The Full Story

I havent been very honest with some of you because i didnt want you to think i was a bad fish owner well this is everything:

I have one goldfish as you know sammy who is a comet, he's in a 15 gallon tank and the moment on his own with no filter or airpump. I didnt want to get him a filter because im scared of change, i'm afraid it will make him weak or he'll be scared or pulled into it... all this talk of all the chemicals and things in the water and water tests scares me, i dont understand i dont want to risk anything happening to him so I keep him in a filterless tank. I want to eventually get a filter though now ive joined this place and many people all over the internet have told me i've doomed him to a slow death.. but i cant afford it..i'm 14 years old and get ?10 pocket money a month so he wouldn't be able to have all this stuff for a pretty long time..anyone i tell this assumes the worst of me and tells me to give him up..but i dont want to basicly i love him..and around where i live although it may not sound like it sammy has the biggest tank and is the longest living fish i know, my friends would never have him and look after him properly and 'd never give him to a pet shop the ones around here are aweful he'd never even make it out.

Is it really so bad being in the tank he's in until he gets a filter and it properly set up?? If it is i could look for a job on the weekends or something..? His new tank is getting pretty dirty very quickly though and its hard to look after it without a filter, so i just want to know is he really safe for now??

thankyou :)

p.s a confession, no matter how many times someone explains i cant use a gravel cleaner lol

That is okay you are not a bad fish mum it takes more courage and bravery to admit it than to lie about it. I understand how hard it can be i am only 15, although the age difference provides me with a slight more money increase since i am legally old enough to work.

Filtration in any tank is key it not only keeps the water clean of physical waste it provides surface movement so oxygen is being introduced into the tank and also provides a large platform for the Beneficial Bacteria to breed and grow. You are experiencing yucky brown water due to the fact that there is no filter. A filter is a good idea as said above as it can provide aeration to tank which can stop the water from going stagnant which can potentially poison your fish. Could you ask your parents for some financial assistance and then pay them back in monthly increments of 10pounds? Also water quality is key so you really need to test you water weekly to provide pristine water conditions for your fishy. At the moment your water readings are most likely off the charts. While he is living in his current environment you should do 75%-100% water changes daily. You may be able to work something out with your parents about the filter. If you can not afford the water tests you could go to the pet store and have them test a sample you just need them to give you the exact results. They should be more than happy to do it for free. Kind off an impractical wsy to test your water but it may work for you.

I understand that you wish to keep him but with out the finances you may not be able to keep him happy and healthy and the responsible thing to do would be to pass him to an lfs or a friend.

Oh and here is a short video on how to start a siphon. (I use this method but there are heaps of other ways for getting one to start.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGU-IQk_xO8

Edited by dan in aus

okay thankyou and today i went to the pet shop and bought a filter :D I could never give him to a friend because they would look after him worse than i do, they dont fully appreciate goldfish are animals and think i'm a little pathetic for loving him like i do lol, but i'll do reguar water changes until i get his filter set up :D oh and thanks for the link

whist we're on the subject (sort of) can someone please tell me how to cycle a tank? or give me a link or something?? thankyou i'm really clueless on that sort of thing and how long does it take? and whats the best type of filter to get? i have interpet internal power filter PF1. Anyone else have that? is it good? because sammy sort of has a little phobia of filters lol

thanks

Take the siphon hose to the sink and fill it, then take it back to the tank and hold your thumb over both ends. Insert one end in the tank, and one end in the bucket, while still holding your thumb over the hose ends. Then take your thumb off the hose ends. The siphon will start automatically with no need to suck on one end of the hose. I do this with my Guppy tank because I can't use the Python with such small fish and it works every time.

As for your goldfish, you can cycle the new filter, by doing a 50% water change every other day for a month. By then the filter will be cycled and you can slowly move back to once a week water changes. Don't go past three days without a water change in the first month -- it will be very bad for your goldfish. When I had bettas I cycled the tank by doing water changes every three days for the first month, then everything evened out..... Check your water perameters, of course, to be sure you're fully cycled.

I admire you for posting and wanting the best for your goldfish, and I completely understand why you don't want to give him away. You'll be fine, just keep up with those water changes. Take care of the water and your goldfish will thrive! :-)

Nicole, I'm cycling my 29 gallon tank with two ranchu goldfish in it. I change the water 25% or 50% every other day. It is a lot of work but since you love your fish like I do, it is a labor of love! This will help keep the ammonia and nitrites down so your fish can live in the cycling take without any harm done to them. I think a fishless cycle takes longer but I know it is a little scary having your fish in the tank while cycling! But, if you keep up the water changes and test the water, you and your fish will be fine! Testing the water is easy. I use the API freshwater master kit and it comes with everything you need. You just fill up the little tube with the tank water and put the drops in the tube and wait for the color change. I feel like a scientist doing it, lol! Good luck!

that's great that you got a filter! Sammy will have no problem agjusting to it, but if you feel that if the out flow is too strong for Sammy, you can put a plastic plant or an ornament in front of the flow, so it will break it up a bit :) I cycled my 30 gal with fish also, it is safe as long as you keep the water parameters under control by doing lots of water changes LOL! the hard work will pay off though :D

btw, by your other topic, your tank is 15 UK gal, but it is actually 18 US gal ;)

ok thankyou everyone for all the help! I'm going to try starting to cycle it today but i'm quite worried so i'm going to keep a spare tank of water set up all the time because if he starts to get ill i can move him and we'll then start a fishless cycle :) approximately how long until the cycling is finished? and what do the water levels have to be to make sure it's safe for sammy throughout?

ok so i need to:

set up the tank

wait a day or two

put in sammy

every two days for 6 weeks do a 25 - 50% water change

after that 25-50% water changes for ever once a week.

i think that's right is it?? I have Nutrafin biological aquarium supplement, should i add this?? will it help? and do i have to keep adding it or only once? if i keep adding it do i treat the new water i put in his tank? thanks

When in May are you leaving? If it's the end of the month you'll probably be alright. Do a big water change before you leave. Will someone be feeding him while you are gone?

Don't forget to add dechlorinator/water conditioner to your water when you do all those water changes.

i've just started up the tank :D with the new filter, it's no way near as noisy as the one sammy last had for all of 5 seconds lol it makes a nice trickling sound which i love unlike the other one which just buzzed lol, i'm going to wait for it to come to temperature, then buy some prime tomorrow and a good water testing kit before adding sammy i'm scared to add him but a bit excited too lol :D