about the KH (alkalinity) of your water.

Dragon eyes have poor sight which is why they often appear dopey at feeding time. If you always drop his food in the same place he will get to know your routine and be able to find it more easily. Then you can distract your faster ranchu from that place by dropping his food somewhere else.

Thank you so much for your comments. I had read that 7.5 was desirable pH for goldfish, so I thought I should try for a lower than 7.6. Apparently, 7.6 is what comes out of my tap. I put the stabilizer in because I thought that would reduce the number. And I had misremembered Epsom salts for baking soda. I checked the water pH today and it is at 7.6.

I had a major scare last month when I did too great a water change. My previously healthy fish began to twist to one side as if paralyzed. I was told that it was a pH crash and I was advised to put in baking soda, which worked. This week when I did my 1/2 water change, I put in the stabilizer. I decided to ask this forum about the Epsom salts just to confirm the ratio, which is when I was reminded that it's baking soda you are supposed to use.

The ventral area on my ranchu doesn't show red today. And I've begun to drop food in one corner to train my black dragoneye to look to that corner for a food drop. Thanks for relieving me of my anxieties! I appreciate my goldies and want them happy.

Edited by goldenlady

Well, just to clairy the PH issue.

Do not worry that you must reduce the PH from 7.6 to 7.5 - just leave it. Anything up to the low 8's is fine for goldies and the most important thing is for the PH to be stable. (By the way adding B/soda will raise the PH/KH rather than dropping it)

Just to be sure, I think it would be good to test the KH of your tap water. A score of around 80 - 100 is generally enought to hold the PH steady. Assuming your tap PH and KH are fine, it is important not to mess around with the PH as gfish find it very stressful.

Were you told on this board that the water change caused a crash? It doesn't sound quite right to me. Normally it is the absence of water changes or a very low KH which is resposible for a crash. I wonder if you just forgot the de-chlor on that occasion, or changed in much colder water?

Anyways, the tap KH reading will illuminate things for us. :)

As far as the reddened vent is concerned - just keep an eye on the fish for the next few days. Hopefully it was just the result of chasing and nipping. Males do chase females by nudging at their vent.

I had drained my aquarium of almost all of its water, and refilled with fresh, and added Prime to condition it. My aquarium is a 30 gallon and I put in a little over a half capful of Prime since a whole capful was recommended for 50 gallons. The water felt approximately the same temperature as what had been drained out. When my fish began to curl, I wrote Rick Hess of the Goldfish Connection, and he replied that I had had a pH crash, and told me to add 3 tablespoons baking soda that had been diluted with water. It worked, as my fish recovered almost immediately. I was really scared when I saw the fish look like they were paralyzed.

I am trying to drain 25% of the water out on a weekly basis, but sometimes it goes a couple of weeks, and I drain about 1/3 of the tank out. I have been keeping a bare bottom, but dislike the poop floating throughout the water, and have added gravel, which I will suction when I do the weekly 25% water change. I like the bottom bare because I could see that the fish were eating all of the food, but I think that since they have good sense of smell, they are probably getting all the food. I am also taking your suggestion that I feed at a specific spot. It didn't seem to matter before because I only had the ranchu and he was an efficient eater.

I notice that the ranchu does not show a red vent today and the dragoneye is not chasing and nipping. I don't know why he was biting before, but it seems he has quit.