My Gw Is Cloudy....

I have a 10 gallon tank that has a cloudy green water.. it was a accident when the water start turning green... the water started become cloudy then after it turned green... my filter is on always and i don't have my light on all the time? is that a different green water .. i changed water but i can't seem to get my water clear (like a mist in the water...) :( ... how can i get the green water to turn clear ? i want to keep the green water and the only way i can think of is to change all the water and grab some clear water from my other tanks ... IS IT SUPPOSE TO BE CLOUDY??

Edited by alanworm

Is it near a window with natural light? That will cause it too go green. You can either do daily waterchanges or put some carbon in your filter.

Its funny its not really direct sunlight but then there are some sunlight that can shine through ... but i hvn't open the blinds for ages ... ^^ i have carbon in the filter ... i have it on light green for now .. changed about 90% of the water ... but the water is still abit blurry ..

I guess I do not understand.... do you WANT green water or do you want clear water?

ONce you have floating green algae cultured in your tank, you will continue to get green algae in the water unless you do a rather dramatic change. If you are actually using green water for filtration, the green water is all removed every so often (5 days for me) and the tub completely cleaned. 20% of the green is readded to "seed" the green water again. A cloudly green water is not a healthy green water.

If you want clear water and have green, you can use an UV unit to clear the water nicely. IF you do not have or wish to have an UV unit, you can simply change out 100% of the water and wipe down all the surfaces. That will clear the green. If the water is cloudy - is the tank still cycling? What amount of filtration are you using?

Keep your nitrates lower and you will not encourage the algae to grow.

i had the same thing happen in my 29 gallon cause its near the window now, carbon didnt remove it and neither does a large waterchange, i usually do 50% and it doesnt look any clearer than before but im keeping it as long as it stays cause its keeping my params good

for me the green water isn't a problem ... since i got it might as well just keep using it ... its better anyways ... but is there anyway to clear the cloudiness? i changed 70% of the water today and its still a bit cloudy..

maybe i'll keep like alittle and start off with some new water and stay with my old filteration.. that might still keep the green water and clear off the cloudiness .. will that work ??

all the readings are 0 .. thats the odd part !

It does not look cloudy in those pictures. Green water is really really hard to see on a computer screen. Green water, in person, is a learned culture.... I spent quite a while studying green water when in Singapore a few years back - looked at dozens of tubs of water to try to guage what a "growing green", "thick", "sick", "good", "fry green", "spawning green", "Sun green", etc. all looked like.

ARe you doing a true "greenwater culture" or are you just running the tank with green water?

I spent quite a while studying green water when in Singapore a few years back - looked at dozens of tubs of water to try to guage what a "growing green", "thick", "sick", "good", "fry green", "spawning green", "Sun green", etc. all looked like.

seem I have to book flight to Singapore to study green water. lol

It does not look cloudy in those pictures. Green water is really really hard to see on a computer screen. Green water, in person, is a learned culture.... I spent quite a while studying green water when in Singapore a few years back - looked at dozens of tubs of water to try to guage what a "growing green", "thick", "sick", "good", "fry green", "spawning green", "Sun green", etc. all looked like.

ARe you doing a true "greenwater culture" or are you just running the tank with green water?

lol i'm a bit lost already... i think i'm just running the tank with green water... but whats the difference if u don't mind me asking !

Greenwater culture means that you are letting the free floating green algae that is in the tank process the fish's waste - ammonia. You do not have a nitrogen cycle going in the tank- the algae does the work.

Greenwater requires culturing enough algae that the needs of the tank are taken care of, without becomeing too thick for health. A filter is often used - for turnover and oxygenation - usually a slow filter. Greenwater tubs are cleaned every few days - the fish is lifted out and the entire tank is emptied - reserving a percentage of the green water to "seed" the greenfor the next round. The tub is scubbed and the percent green water replaced with fresh water and the fish is placed back in the tub.

Green water is simply water that has a large amount of green free floating alage in it. You are running on a standard Nitrogen cycle or chemically cleaning the water or....something else.

:)

Greenwater culture means that you are letting the free floating green algae that is in the tank process the fish's waste - ammonia. You do not have a nitrogen cycle going in the tank- the algae does the work.

Greenwater requires culturing enough algae that the needs of the tank are taken care of, without becomeing too thick for health. A filter is often used - for turnover and oxygenation - usually a slow filter. Greenwater tubs are cleaned every few days - the fish is lifted out and the entire tank is emptied - reserving a percentage of the green water to "seed" the greenfor the next round. The tub is scubbed and the percent green water replaced with fresh water and the fish is placed back in the tub.

Green water is simply water that has a large amount of green free floating alage in it. You are running on a standard Nitrogen cycle or chemically cleaning the water or....something else.

:)

okay now i'm sure.. i'm the second one .. the green water culturing.. i have my filter running and do scrubing and change water ... but i don't take the fish out ... i just do normal water change ....