Do Fish Adopt Aggressive Behavior?

kiwi

I had my comet in with two .15 cent feeder fish, who have been with each other for at least 5 years, and they didn't like him. I noticed them picking on him and decided to move him into another tank with my two fantails. I recently made the change, and now he is chasing them around the tank. They are very friendly, but run from him while he chases. Are they just "playing" or has he adopted the aggressive behavior from the feeder fish? Should I wait a few days and watch his behavior to see if it improves, or immediately move him to another tank?

*He is 2" and the fantails are both 1" each.

+edit (I realize there are a number of questions in this, and it /maybe/ should have been posted in the question thread, but I thought it fit better in with goldfish discussion/care. If I'm wrong, feel free to move.)

Edited by kiwi

It's probably playing as long as the fish don't seem stressed about it. If the fish are swimming as frantically as possible to get away, and injuries are resulting, then you should get him out.

As far as food goes, it depends on the fish. Some people have no problem with fancies being with comets, and some people do. You just have to monitor to make sure everyone's getting their share.

I have a 20 gallon tank --> I had originally planned on keeping only the two fantails in it, but after watching the comet with the feeder's, I added him in. It isn't overcrowded yet because they're all babies, but just incase in the summer, I plan on putting the comet out into our ponds. C: