Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jennkerry

Have Tons Of Comet/shubunkin Babies, Dont Know What To Do With Them

Guest Jennkerry

Hey everyone,

I came here to post a thread for my comet/shubunkin babies that hatched out last August. I have kept them in my basement in a 700 gallon baby pool since Sept and now its time for them to find new homes. I found that I cant post in the classified section unti I have 100 posts, so I guess Im asking you guys WHAT site I can post my babies on.

Im not sure if they are comets or shubunkins, Im almost sure that there shubunkins. I started with about 200, but with natural selection, Im down to about 60 that are 2-3" big. Which is STILL ALOT!

Im keeping about 10 which are going in my 4000 gallon pond in the back yard, and some are going in the small 120 gallon in the front.

I cant wait to get that pond out of the basement and have them rejoin their parents and other siblings!

So, if you guys know where I can post to find good homes for them, let me know.

Jen

Jen, you could try offering some a local aquarium society or club. I am sure there are plenty of people there who would be willing to get some of your beauties.

Couple of links to help you find a local club or society.... ---> http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/AquariumSocieties.html and http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Clubs.html....

As a last resort, maybe you can find a nice aquarium store with some caring employees (they are out there, we just have to keep looking! :rolleyes: ) who would be willing to buy some from you. Word of warning - if the fish are small, they might just use them as feeder fish, which of course you don't want.

Guest Jennkerry

Thanks for the links Andrea! Yea, Im doing my best to avoid them being used as food for reptiles or other fish. I posted on Craigslist and on the NJ part of Reefcentral where we are well known for saltwater.

I have gotten some replies from Craigslist already which is good and some co-workers from my husbands job are coming by this weekend to get some. Im really hoping they all go, and to good homes at that!

I will post on those sites that you linked me to...MY BABIES THANK YOU!!!

I wish I lived closer to you! I'd love to come and see what your fish look like!

I've been wanting to get a fish pal for my Shubie, but I want Hubby's input and that's taking time. He set up the 55 gallon for me (and made the stand) so I told him that he could pick the new fish.

Dot's been in there alone for 2 months now, and I'm getting antsy!! :D

Good luck to your fish and their future homes!!

Debbie

I'm in the same boat, but with smaller numbers. I got 18 babies from a friend last summer and grew them out in the basement fish room all winter. They are getting rather large now and I'm doing twice-a-week water changes to keep the water up. The fins on the common babies are not up to my standards for my pond, so I'll probably try to rehome the ten fish with common tails. The others are fancy tails and they are happy growing out in a 75 gallon tank with mega-filtration (two Emperor 400's). I may move them to a pond of their own outside this summer though. I don't know yet.....

A 700 gallon baby pool inside is impressive. I'd love to see a picture of that.... I'm really ready for these fish to move outdoors for the spring, but our weather is not cooperating yet. :-(

Guest Jennkerry

I have 2 that are going in my 29. Its wierd, they seem to have been born without swim bladders. So, they skim across the bottom and eat the food that sinks. Both are fine, and really dont seem bothered by it. But how would I really know if they arent bothered by it!

Obviously they are smaller then the rest, but they are really pretty.

I will post some pictures tonight of what the colorations are. I gotta say, these guys turned out really nice!

You know, I have 2 Shubunkins, 2 Comets, 3 Koi and 1 baby from the last year spring spawn. He's still brown so Im not sure what he is yet. So, even if you get just two fish, you have a 50/50 shot of a mated pair when they hit adulthood.

So, you will end up with TONS of babies during spawning season like I did. Funny enough, when I placed the parents in the new 4000 gallon pond in Oct last year, they spawned!

And atleast 17 survived the winter! So, they are in there, they survived and earned the right to reside in the big pond!

The few that Im keeping are the crem-de-la-crem of "fancy goldfish". Some look to be almost all pink, and a deep pumpkin orange with black blotches. Pretty nice for goldfish!

I'll be back with pics!

One other place I just remembere - Aquabid.com. Its free there as well. :)

Guest BruceH

I lost my shubunkin over the winter. I would love to take some off your hands. I live in Princeton NJ. Are you anywhere close to there?