Wow I Have A Pond Now!

Trico

Today my mom and I went to a home improvement center to look at preformed ponds. A 160 gallon with an adequate filter for goldfish would cost around 300 dollars, not including the task of building a hole in the ground, and the fish to boot. My mom said; why doon't we just use the hotub? I pondered for a second and then thought it was a great idea! We have never used it since it doesn't work, and its been cleansed outside by natural time of 6 years without a cover. It holds water, and it holds 400 Gallons of water Too, so I don't have to dig anything either!

Hi Trico, I do note that you are from Mars and I don't know what your winters are like there. :unsure:

Just a thought as winter is passing, how much will the water freeze there in the wintertime? Something above-ground I think would freeze more solid than something dug into the ground - something to ask perhaps on the pond sub-forum here. I am planning to make a pond this year, and I'm excited, too!

Good luck with your new pond, nice and large!

Well in Oregon (its a region of mars don't worry) the temps can get into the teens. Around here its starting to warm up and my tulips are starting to grow! Anyway, its hovering around 50 -60 here, so in a few weeks I'll put fish in there if all goes well.

Edited by Trico

Guess that makes us Martians then!! :P Guess we could be green from all the moss and mold in this rainy place. I think your mom's idea is fabulous and I really hope it works for you. If it gets too cold next winter I'm sure you could get a hot tub cover and just make a breathing hole in it somewhere. Also, hot tubs are supposed to be heated anyway--maybe get the heater fixed??

Guess that makes us Martians then!! :P Guess we could be green from all the moss and mold in this rainy place. I think your mom's idea is fabulous and I really hope it works for you. If it gets too cold next winter I'm sure you could get a hot tub cover and just make a breathing hole in it somewhere. Also, hot tubs are supposed to be heated anyway--maybe get the heater fixed??

Yep martians :rofl

I'll see what I can cook up this next weekend, clean it all etc.

Hmmm... that does sound like a good idea! If it gets to cold could you buy an aquarium heater to keep the temp right?

Sure, but I plan for fish in their when its around 70 degrees consistently outside. I was thinking of fancies for the small pond, and when I get the 7000 gallon one up it'll be a single tail one.

A hot tub is a terrific idea for a goldfish pond.... I know of another person who has one set up for fancy tails. She's got it planted heavily and you don't even know it's a hot tub. Post pics when you can! Great idea to recycle like that!

I wouldn't stock the hot tub that heavily...... The fish will breed, so that has to be taken into account as well. Also, plants displace the water so that will lessen the number of gallons in the hot tub. Plants are an incredibly important part of the eco-system, so don't skip them..... The fish will feel much more secure with a lot of plants in the tank/tub.

Ideally, you could start with a couple of water lilies in the bottom, maybe a pot of iris or two on a shelf, and a few pots of a submerged plant like anacharis. Goldfish love to nibble on the anacharis and it makes them feel secure to hide in it. You can float water lettuce and water hyacinth for them as well.

I could see six to eight fish in a tub of that size to start with. You'll be surprised at how easily they will breed.....

Hookay, I finally got out all that decaying matter that smelled greater or equal to mass fartage. The pond is almost complete. Gotta take a look at the filter though. Anyway, I will see what I can do to vermin proof it, because I know I have had racoons and skunks from them gorging on previous poultry. This past summer we caught a skunk, and lets just say its not going to be eating any more of our chickens.

Hookay, I finally got out all that decaying matter that smelled greater or equal to mass fartage. The pond is almost complete. Gotta take a look at the filter though. Anyway, I will see what I can do to vermin proof it, because I know I have had racoons and skunks from them gorging on previous poultry. This past summer we caught a skunk, and lets just say its not going to be eating any more of our chickens.

I am sure Trico(the dog) can fight off the racoons and the skunks...he looks like a mean one