Umm...you Guys.

A true, show Tosakin is best kept in an envrionment with a minimum of water currents. A show fish is commonly kept in a round container - with the thought that any currents that do occur are directed in a "round" fashion to hold the tail.

A less than "Show Quality" fish that you simply wish to enjoy can be kept in any standard aquarium. I have Broadtail Ryukins that are a cross with Tosakins - someone thought that it would give them "better tails". They have the full Tosakin spread of the tail. They do just fine in a standard tank with the standard filtration, etc.

With any extreme finned goldfish, you do not want to have any sharp objects in the tank. They are also very sensitive to poor water parameters. It is extremely important that you NEVER cycle a tank with a long-finned fish - and you keep the ammonia/nitrite to zero and I would suggest keeping the nitrates VERY low - I keep mine at 5ppm and under.

Thanks a bunch! I really had no idea how to care for tosakins...I was at ''that place'' today to get some zebra finches for my little brothers for Easter. And ...well, you know any self-respecting kokos member couldn't go there without taking a glance at the goldfish tanks. I saw him in the ryukin tank...and I about dropped. I've NEVER saw a tosakin in the ''real'' world, just in pictures. I instantly called one of the young girls over there to bag him for me!

On another note, I've been sending you PM's Carol, have you got them?! ...Oddly enough, about your broadtail ryukins :P

But, just to add to my general ''Pets***Mart'' horror story...my shopping experience today with them was horrible! The fish department, eh...soso...but the bird department!? Ohhh boy. They had ONE pair of zebra finches. And the young girl who was trying to catch them for me...well, the the male flew into the rat cage. THEN, after about waiting ten minutes of trying to catch him...she finally caught him. Then she came up to me and said ''Take the contract up there and pay for them, then we'll release them to you.'' ...Okay, so I did. And they rung up 44 DOLLARS EACH! ...Now, I had worked a double sixteen hour shift at the hospital the night before, so my fight was gone :P ...I just said. ''...Ma'mm, that's wrong.'' So she called the bird department and THEY SAID IT WAS RIGHT! ...I said ''I was just holding the ticket with them and they are NOT forty-four dollars. NO way.'' ...So they actually had to bring the little ticket over there showing the price. Oy. It just seems like a general attitude there of being bothered. Which I don't like at all :P There WAS some sorry looking sickly goldfish...but what else is new? It makes me so sad to realize that at LEAST 75 percent of those goldfish aren't going to ever find a loving home. And I'm grouping together those that will probably pass away there, and those that will pass away in a bowl...or critter carrier. Sigh.

I'll keep everyone updated on my tosakin! I need a name for him! I'm thinking Wiggly. Or Wubbles.

I got your most recent one, Allen. I have to admit, I do not know if there are going to be any fry in that group that are going to be worth squat..... they are a really strange batch. I will NEVER breed that combination again!

That said, if you are willing to pay shipping, you are welcome to anything that is "anything" from that group. Most look to be blue - and a few going to be red..... they are still REALLY little - only about 1/2 inch, though they are filling in quickly right now. Their bellies are dropping and their tails, (some) are acceptable. It is their backs that are the HUGE questionmark. I culled over 85% for back aberations alone.

I think they need a few more weeks before I can consider what might be reasonable to share in that group. They also need to be AT LEAST 12-16 weeks old to be able to be shipped reasonably......I think they are 6-7 now? I would have to look it up.

I will not forget you, though. Keep bugging me, ok? :)

I actually have a couple of lionhead fry from last year that may be looking for homes, too, soon. I am not sure, yet. One is a lemon head and the other is a weird green/blue/white - but may become mostly white. They are Bubba's and Peaches' fry - about 10 months old - 2 inches or so. Their wens are started but I do NOT think that they will develop a full Lionhead wen. They have nice smooth backs and good tails but do not have the "flat" classical backs of the Chinese Lionhead, nor do they have the deep tuck of a good Ranchu. The jury is still out - but I do not think I need them for any breeding line, nor do I think they are good enough for show.

But, just to add to my general ''Pets***Mart'' horror story...my shopping experience today with them was horrible! The fish department, eh...soso...but the bird department!? Ohhh boy. They had ONE pair of zebra finches. And the young girl who was trying to catch them for me...well, the the male flew into the rat cage. THEN, after about waiting ten minutes of trying to catch him...she finally caught him. Then she came up to me and said ''Take the contract up there and pay for them, then we'll release them to you.'' ...Okay, so I did. And they rung up 44 DOLLARS EACH! ...Now, I had worked a double sixteen hour shift at the hospital the night before, so my fight was gone :P ...I just said. ''...Ma'mm, that's wrong.'' So she called the bird department and THEY SAID IT WAS RIGHT! ...I said ''I was just holding the ticket with them and they are NOT forty-four dollars. NO way.'' ...So they actually had to bring the little ticket over there showing the price. Oy. It just seems like a general attitude there of being bothered. Which I don't like at all :P There WAS some sorry looking sickly goldfish...but what else is new? It makes me so sad to realize that at LEAST 75 percent of those goldfish aren't going to ever find a loving home. And I'm grouping together those that will probably pass away there, and those that will pass away in a bowl...or critter carrier. Sigh.

I'll keep everyone updated on my tosakin! I need a name for him! I'm thinking Wiggly. Or Wubbles.

Hmmmm... thats really strange. I work at a Pets*mart, and our zebra finches are only $22 canadian. same price as the society finches.

But i know what you mean about the goldfish not going to good homes. This girl Melissa who works there, and myself, we know how much room the fish need, and we can refuse sales if people want to overstock tanks and stuff. Thats a good thing about working there. LIke.... We had this family coming to us holding a "1/4 QUART goldfish bowl" (thats exactly what the tag said) and pointed at the comet tank and said "we will take three of those please" I was shocked. The bowl was barely even the length of one of the fish, and they wanted to stuff three in there. Hah. yeah right. they went home with zero fish.

Well, once they brought the ticket over there the cashier DID see that they were only sixteen dollars. I'm so envious of you working at Petssssmart. I do know my limitations though, I know I could never have a job there or else I'd lose control of myself and one day wind up with a hundred birds, fish, and small rodents ._.;

Guest Phreno

A tosakin at Petssmart? I'm jealous. o:

I've wanted one of those for ages, but I've never actually seen one before.

And that's crazy about the finches haha. I don't think I'd pay 44 dollars for a bird!

Oh, and is that Mana I see there? =]

Edited by Phreno

I'm honestly thinking it was an accident that came from whatever fishfarm they import from. It was in a tank full of ryukins...you have no idea the feeling I got when I bought Wubbles. I was in shock AND awe. Wubbles doesn't have the awe-inspiring ZOMG tail of the tosakins I've saw before on sites, it has the ''Oh wow.'' tail of the fry I've saw on those same sites :P

...And yes, this is Mana you see here...well...

v There.

Edited by Allen

Guest Phreno

Lucky! The coolest thing I've found at my local fish store was an 8 inch Oranda heh. What a wen on that thing.

I often wonder where the fish are imported from though? I'd like to think they're all bred in the US.

Shipping fish overseas sounds.. risky.

Mana is awesome haha. I've heard a few songs my Moi dix Mois, if that's how its spelled.