Carwdad

Kagome100

Ok friend dumped a pet crawdad over at my house. She had NO idea how to take care of it and put it in a tank with some small fish. well yes the crawdad ate the fish and now its at my house... I never had a carwdad and she wont take it back so now im stuck with it. HOW do you take care of one? i know they will eat small fish and large fish might eat it. I know not to have other carwdads in with him *i dont have any others*

ok well i know they eat shrimp pellets and stuff like that. my question is what else do i need to know?

i mostly feed my crayfish little peices of algae wafers and sinking wafers, and the occasinal goldfish crisp or a shred of blanched spinach leaf

they can eat almost anything, but don't put huge peices of food that will lend up fouling the tank

housing them with other crays can lead to too much fighting unless the tank is very large with lots of hiding places

they need a cave or something to hide in, and they will claim it and use it as a little home, perhaps even building a defensive wall of gravel around it

they are great climbers and escape artists, so make sure there aren't any ways out of the tank (like up an air hose or a filter intake)

they don't really need a heater, but they do need a filter to clean and areate the water

they are fun and have lots of personality for invertabrates, and you can even hand feed them if they are very small (a large cray can hurt you if you aren't careful)

they mosly walk at the bottom, but they can flip their tails and "swim" rapidly backwards if frightened

don't be alarmed if they refuse to come out of their cave for a few days, they might be moulting

she said she had him for a week, she bought him for a buck at a pet shop like in another city from me. heres a pic of him

carwdad.jpg

well i want to put him in my 55 gallon tank with two 3inch kois. Will that be ok? or will some one eat each other or something? i will put hides in there.

Edited by Kagome100

the cray might hassle and chase the koi, or the koi might eat him when his shell is soft after moulting

i would get him his own tank, but some people house them with fish

Edited by 13vi